1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Over thinking

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm having a problem shooting that is causing me to miss 2-4 birds per round. For the past two weeks I've been stuck in a slump of shooting 22s on average and I and a few guys I shoot with think it is due to me thinking too much about the game while I'm on the line. Any recommendations on how to get past this?

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

don't think.......just shoot

3. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Read Phil Kiner's article in this months Trap and Field. Hit my problem right between the eyes. Bill

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Where can I pickup this months T&F?

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

The only people who have an answer are All Americans.

Ever notice when you shoot a good round, you don't think about anything?

I shot a handicap score of 79 a few weeks ago, and I never worked or thought so much in my life.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If I don't think, I'll shoot an 79.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'm working on the development of a bio-electronic device that'll fit into a shooters earplugs that will upon detecting the word "PULL", momentarily block all higher brain function for three seconds. Once perfected I expect to retire a wealthy man selling these devices to Trapshooters.

The only problem I'm still encountering is that similar to electronic voice releases, the device is sometimes inadvertantly activated by adjacent shooters.

John C. Saubak

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Old Cowboy, I'll be first in line for that device!

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My shooting coach, years ago, frequently said "It takes a dummy to shoot trap."

Set your feet, mount and cheek the gun, assume your hold point, focus eyes at infinity and call for the target. See the target and shoot the target. Don't think about anything. Shoot one target at a time.

Ed Ward

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

You need to focus your thinking to just one thing-- the next bird.

It is not necessary to think about your shells, how the targets are set or how soon you can finish shooting the doubles and get back home to do a little work. On the line, I do enough thinking about such topics for everyone. All you have to do is think about the next bird and leave the other thinking to me.

Pat Ireland

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What you need to be thinking about is seeing that bird come out of the house. Make that the game, let the only though in your head be I'm going to try to see a whole target as soon as it comes out of the house. If you have other crap rolling around such as gee I hope I don't miss, or man I hope it isn't a hard right, then stop, lower the gun, remount and try again.

Now the other thing that might be going on is you are getting the crap kicked out of you and are developing a flinch. Cureing that problem might take an equipment/ammo change.

12. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

After today it's more than over thinking it. I shot worse today than I ever have, including my first time ever shooting trap. I redid the adjustments on my gun after the comb can loose a few weeks ago, but at this point I'm still searching for why I'm doing so terrible as of the past two weeks.

13. otnot

otnot Active Member

Set up a routine that you go through after and before each shot. This will keep your mind on the game.

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

When you go stale at trapshooting stop for a while and shoot skeet for fun. Try shooting some with a low gun mount like international. Use your trap gun.

Works every time.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Old Cowboy, I have been told numerous times that trapshooters don't have "higher brain functions". Why try to block something that doesn't exist? Keep working on that invention.

16. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

A severely mentally handicapped[is the word retarded politically acceptable anymore?] shooter with lightening fast reflexes would be the greatest trapshooter of all time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.