1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Over/Under for dove and quail

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by doogiebarnes, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doogiebarnes

doogiebarnes TS Member

I would like to get your thoughts on an inexpensive over under for birds. I would like to get a 12g and a 20g for my kids.

Ideas? New or used?

Thanks for you help and advice

2. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i used to shoot with a very experienced quail shooter and he used a remington 1100 12 guage with five ahells loaded at a time. he owned 90,000 acres around archer city, texas where he took out the cross fences so as to make it easier to hunt quail. he would take 12 dogs in the truck an release two at a time for 20 minutes then put them back in the truck ands then two fresh ones for another 20 minutes and on and on. (the dogs were never overworked) he had 30 dogs and two trainers, those were the days.

3. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the man with all of the dogs was my wife's cousin and wealthy but he liked remington 1100s, nuff said.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You won't find any good low cost O/U guns but even if you did they are not the best choice for a beginner. You can get very good pump action guns and some used autoloaders in the $500 range. The M1100 Remington is a great one that you should look seriously at. If you go that route, you could just stick with 12 guage guns all around and just use light 1 Oz target loads. Plently of shell for dove and quail and recoil is similar to most 20 guage field loads.

The M1100 is also easy to operate as a single shot and/or carried action open if desired which is a nice feature for new shooters.

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

watch the used ads for a used franchi or balkai. These are not real quality shotguns, but should be fine for hunting. I do agree with some of the others and look at non O/U. I started with a 870FW in 20 gauge and have killed hundreds of quail with it before upgrading. I would also recommend the 20 for all of you. Less weight of gun and shells. If you have to do a lot of walking, every ounce will count especially early season.

6. darr

darr Well-Known Member

The least costly O/U I would recommend for hunting,not clay shooting but hunting would be the Ruger Red Label.They are a fine hunting gun but will not hold up to thousands of shots that clay sports require.

Darr

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

There is one very good reason to purchase a break open gun for a kid, especially a beginner. Absolutely safe when open and easy to see whether open or closed from a distance. No pump forend or charging handle and their associated more complex loading/un-loading procedures.

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I would start them with a 20 gauge pump and see what happens from there. A 20 gauge is all you will ever need for dove or quail and a pump is a good way to learn how to safely shoot a shotgun. They are cheap and reliable. Almost everyone I hunt with started with a pump.

9. Bulldog50

Bulldog50 TS Member

I have just recently bought an O/U shotgun for my wife for infrequent use. I did a lot of research on the "low end" over and under shotguns. Most are made in Turkey (Stoeger, Mossberg Silver Reserve, etc.), or Russia (Remington Spartan, New Charles Daly). The seems to be a lack of Quality Control in these models.

I finally wound up buying a Traditions Field Hunter 20 gauge with 26 in barrels, made by Fausti in Italy. My research on these guns showed little negative feedback on different forums. This caused me to come to the conclusion that I would rather have a "low end" O/U that was made in Italy. I bought it used over the internet on gunbroker.com. The quality far exceeds the Turkish or Russian guns. The only comlaint is a stiff action, but I will address that by polishing some of the surfaces. They are no longer imported, but Traditions still upholds the warranty on the new ones still on dealers shelves. If you need extra chokes, Traditions is selling off their remaining supply for $ 9.99 each, even for the extended ones.

There are about 15 Traditions by Fausti on gunbroker.com ranging from $429 to $650. Here is one link :

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=115234896

You can be pretty confident buying guns this way as long as the seller has positive feedback history. Mine was used in a pawn shop in Detroit MI, and I live in FL. You just need to arrange to have the gun shipped to a local gun dealer (FFL Licensee). It's pretty easy if you just follow the directions on the site. You can also check auction arms.com. Most dealers offer a 3 day inspection period so you can return it if it does not suit you.

One last thing, If you don't have a whole lot of money invested, it makes it easier to bear to have the stocks cut down to fit the kids.

Hope this helps your decision.

10. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

I would look for a used Beretta White Onyx in 20 or 28 gauge. It will be a little more expensive than the others mentioned but your kids will have a gun that will last them a life time with many happy memories to go along with it. The scaled receivers also make them light and easy to swing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

over under quail gun