1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

over and under

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gentle Ben, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gentle Ben

Gentle Ben TS Member

Hi I'm new to trap shooting I shoot and over and under I shoot out of the top barrel. I was recently told that I should shoot out of the bottom barrel. Was wondering if this is correct and if so what is the difference Thanks for the time Mark

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Mark,

Shoot which ever barrel you want to. There tends to be a bit less precieved recoil by shooting the bottom.

ec90t

3. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

Shoot 1 round top barrel and next round use bottom barrel. Put equal wear on the gun.

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I certainly would not worry about wearing one barrel out faster than the other. As others have stated it's usually because of the recoil but there's also muzzle rise with recoil being less with the bottom barrel. I'd pattern both barrels and see which shoots closer to how you want and go with that barrel. In a perfect world they should both be the same but rarely are.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Only on the heavy loads do I notice a difference, recoil A bit more with aa or sts heavy handicap loads 1 1/8 at max FPS

6. mad frank

mad frank TS Member

It also would depend on the event you are shooting and how the barrels are choked. If they are choked Full top barrel and IM bottom barrel I would want to shoot the top barrel for caps and the bottom for 16s. Doubles, I'd want the IM barrel for the 1st shot and Full for the second. If your gun is choked Full and Full then I would pattern both barrels for POI at 13 yds and go from there.
    Frank

7. Gentle Ben

Gentle Ben TS Member

Thank you very much for the input, Its nice to have this kind of resource Great site great people thanks again Mark. By the way I'm looking for a BT 100 if anyone has they may want to sell Take Care Mark

8. KK

KK TS Member

It's a proven fact that shooting the top barrel not only increases recoil but also will put excessive wear on the hinge of an over an under. The downward pressure created when shooting the upper barrel is greater and that is what stresses the hinge. Kirby

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hi, Mark...

In addition to the reasons stated above, I was told by the Krieghoff factory technician that I would want to shoot the lower barrel because the bottom barrel handles the punishment better. That may be due to the design of the K-guns, or it may be applicable to all O/Us, I don't know.

Being an engineer, I would really like to do an analysis of forces (it would be fun), but alas...I don't have the time to do any engineering other than what is required for my job. Maybe Neil would has a comment...

10. SPII

SPII TS Member

You will also see less heat distortion (visual) when you're not heating up the top barrel.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.