1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Over-Under question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

What are the disadvantages of shooting an over-under gun for singles? Do many people use an over-under for singles?

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Leo Harrison uses his DT 10 O/U barrel for singles.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you have to shoot in a crosswind much over 10-12 mph you'll find that the added profile of the stacked barrels will catch the wind more than a single barrel and make the gun tougher to hold steady before the pull and tougher to swing into the wind...and on days when the gusts top 25 the experience is real "sporty".

Keller

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

...which is negated by being 2-3" shorter and generally not having a sail for a rib..

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

For the better part of 35 years I primarily shot o/u's. In that time I played with a few singles but always went back. Shot em from dead calm to 62 mph winds. Shot in every back ground imaginable. I cannot say that at anytime did it feel as though I was handicaping myself or I would have done something about it.

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I shot a Winchester 101 O/U for manny years. Bottom barrel at 16 yards and many times back at 22. Shot it well, IMHO. After a 14 year absence from trapshooting and with the 101 long gone, I bought a new XT Browning. Now I had been shooting sporting clays but had a yearning to get back into trap. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that XT. So recently I sent it out to Rod's Custom Stocks for one of his adjustable combs and an adjustable Gracol. Stay tuned.....

8. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I agree with Barry C. Roach.......I shoot an un-single combo now but shot an o/u for years before --- no (zero) difference in scores. Even though there is very little difference in the feel of the gun, there may actually be an advantage for shooting the O/U for it all. I think it is a personal choice - as are most of the selections we make.
    As for wind effects as mentioned --- many years of shooting competitive rifle (standing, seated and prone) gave me several experiences and conclusions ---- # 1, when standing, the wind will blow (make un-stable) your body around much more than your gun. #2, the wind will generally affect your mentality and physic more than it affects other factors (and if you believe it is the wind – it is indeed the wind). #3, unless you have a wind meter, most people tend to overestimate wind speed (actual MPH of wind not as high as people think). And #4, as wind speed increases and wind direction switches - effects on the target flight is more extreme than on gun movement.

9. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"As for wind effects as mentioned --- many years of shooting...gave me several experiences and conclusions ---- # 1, when standing, the wind will blow (make un-stable) your body around much more than your gun."</I></blockquote>Sorry... I forgot to consider the bloated physiques of many trap shooters that would make your statement true. At 5'10" and 160 lbs with slight frontal area, my gun gets blown around more by wind than I do.

Keller

10. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Keller, you are being sarcastic, right? (first post)

11. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I can tell you there is less than ahand full of people in the whole of Australia that use single barrels. Everyone here uses the O/U for everything.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using them, I think the single barrel guns were just something someone started up in the USA and it caught on because they look 'cool'. I have been looking for a better explanation but haven't been given one that holds any weight.

Someone said it eliminated the chance of putting a shell in the wrong barrel. While this is true, After putting hundreds of rounds in a gun each day I didn't think this was a legitimate excuse to buy another gun/barrel. If you can't think enough to load a gun properly you probably shouldn't be using it.

12. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

I don't know if Keller was being sarcastic in the first post or not. (as Redcobra asked)

But he is certainly out and out rude in the second post. No need for that. And certainly no need to boast like he is some big hunk of a man at "5'10" and 160 lbs". He sounds like a skinny little runt to me.

Sorry, but I don't like rude people, nor people that are big & brave talkers while hiding behind a computer many miles away.

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Unknown1, since 2000, 6'1"/165

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I spent a great deal of time with only a O/U once I discovered doubles. Shot several 100s at 16 yards with the O/U.......breakemall

15. Unknown1

Redbone

Post 1...where do you see any sarcasm...it's all fact...post 2... yeah it was intended as sarcasm not crudeness... went overnight fishing and didnt see yer post til this AM... sorry I struck a sensitive nerve with you. Keller

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

"venturi effect"; "laminar flow"

Cool, I knew my 3200's were special, but not THAT special!

Guy Babin

17. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Unsteadiness of shooting an O/U during windy days...I get it...its why I wear pants when I shoot.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

No disadvantage at all. I shoot O/U's for singles and doubles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.