1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

over-under trap guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gspointer, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gspointer

gspointer TS Member

I was wondering what you all think of owning an over under only for competing in registered shoots. I found a 682 o/u for sale, a little more affordable than buying a combo. I currently shoot a 391 and am having good results, but would prefer a break over gun. Is there much of an advantage shooting a SBT gun over the o/u?
    Thanks for any input

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

For a reloader, O/U are a godsend v. picking up your hulls. Plus, they're cleaner & require less maintenance.

Having two different choke constrictions can be handy, and folks don't mind about shooting to the right side of a 682.

There's nothing inferior with a well-mannered 391 and it's preference more than anything 'real' about a combo over an O/U - that 'too much windage' in a crosswind is mostly bullshit.

At the end of the day, balance and fit matter, and the 682 is a lifetime gun ... unless/until you get gun-fever.

my dos pesos, and worth what you paid for it.

Bob

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Check the regulation of the barrels (test fire). Beretta 682's had some problems with both barrels shooting to the same POI. I know, I had one and so did a friend.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

There's the old story, be wary of the man who shoots only one gun... you can be deadly with whatever gun you choose to own.

Echoing some of what was said above, you'd get a break action with two choke opportunities. If at some point you felt a single barrel was necessary, you could always have a barrel fitted.

A fine Beretta double will not let you down in competition, if you do your part!

regards,

Jay

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Barrel length could be an issue. There are a lot of 30" O/Uers out there and you don't see that many 30" anythings on the 27 yard line. Not exactly sure why, just stating a fact.

The taller profile of the O/U barrels makes it more sensitive to crosswinds. Not a lot, but more than a single barrel.

Having said that, the O/U is a large improvement over an auto and allows you to be competitive in singles, doubles, and essentially handicap without all of the usual mechanical issues, picking up empties, and making enemies on your right. Good luck.

6. gspointer

gspointer TS Member

I use a shell catcher so i dont have to worry bout those to the right. I am almost scared to trade for an over under, cause I feel like Im shooting pretty good with my auto 32 inch barrel. frequent 25's on singles and around 22 23 for caps. I suppose i would get used to a change though. Thanks for your opinions.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

fspointer, try using that shell catcher in doubles. Most people who shoot the 391's do so because of recoil. A gas operated auto like yours takes out some of the recoil to the point that they enjoy it better. The O/U does not do this. If the 682 is the new style gold E with the optima choke barrel system I say try to buy it. If its the older 682 with standard Moble chokes or fixed I'd stay away from it as these were the ones that had the POI problem and will kick you slightly more than the newer Optima choke oversized barrels will. I have not heard of any problems with the POI in the newer Optima choked guns. Not having to bend over to pick-up my hulls for reloading makes it well worth while. Cleaning is also a big advantage for having a O/U as well. Good Luck and hopes this helps you out some. Break-em all. Jeff

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My advice to new shooters is to try many guns until they find the one they want; works best for them. However, I always recommend focusing on either the auto-loaders and Over/Unders as both of them will permit the new shooter the opportunity to try any of the shooting games with guns that permit two shots. You may want to try doubles trap, international trap, skeet, or sporting clays, 5 stand, and so on and all of those games require or permit a second shot while the break open single barrel does not. Is the O/U a good idea? Many of those I've advised have stuck with their original purchase, an O/U, and have never moved away from that gun. There was a time in my 35 years of shooting clays that my Rem. 3200 O/U was my only trap gun and it served me well including several 100s registered in singles and a few yards advanced. Is it a good idea? It's up to you to decide.....Bob Dodd

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I shoot 692X Beretta combos and I have gotten very good service out of them. Your specific question was whether you will want/need the single barrel and I'm guessing you will. But that doesn't have to put the brakes on your ideas to buy a 682 O/U at this time. Used single barrels come up for sale on this forum regularly and fitting them to a different receiver is usually fairly simple. So it is possible to get the O/U now and make it into a combo later.

Now as to why is the single barrel better (other than for doubles) well that is pretty subjective and as Bob Dodd says you owe it to youself to try a variety of guns and form your own opinions on what works for you.

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I chose to simplify my life a couple of years ago. All I use these days is a 682 Gold E O/U trap. I have had under singles, over singles, semi autos, etc. I choke with an improved Mod in the bottom, Full in the top, and am ready for singles/doubles all the way to the back. If I miss a target, it has nothing to do with gun configuration. No worries, good luck

11. James.c

James.c Member

If your shooting your 391 good dont change guns. just because majority of shooters shoot a break doesnt mean you have to. your 391 will do anything the 682 will do. unless your gun doesnt fit you right or doesnt fell right then dont get rid of it.

James.C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
over and under trap gun

over under for trap singles and doubles

who shoots gas operated guns in trap