1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Over or Under Barrel for Singles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by myevh3, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

For those who shoot an o/u for singles which barrel do you prefer? Using the top barrel always seemed natural. However, I do notice many people prefer the bottom barrel. Any thoughts, preferences or opinions???

2. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

It's been an olds wifes tale for many years that the bottom barrel kicks less because it's more in line w/the shooters shoulder. Also lots of fixed choke guns have less constriction in the bottom barrel, better for 16yrds some feel. Shoot what works best for you, try both top and bottom. Thanks David.

3. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

less heat waves have to be an advantage. ' Wifes Tail ' (ha ha) or not, my gun kicks less with bottom barrel than top. Also taking into account that your barrels may not shoot in the same spot. The quickest, smoothest move to the target usually catches it going up and your best chance of breaking it. So the one which shoots the highest might be worthy of consideration.
    Deadeye45

4. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

I've shot my o/u barrels from singles since I've had my MX-10. Wouldn't change a thing. They swing a lot better than my single and I feel it's an advantage on 16's.

As far as the barrel, which ever one is open the most. In my case, light full.

Hope this helps.

Matt Krizinski

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've always gotten into the habbit of shooting singles with my top barrel and 'caps with my bottom barrel. I do this to keep the wear even on the parts. Probably doesn't make a difference in the end.

ss

6. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Use your open choke for 16s it will kick less, normally the bottom barrel but not always. Use your top barrel or tighter choke for the Caps. Thats what I do or if you like do it the other way. Post-2

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I use the top barrel with a more open choke (Mod. ?) and the bottom barrel for handicap using the logic of less felt recoil with a heavier handicap load. I've heard that people who champion unsingle barrels use the same recoil "logic". Best Regards, Ed

8. BMC

BMC Member

I use the top barrel with a full choke for singles. I've tried using the bottom barrel but it shoots a little higher which conflicts with my engrained sight picture. The only time I shoot my bottom barrel is for the first target in doubles.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot my bottom barrel for singles and handicap. That is the traditional way. And, for me, I use a combo that only shoots the bottom barrel when I put on the unsingle barrel because the top barrel is not there.

Less recoil ? Better check out the force vectors between the breech and the stock butt before making such a comment.

Pat Ireland

10. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Pat, watch where you go or you will become a hated man with proof against entrenched etchings in_time!!!

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Shoot the barrel which puts the shot where you want it. That means finding out where each shoots and probably finding out that they shoot in different places. Far more important than choke, within reason.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

convert over under barrel to top single