1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Over kill or Not from 16

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nipper, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipper

nipper TS Member

I am using full or improved modified chokes from 16 yard singles,have not shot any doubles yet. 1 oz. of shot. Is a full choke overkill from 16 yards and could i even use skeet for singles??

Bill

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Bill, I don't know what your average is, but if you can hit them consistently with the full, stay with it and grind them. No such thing as overkill. IMHO--Steve

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill- Stay with a tight choke for singles. It is important to know if you center the target in the pattern or just hit it with the edge of the pattern. If you get weak hits, you can change something before a miss happens.

Pat Ireland

4. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

When I started shooting in 1984 or 85 I shot a 680 Beretta unsingle with a .043 choke. I used 1- ounce 8's, very effective on 16 yd. targets. I have always shot tight chokes at everything and have always liked to make sure the target smokes. Many shooters believe the screw choke system is an advantage, I do not think this is the case. Top shooter's throughout the country shoot tight fixed chokes, that's good enough for me. My new gun will be .035 on the unsingle and .020 and .030 on the o/u barrels. Just my opinion, hope this helps in some way, thanks, Roy

5. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Although there are a couple of Great Shooter who shoot full chokes at everything, the majority will advise to use an improve modified all the way back to the 27. Some even shoot more open chokes, especially at 16. No need for a real tight choke. You will only get so much smake. - Jim Elliott

6. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I used to shoot a .038 choke for singles and handicap, did so for years. I changed to a .028 choke and raised my singles average almost two birds and my handicap average over two birds. I still got plenty of smoke with the more open choke.

Booger

7. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Bill,
    Before you take advice from this forum, be sure they are people who sign their real names. That way you can look them up and see what their averages are. Most of the seaned shooters use full chokes.
    Sonny Daniels

8. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

Extra Full (.040) - Perazzi MX3 Special - you can accurately see where you hitting the target based upon the break (or lack of a visual piece).

Ron Schroer - Sun City, TX

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Read the article at the above link and then pattern your gun at the distance you break the target. You want a 75% pattern at that distance.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

What mike TMX said, except you want between 80% and 85% at target yardage. You are not a sporting clays shooter, so you want the increased density to guarantee you a hit.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

There is NO confidence builder like turning a solid into a vapor! It makes you look at the target harder and gives the sure knowledge that you WILL vaporize the bird you are getting ready to shoot.

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Mr. Elliot, when reffering to a couple of the great shooters who recommend full chokes, who that would be? Also who are all the great shooters that you say recommend less than full?

13. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Wilbur, you know ole elliott is full of crap! I would like him to tell us what the first two all-american teams shoot!? Then I will hang on every word of his in the future! Tom Rhoads

14. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

The increased density of a full choke cannot guarantee anyone of a hit. Nor can the increased pattern size of a modified.

Full is not the do-all, be-all, end-all choke. If tighter chokes were better, then ExtraFull would be better than Full, and all the "best" trap shooters would be using XFull. :0

There are plenty of very good (much better than I am) trapshooters who use modified or IM all the way back to the 27. I've talked to them.

A quick shooter can utilize Improved Cylinder at the 16. I'm not particularly quick, but have occasionally used IC to good effect from the 16 in the past, and always use IC for my first shot in doubles (shot from the 16 in case you were not aware)....and that first target rarely fails to break. ;)

Look at any full choke pattern on paper from about 30yds; there are LOTS of areas in those patterns that will give you a chip or a two- or three-piece break.
    A (full) choke makes a terrible diagnostic tool.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

A modified choke does not produce a significantly larger pattern than a full choke. It does move some shot from the core of the pattern toward the edges. This makes the fringe of the pattern a little better and the core a little worse.

Pat Ireland

16. deking00

deking00 Member

I used modified for several years (16 to the 27) with good results. A few years ago I switched to Improved Modified and I started getting more smoke from the 27. I couldn't tell much difference from the 16. I'm a fast shooter and for 16's I use 1 oz. of 8 1/2's @ 1180 fps. David King 9100688

17. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"This makes the fringe of the pattern a little better and the core a little worse."
    ....which makes the (effective) pattern larger. :)

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with Pat. I got twice the effective pattern DIAMETER at 30 yards with my .022 fixed choke U barrel than I did with my .032 fixed choke unsingle at the same yardage.

19. ec90t

ec90t Guest

At first I thought this was a bit of a fishing trip. Little did I know nipper was using a trought line!

ec90t

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jerry B, I wrote twice effective pattern diameter at 30 yards, not twice the pattern size. Effective pattern diameter and 30 yards are key phrases. By effective pattern I mean that area that can be counted on to break a target. You can best demonstrate this to yourself by shooting at a white lithium grease plate set 30 yards away. For some reason, grease plates make this so much easier to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.