1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Outboard Motor Sludge/Question - Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by OldGoat, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I have an older '89 Model Evinrude 150 hp outboard. Last October, I topped off the tank and put in a full pint? of Sta-Bil to winterize it (also checked the lower unit to make sure no water was in it and it was full). This motor used to have the oil injection system, but on the advice of my mechanic, the oil injection system was removed and the motor converted to run on 50:1 gas/oil mix. So this weekend, wife & I got it out and it started right up but got LOTS of smoke from the exhaust...too much oil in the gas. Ran around Truman lake (in Missouri) and, as always, it ran great and started without hesitation many times. When we pulled it out to put it back in the storage shed, grey goo or sludge was coming out of the exhaust holes...2 holes in the upper part of the unit below the power head and down near the prop. Thoughts...?...opinions? re: what is causing this sludge. Do I just have bad gas or too much Sta-Bil?...I am sure I have too much oil. Comments appreciated.

PS Never saw so many For Sale by Owner or Real Estate For Sale signs on cabins or businesses...economy has really hit Truman area HARD.

Best Regards, Ed OldGoat

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just condensation mixing with the oil film inside the exhaust passages..it should clear with running...thats why I always use synthetic 2cycle oil like Amsoil...it runs at 100:1

3. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Good question. My Nissan 90 did the same last Spring I thought it had finally died. Cleared up pretty quick.

4. OldGoat

Thanks, Calvin & ExFedex for your info! Yes, we didn't use the boat much last year and it needs to be run...that's our plan this spring. I will certainly look into using a synthetic 2 cycle oil. Best Regards, Ed!

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Keep in mind that you mix whatever, synthetic or petroleum oils, per the engine recommendations and ignore what it says on the bottle. Playing with the oil mixture can roast a 2 stroke quick.

The stabil is probably acting as a solvent and causing old carbon deposits to float out.

6. OldGoat

221, your point is well-taken...I will make sure to do so. Thanks & Best regards, Ed

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Take Calvin's advice and go with the synthetic. It just sounds as if you have a little too rich of a mixture. Any boating questions, I've found that the iboats forum to be the best of the best. There are a lot of very experienced people on there willing to help. See link above.

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

Don't know who told you to eliminate injection,unless you were having trouble with it shouldn't have. Also,sometimes injection systems use a lighter or synthetic oil,might want to check viscosity of oil your using.Last but not least,a can of Sea Foam with each fill up will keep the motor clean.

Doug H.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

I would recomend using a synthetic blend oil. A full synthetic will not stick to the cylinder walls during storage. A "dry start" can cause a broken ring and disaster for a 2 stroke.

10. OldGoat

Tron, I appreciate the info on iboat forum....but I just knew some helpful and friendly trapshooters would have some answers for me.

Doug, a mechanic who had worked on my motor before (this was ~7-8 years ago) made the recommendation to eliminate the oil injection system...said it was an outdated design from 1989 and he had seen some fail, causing expensive repairs. I will look for Sea Foam...at marine dealers?...the internet?

Meanwhile, as shadow "seconds" the recommendation of others, I will look for synthetic blend oil....got about a gallon of Pennzoil left from the last sale at BassPro.

Again, thanks and Best Regards, Ed

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Walmart has Sea Foam,also Tractor Supply,comes in a white can.

Doug H.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

My 2 cents to add to theis thread. Pre-mixes don't winter well. They have a tendency to seperate during storage. I'm sure that bouncing around the lake helped mix everything back up, but what was being drawn in when started and first ran was the heavier of the two liquids,ie the oil. A fresh tank of fuel and oil will get everything cleared up quickly.

I always fill the fuel tank halfway, add oil, then top off. This does a very good job of mixing the oil and gas together.

Never put oil in first on an empty tank. It'll stick to the bottom of the tank and take a long time to disolve into the fuel.

Mix the oil per the oil manufacturers recommendations and not the engine builder. There have been great strides in technology when it comes to oil. If some of the newer oils are mixed richer than 50:1, you'll go through a lot of plugs and carbon the motor up good!

ss

13. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Oldgoat

Ethenol has been a real problem with stored gas.You may want to goggle it.

Pete

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

As said above there is a real problem with the newer fuel (ethenol). It will start to dissolve things in the bottom of your tank, rubber fuel lines need to be replaced with the new style for this fuel. Replace your fuel filter and water seperator. Carry a spare set of plugs in the boat at all times and a spare filter. This fuel will also attrack water into your fuel system as well. Water seperator is always a good idea. Sounds like extra oil coming thru the motor from something you added to winterize your motor. Did you do anything different this year??? Break=em all. Jeff

15. IM390

IM390 Member

Read the March issue of Popular Mechanics and they explain whats going on real good in their automotive section of the magazine. The short of it is that Stabil has alcohol in it as well as gasoline. And when you get a lot of condensation in the gas the alcohol separates along with the deposits and varnish and becomes that goo. Be careful because that goo can block your injectors and the extra alcohol can eat away at carburator floats and gas lines. It would be best to try to sipon all that crap out of your tank to begin with. A better product to stabilize is SEA FOAM. Some people think it is even better to pull the gas line and run the engine dry, then pull a plug(s) and squirt some oil onto each piston and mannually crank it to spread it across each cylinder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

black oil coming out outboard

has anyone ever seen white sludge coming out of an outboard prop exhaust
how to clean sludge out of outboard motor
johnson lower unit sludge betwwen prop
my mercury 250 is spitting sludge out of the exhaust
oil coming from exhaust on mercury 20 hp outboard motor

oil sludge is coming out of the exhaust port on outboard motor

white sludge coming from exhaust prop area on 15 hp johnson outboard motor