1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Over shot filler wads - cheap vs spent primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Okay it seems people use spent primers, popcorn kernals and Cherrios to fill the void. In the past, I think I once heard about using 1 pinto bean. Here is something else.

A person at our local club creates his own over shot filler wads, using Styrofoam trays, used to package fresh meat at the grocery store. He took a 1/2 in pipe with an sharpened end and puts in a drill press. He puts the trays under his homemade cutter and punches out filler wads which he then loads on top of the shot charge and then crimps it.

Major drawback....these things fly around the in air and end up everywhere.

I cut some of my own using an apple corer you can buy at any kitchen supply store. These filler wads are about 1/4 inch thick and weigh exactly 1 grain, the same weight as one 7-1/2 lead shot. Since any given volume shot load weighs less than actual measured weight, I didn't think there is any danger of creating excess pressure. Using them I have noticed an up tick in performance with a shell that has been used many times and showing a softening in the crimp, so it is possible they add some additional pressure in the shell because they seem to help increase the strength of the shells crimp by removing the empty space in the shell. I am not sure what is happening exactly.

I have loaded some over the shot and some under the shot and it does not seem to make any different in the desired result, although over the shot is quicker to load and if you have a MEC or any other press that loads shot on top of wad at the same station, then you would be compressing the Styrofoam wad, however it still helps fill up the excess volume in the shell and help provide a nice crimp. While I use 7/8 wads for 7/8 loads and 1 oz wads for 1 oz loads, there is still an annoying space between the shot and crimp that causes a dished shape crimp. These foam wads seem to eliminate that problem without any danger in creating excess pressure problems, but then again, there is nothing like this recommended in any loading manuals. I am not recommending this for anyone to duplicate, it is just for what it is worth......

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

How about increasing the shot charge by 6 percent? I made a set of shot bushings from 9% under to 9% over in 3% increments. This allows me to adjust the shot charge to obtain a good crimp. This sure seems better than trying to insert something in the cycle on a progressive loader!

Jim Skeel

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I use the styro wads in my 16 ga loads. Most 16 ga wads are designed for 11/8 oz loads. I want 1 oz 16 field loads so I add a styro wad to the inside of the shot cup before adding the shot. i cut it using a 20 ga wad cutter. Works like a charm. I've used an old felt hat for the wads too. Again, works like a charm. For 12 GA though, I just find a better wad. I like to load 24 grm international loads for that gaime that shall not be mentioned but begins with an "s" and ends in a "t". I use a Win SL wad for that and Clays powder. Works great.

4. Rick Barker

I am trying to stay with a 1 oz load (437 grains) and by increasing my shot charge 3% (450 grains), 6%, (463 grains) 9% (476 grains) then pushes my load closer to the 1-1/8 range, (492 grains). Miniscule perhaps, but my shoulder can tell the difference. I shoot on average 200-250 reloads at the local club or league weekly and 200 factory for ATA sgles, hcp., and 100 reloads for doubles (I am very bad and don’t play the money on doubles).

I load with a Universal charge bar on my MEC, and use recipe power and shot loadings. Even then, most powder manuals give loadings with volume measured shot, instead of weight. With the Universal bar set at 437 grains for 1 oz, I am not following recipes if they are created using volume measurement. I use pure lead shot on my practice rounds, which is denser and the pellet count is less for the same measured weight than by volume. Using hard or extra hard shot would be better, but I work on my form and style with using my reloads, and try to keep my costs down.

Again, I am not advocating using spint primers, Cherrios, popcorn, or Stryofoam, I tried the Stryofoam and was not comfortable doing it.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Popcorn should be the choice. White kernels are smaller than brown kernels and that should give some options that might be useful. If the popcorn is loaded in a very soft load, it might pop in the barrel and give the birds something to eat.

Pat Ireland

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

go the primer and claim a "chip"

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

As long as you use styrofoam or something else frangible putting the wad over the shot would be safe. You notice that slugs don't have any wad over the shot and the old shells used a brittle or frangible wad over shot or buck because a hard card wad could cause dimpling of thre bore if shot got between it and the bore. Lots of old thinwall barrels show light bumps on the outside and that is what it is from. Safer to put the filler below the shot, in any case...

8. Rick Barker

I agree, putting it under the shot, instead of over, the shot, seems the safer thing to do, I found it a pain to do either on a progressive press. When placed under the shot, the press would compress the Stryofoam, which defeated the whole purpose, and over the press, I noticed a ever so slight increase in recoil.

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Why not adjust your crimp?

A small change and it will not dish in and no more fillers (which add weight and affect pressures or spoil patterns).

I can put 7/8 in a 1 1/8 wad and 'cept for the rattle, you wouldnt know

Crimps look good.

regards

10. Rick Barker

Bruce Em,

Guess I shoud, little lazy I guess. While my crimp is a little dished, I don't have problem with shot falling out, so I lived with it.

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Rick:

Alliant and it's predecessor Hercules published data calling for the use of 0.125 inch card wads(1) in a few loads. The card wads were simply fillers. The recipes specified that they be placed at the bottom of a plastic wad's shot cup. One of those loads was a 3/4 ounce 20 gauge skeet bullet using a 28 gauge card wad in a WAA20 wad. I loaded and shot many of thousands of them.

Earlier this year, I loaded several thousand one ounce loads with Promo. With Gold Medal hulls, I was getting poor crimps with a significant dish. So... I inserted a 20 gauge card wad and got perfect crimps without adjusting the crimp.(2)

sissy

(1) For those unfamiliar, card wads are made from a material similar to a shoe box except thicker. It sometimes makes a little biodegradable confetti when shot but not an obnoxious amount. I think their primary use is by black powder shooters. My source was CIRCLE FLY SHOTUN WADS. A package of a 1000 was pretty cheap.

(2) Note to Bruce Em: I'm not bashful about adjusting the crimp when needed but I load a plethora of different hulls. I get perfectly acceptable crimps with STS, Gun Clubs, AA, and Wally World Federals without adjusting in between. I'm reluctant - read that as 'to lazy' - to adjust for Gold Medals then adjust back for the others.

Card wads compress little if any, when loaded. Their weight is negligible and it is less than the normal variation in shot charges from one bullet to the next. I can't imagine they have any detrimental effect on anything.

12. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

MIA, Paint the primer hunter orange first?

13. Rick Barker

Recoil Sissy,

Thanks for your imput.

I remember before the advent of 1 oz and 7/8 oz wads back in the 70's and 80's the one oz load was be experimented with by a couple of shotgun magazine reloaders and they would advocate using the 20ga filler. Of course we all felt safe using their recommended loads, because some of these people were capable of measuring CUP and Vel. Now with so many wad and powder choices a lot more is in the offering, but without filler recipes.

Anyone remember "American Shotgunner" ???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hard card wad filler
poly meat tray for over shot wad
shot shell felt fillers

shot shells filler wads

shotgun wad filler
styrofoam wads
wad filler ideas
whole made shot shell wad fillers