1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated perscription lenses?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by snkypete, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snkypete

snkypete Member

What do you do with your old shooting glasses lenses when your perscription changes and you have to get new lenses?

2. leadvail

leadvail Member

I have recycled mine by placing in white glad bags, then into the green dumpster. I am at a complete loss at what else you would do? Bob

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think there are places that will take them, to make glasses for underprivileged kids.

Lions Club, maybe?

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

My eye person has a box on the porch of his business for old glasses or lenses.

They are re-ground and reused. (not by him)

Regards....Gerald

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

As for me I throw them away. If I could be sure that what Tim said is where they would go then I would donate them to that cause.

As for what over the hill says unless they are being given to the needy I would never put them in that container.

After paying $650 for my latest pair of every day glasses I better not ever find out there is any regrind in them.

Bob Lawless

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why not bring them to your club and see if any of your friends can use them. HMB

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i believe the lions club does collect glasses for the needy. check in your local town with the chamber of commerce to find the local club motordoc

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Send the dominant eye lense back to the manufacturer and have a new one made. It's much less expensive than a whole new set.

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Give the lenses to someone you shoot with that has glasses they will fit. Tell them they are great but you just don't wear them. A great practical joke.

10. leadvail

leadvail Member

I have returned eye glsses to the lion's boxes, now I feel bad I didn't give my shooting lenses.......Will from now on.

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess the people you donate the glasses to want them for the frames, not the lenses.

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take prescription lenses from someone else. The ppd and prescription are both very specific.

13. NintyT

NintyT Member

I just saw my eye doc. He saves both lenses and frames, and all get sent to remote parts of the world. He sai that people with bad eyesight pick through and use what fits them best. Sounds primitive, but they are likely thankful for the gift. Steve j

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you wanted to pick the funniest posts in TS history that were meant to be serious, my number one pick would be the guy who advertised his prescription glasses for sale, and posted the prescription. They weren't that cheap, either.
    I wish I could find that post.

15. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Check out the above link to the Lions International Website. Yes, Lions do collect donated glasses and frames and the link will explain it all.

Lions Club's International is the worlds largest service organization and helping restore sight is one of our projects.

Allen (Past Lions District Governor)

16. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I agree that it is best to have glasses made especially for you. On the other hand, I have worked with a large number of very poor people. I have seen people go through boxes of old, used glasses and found a pair of glasses that were close enough. It is helpful to an impoverished person to see well enough to function and be able to read, even if it is onlt focused in one eye. For several years I worked with an outreach called "operation care" in Dallas that set some very poor people up with shoes, socks, blankets, and minor medical care. A group of opticians donated time to sort through and mark used glasses. They would sometimes put two or three pairs together to make one good pair. As they gave free quickie eye exam, they were able to find glasses to help. Little kids whose fathers ran off don't have a chance if they cannot read. I never throw any glasses or lenses away.

18. mag410

mag410 Active Member

The Lions paid for my first two pairs of glasses. They came to my school when I was in the 9th grade and checked everyone's vision. Much to my surprise I failed. Looking back I can see that poor vision was the reason I always sat at the front of the class, so I could read the black board. It also explained why I never saw any bucks while deer hunting, all I ever saw were does. I wonder how many of those "does" were actually small bucks? The first buck I killed was an 18" 8 point, his rack was so big I could not help but see it.

Imagine the surprise on the faces of my ungrateful nieces and nephews when I leave my vast fortune to the Lions Club. :)

Michael

19. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

You can always start a fire with the lens in the woods under sunlight.

20. hoot619

hoot619 Member

The Lions Club by all means, I was lucky enough to get my first pair from them too. I have been ever grateful for their program. I was not a needy kid but the kid I replaced missed school that day. They wanted to fill their quota of kids for the appointments they had.
    I was able in later years to thank Mr. Karl Parker Newberry Mi teacher and Basketball coach for picking me for it. I always give to the White Cane Drive by the Lions Clubs. My parents never knew I had trouble seeing til then.

Don't throw them out they can still help somebody else. Ken Uhlbeck and still grateful!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.