1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Over coaching

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mykidstrap, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mykidstrap

Mykidstrap TS Member

Questions;
    I've shot trap for several years only for the purpose of recreation. However, my kids havexstarted shooting 15/18 yrs of age. I'm no expert. I ave 94/100 ok, not great.

I've been reading "Trapshooting secrets" and full of knowledge :)

I suspect I've been giving my kids too much fresh information in a short time frame. I suspect this is a common problem, maybe?

If I had 3, 4 areas to have my kids focus on, what areas would you lean towards?

Thanks much :)

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Safety:

1)Gun fit and hold as well as stance.

2)See the Bird

3)Lead the Bird

4)Shoot the Bird

In that order. Offer more info after these basics are second nature. I'm no Trap coach and i have a similar average as youreslf but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

Matt

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Find the best trap shooter in your area and let your kids watch him shoot. HMB

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I always tell the kids: "Tune everything out except for my constant criticism".

That works well.

Jb

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

Funny you should mention that.I've just started trap shooting,just over a year now.The first thing the fella that got me into it mentions,is exactly what you said.Too much info too quick can do more harm than good.I usually have to pump him for answers and he doles them out a little at a time.Now,the biggest difference I see is our ages,,LOL,,I'm 59 and starting,you kids probably can digest stuff quicker than I can.
    Amazing reading the posts,seems the same thing over and over.

1. Gun Mount/fit
    2.See the bird
    3. shoot the bird

Doug H.

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have learned the hard way and tried to pass that down to my sons. I will give you the best advise ever.....tell your advise to a freind and have them tell it to your kids! Kids will not take advise from "dad" as serious as they will from a independent source. JMO.

7. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Let them shoot for fun first...when ready they will ask... My dad was my coach I lost him almoswt 2 years ago and play everything he said to me in my head...

one of the best things he told me is to look at the score boards in the club you know the ones from the leagues or ATA matches...look at the names of the good shooters consistant shooters...everyone will give a new shooters advice remember what the top shooters say take everything else with a grain of salt...

be there for them and they to will love our sport... oh and for you cherish every moment they will!!!

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

My coach keeps coming back with, "Eyes riveted to the target, shoot when the gun goes through it."

Every time I ask him a question, no matter what I ask, he includes somewhere in his answer a new way to say the above. Every time.

9. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Good thread. I hope it keeps growing.
    dju

10. MPdude

MPdude TS Member

It's tough to strike that balance. Here's my recommendation: Whenever your kids get something right, compliment on them on it. They'll remember. Make it fun, and they'll keep at it.

11. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

Gun shoots where you look, eyes locked on the target, proper stance,everything else comes later in steps.Make it fun and stop too soon to make them want more! DON'T let them get sore,tired and bored.Make them BEG you to go shooting!Plus no information overload. A little at a time.Master one point then move on, it ain't cheap or fast to do.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Ignore everything you read in "Trap Shooting Secrets." Everything.

By the time you've broken 5 targets, you know more about the sport than that damned ass.

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Slow down-there is no way 41 mph will out run 600 mph.

Phil Berkowitz

14. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I watch them shoot and then see what their worst single problem is and work on it. Too many people/instructors try to shout constant corrections at a young student and it overwhelms them. Just work on one thing at a time and have fun. AJ

15. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

It's not the arrow - it's the indian.

See the bird - shoot the bird.

Fit. Fit. Fit.

And for younger kids especially - stay in the gun (Keep your head down.)

Doc

16. Mykidstrap

Mykidstrap TS Member

I agree keeping it fun is key for not only kids, but for we adults also. I guess this was my reason for coming to the forum and asking the question. It is a tricky balancing act, keeping it fun and teaching beyond basic fundamentals. Not that I'm a guru, but I recognize shooting is a discipline sport and though it can be debated; as a rule it's 90% mental and 10% physical.

Im not that father that's in my kids face with added pressure. My thyme has always been to have fun. However, Trap has so much to offer as both an individual and team. The levels of play is so diverse and the knowledge is great. Much like an alcoholic would recognize his/her problem with drinking before their able to manage their illness. As a parent I'm attempting to acknowledge too much info in a short time frame could be a bad thing.

I don't wish to kill the thread, please keep opinions coming, but I want to thank those who have replied for giving your input.

17. justanother99

justanother99 Member

"Trapshooting Secrets" by James Russell? That guy NEVER knew how to do it in the first place, so how could he ever teach it?

18. Mykidstrap

Mykidstrap TS Member

I've had two mention negativity of "Trapshooting secrets." it's not my intent to debate it, but can I get a book recommendation? I personally never shot league, but I keep a log. I have only a small circle of friends who shoot. I come to this forum not for a group hug, but for input :)

Another has posted Fit, Fit, Fit. I like that. Because I suspect fit is an issue for my son who is having the most problems. However, I'm not a VP of a fortune 500 company, I'm a simple man in a big world who wants the best possible results for my kids and keeping it fun during that learning phase where the most growth takes place as a shooter.

Have a great day.

19. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Keep it simple and focus on them performing the basics safely with a positive attitude.

Keep all negativity off the field and when they start struggling take them back to the pattern board for a little confidence builder. (it lets you check gun fit and stance and make gentle adjustments off the line)

Enjoy the time you spend with them and they will too!

TNCoach

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you say it is 90 percent mental you are right, but only when you have the right equipment. Is the gun your son is shooting too long or too short for him? Is the comb too high or too low? How is the trigger, too light, too heavy, too much creep? These are some of the questions you have to find the answers to. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.