1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

over/under shotgun question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

'when reading for sale ads about over/under shotguns, there often is a reference to the position of the top release lever. ie whether it is right of center or at center of the axis of the barrels. I assume it has something to do about the wear or condition of the action, but I do not understand what it is all about. Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks,

JMAC

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The lever controls a part of the action that wedges closed when the gun is closed. As a gun wears, the lever moves further over toward center as the wedge wears. A new gun will have the lever right of center when closed and will work closer to center as the gun wears. It is a way of checking how much wear a gun has had, by looking at the position of the lever in relation to the center of the action. A worn out gun will also show the wear by looseness in the action and barrel connection with the forearm removed. Mark

3. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Clear and informative. Thanks, Mark

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There are, however, lockup designs that don't fit into this situation, don't start out with the opening lever off to the right nor move substantially to the left with wear. I'm not an expert on the subject and can't give examples but beware the "dilemma" does not apply to all mechanisms.......breakemall

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Darnes ...

6. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

SKB and Weatherby (made by SKB), as Bobby Dodd states, do not fit this scenario. Guns with Greener type locking mechanisms start and stay centered. They also are not designed to wear out in order to keep the gun closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stoger condor release lever is in center