1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdoor Humorist

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just wondering if any one has a recommendaiton on book of Outdoor Humor. My favorite author for outdoor humor is Patrick McManus. his writing makes me laugh to the point of tears. Any other favorites? Titles or Authors

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just wondering if any one has a recommendaiton on book of Outdoor Humor. My favorite author for outdoor humor is Patrick McManus. his writing makes me laugh to the point of tears. Any other favorites? Titles or Authors

3. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Two of my favorites:

Bob Brister wrote 'Moss, Mallards and Mules' (Winchester Press, 1969)

Paul Hyde Bonner wrote 'Aged in the Woods' (Charles Scribner's Sons, 1958)

I'm currently reading 'The Part I Remember' by Charles F. Waterman (Winchester Press, 1974)

LA in MA

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Two of my favorites:

Bob Brister wrote 'Moss, Mallards and Mules' (Winchester Press, 1969)

Paul Hyde Bonner wrote 'Aged in the Woods' (Charles Scribner's Sons, 1958)

I'm currently reading 'The Part I Remember' by Charles F. Waterman (Winchester Press, 1974)

LA in MA

5. pa pete

pa pete Member

Bruce, check out the books written by, Gene Hill. You will not be sorry.
    "Pete" McDonough

6. pa pete

pa pete Member

Bruce, check out the books written by, Gene Hill. You will not be sorry.
    "Pete" McDonough

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Bruce, I second Pa Pete!!!!

He has quite a few books out: A hunters fireside book, Mostly Tailfeathers, others whose title I can't remember, but I've read them all....

Gene Hill was tremendously funny in a lot ways...then, in the next story, you'll be sitting there with tears streaming down your face at a story of a favorite bird dog or hunting partner too soon gone.

And if you don't cry at some of his stories about bird dogs, you're not a real hunter....or you never owned a dog.

other stories will make you smile and remember your own first deer or first hunt or first ice fishing trip.

Well worth the read. I have every one of his books, personalized and autographed to my dad. Back in the 70s, before he was super famous, you could order his books direct from him, and he'd autograph it how ever you wanted it.

My set is priceless....

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Bruce, I second Pa Pete!!!!

He has quite a few books out: A hunters fireside book, Mostly Tailfeathers, others whose title I can't remember, but I've read them all....

Gene Hill was tremendously funny in a lot ways...then, in the next story, you'll be sitting there with tears streaming down your face at a story of a favorite bird dog or hunting partner too soon gone.

And if you don't cry at some of his stories about bird dogs, you're not a real hunter....or you never owned a dog.

other stories will make you smile and remember your own first deer or first hunt or first ice fishing trip.

Well worth the read. I have every one of his books, personalized and autographed to my dad. Back in the 70s, before he was super famous, you could order his books direct from him, and he'd autograph it how ever you wanted it.

My set is priceless....

9. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

1. Gene Hill

2. Gene Hill

3. Gene Hill

God rest his soul. He could bring the sweet smell of Fall into your indoor reading room on a hot August afternoon. A real American Treasure! I had all of his books autographed until lost in a flood in 2007.

milt

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

1. Gene Hill

2. Gene Hill

3. Gene Hill

God rest his soul. He could bring the sweet smell of Fall into your indoor reading room on a hot August afternoon. A real American Treasure! I had all of his books autographed until lost in a flood in 2007.

milt

11. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

12. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Ed Zern is a good choice too. So's Havilah Babcock.

Milt..I found something online the other day that was called the "outdoor writers hall of fame" and was SHOCKED to find out that Gene Hill is NOT a member.

Travesty.

And its not humor...though some stories are funny...but Peter Hathaway Capstick does some GREAT work on Africa. Death in the Silent Places, Death in the Long Grass are two that come to mind.

he could take the blood and guts of an elephant crop and make you feel like you were there. Some dispute as to whether he actually DID all this or not...but he took the essance of Africa and put it in this small boy, where it smoldered for 25 years until I finally got to go.

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Ed Zern is a good choice too. So's Havilah Babcock.

Milt..I found something online the other day that was called the "outdoor writers hall of fame" and was SHOCKED to find out that Gene Hill is NOT a member.

Travesty.

And its not humor...though some stories are funny...but Peter Hathaway Capstick does some GREAT work on Africa. Death in the Silent Places, Death in the Long Grass are two that come to mind.

he could take the blood and guts of an elephant crop and make you feel like you were there. Some dispute as to whether he actually DID all this or not...but he took the essance of Africa and put it in this small boy, where it smoldered for 25 years until I finally got to go.

15. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

You will not find a more hair-raising, bone-chilling, heart-pounding hunting book than Chapstick's Death in the Long Grass. I've read most of his stuff, and it tops the charts on big-game hunting. And yes, Gene Hill is terrific, too.

16. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

You will not find a more hair-raising, bone-chilling, heart-pounding hunting book than Chapstick's Death in the Long Grass. I've read most of his stuff, and it tops the charts on big-game hunting. And yes, Gene Hill is terrific, too.

17. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

Robert Ruark, "The Old man and The Boy", and "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older" - not humor exactly, but as has been said of others, his writing can put you right there at that time and place, doing things you may never actually get to do otherwise.

18. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

Robert Ruark, "The Old man and The Boy", and "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older" - not humor exactly, but as has been said of others, his writing can put you right there at that time and place, doing things you may never actually get to do otherwise.

19. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Capstick,Hill,and Ruark were great writers.As y'all have said previously.....their writings will literally take you to the spot where it happened.What is truly amazing to me is that these men could write with such passion,and eloquince that you can actually feel the heat,taste the blood/sweat,hear the sound of wing beats,and feel the bugs biting the back of your neck as you wait in your blind for a maneating leopard ......all this,and much,much more.
    If one enjoys reading then these authors should be a the top of your list.....

D.P.Reynolds

20. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Capstick,Hill,and Ruark were great writers.As y'all have said previously.....their writings will literally take you to the spot where it happened.What is truly amazing to me is that these men could write with such passion,and eloquince that you can actually feel the heat,taste the blood/sweat,hear the sound of wing beats,and feel the bugs biting the back of your neck as you wait in your blind for a maneating leopard ......all this,and much,much more.
    If one enjoys reading then these authors should be a the top of your list.....

D.P.Reynolds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.