1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Over Sized Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Virgil, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virgil

Virgil Member

I have a large number of empty hulls with an enlarged primers pockets. These enlarged pockets were produced by using Nobel Sports 209 primers. I have no problem with thses primers; however, I don't seems to have steady source for them.

I have read several forums which mentions various primers as being over sized,i.e., Rio, Wolf, Fiocchi,etc. I also read that some of these are within the tolerance for primers such as Winchester and Remington 209's. Basically, I am confused as which are over sized and which are not.

I am aware of the cautions relating to primer substitutions and will act accordingly. Information relating to the relative sizes of 209 primers will be appreciate.

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Virgil RIOs are oversize and will work in primer pockets that have had Nobel Sport in them. They can also be used for reloading what are commonly referred to as Euro-Trash hulls Ie: RIOs, Nobel Sport, Kemen, Wolf etc. I have not had a chance to measure WOLF primers since I refuse to use anything carrying that brand so I cannot say for sure but I suspect they are also oversize.

As a point of reference I just took my digital calipers to the six brands of primers that I have in my loading bench. I took 2 measurements. The first just above the radius at the rear which should be the largest diameter and the second just below the nose radius which should be the step diameter. Here are the results from an average of 10 each.

Winchester 209 .242 .239

Remington STS 209 .240 .238

Federal 209A .241 .238

CCI 209 .241 .238

Fiocchi 616 .244 .244

RIO .244 .242

--- Chip King ---

3. Virgil

Virgil Member

Thanks Chip for your very thorough reply. It always helps when you can quantify something. I am a new user of this forum and, after reading some of the threads, I really didn't expect such an excellent reply. Thanks again.

Virgil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.