1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Out-of-state citizen purchase shotgun in AZ ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Can an out-of-state U.S. citizen purchase a shotgun -- cash & carry -- in Arizona ?

Am making a week-long stop in Arizona as part of a longer business trip and there are some tournaments going on during my stay in Arizona. Thought I might buy a BT-99 during my visit in order to shoot a couple of days during my visit. Could leave it with a friend when I leave and pick it back up during a future visit.

If I could purchase the shotgun, what store in the Phoenix area would be most likely to have either a Browning BT-99 or Citori XT in stock ?

Or, if I were to purchase a trap gun from one of the many vendors at a trap tournament in Arizona, can I take the gun with me when I go ?

2. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

trapshooteraa27aa,

Thanks for the reply.

Any recommendations as to a place to purchase a BT-99 or Citori XT in Phoenix ?

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not if you are from Illinois.

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

from the Free State of Idaho ?

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

You're not really taking anonymous legal advice on the internet, are you?

Your honor, funky_monkey_234 told me it was perfectly legal.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The link has some information. I've purchased many long guns in other states and never had a problem. Although have never from AZ. Not sure you can "leave" a firearm with a friend. You can loan a firearm for a hunting or sporting event, but time is limited.

Wayne

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Not sure I would classify this question as legal advice that I would take action on.

I would go to Arizona without a trap gun.

If their advice is wrong, I would find out that the legally-operating gun store would not sell me, an out-of-stater, a trap gun.

Then I would either not be able to shoot in the tournament or I would have to rent or borrow a gun there.

But no illegal action has taken place.

As to leaving a gun somewhere for a limited time, not sure I asked advice on that topic.

8. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Under current laws a long gun (rifle or shotgun) can be purchased anywhere. However a pistol is a different story.

9. oz

oz Active Member

You could always buy one from eric holder.

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

When I talked to a gun store in California about buying a shotgun, I could buy it, but it had to be shipped to an FFL in my home state, (Oregon). So, you can buy a long gun out of state, but not always be able to take and shoot it. I don't know about Arizona. Mark

11. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

It might be legal if your home state borders Arizona. My best advice would be to call the ATF and ask them. Larry

12. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I found this on the ATF website, but it may only apply to handguns.

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

I would think that your own states rules have to be met. As a CA reseident, I don't think I can go to AZ and buy a shotgun.

Call a gun store in AZ and ask them.

13. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I think this answers the question.
    From the ATF:

B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

14. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

portsmans Warehouse Usually has a Good selection of Brownings and at the Bigger Shoots the Vendors have always have Guns available. I have seen plenty of people Buy them, Cash and Carry so to speak. There is also plenty of Good used Brownings floating around for sale. In Arizona person to person sales are definatly Cash and Carry most people dont even ask for any ID.

Mark

15. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

When did this change?

16. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Just because you pay cash and walk away with a gun doesn't mean it's legal. Face to face private sales of long guns to residents of the same state are legal, in some states. I had some shotguns for sale at my home club (Oregon) and a shooter from California wanted to pay cash for one, and take it home. I did the research, and if I had done the transaction, it would have been a felony for him and me. I had to ship it to an FFL in California and there would be a 10 day waiting period. Some old time shooters say that selling face to face is the way it's done all the time, but I wasn't interested in being a test case. Above is a link to a Sporting Goods store in Arizona that lists their policy and reference to Federal law about selling to out of staters. I have purchased a long gun in Washington, as an Oregon resident (at Lacey Cabelas) and was able to take it with me. This was because Oregon is a neighboring state to Washington, and we get along, as opposed to California. :) Mark

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If it is purchased through an FFL holder the same rules apply. They will do a background check. If purchased from an individual in another state from which you reside, the same rules apply also. The transfer has to go through an FFL before it can cross the border of that State where the purchase is made, or it has to be shipped to an FFL in your State, where they will do the background check. Check local and state laws also. If you go through an FFL for the transfer either way, you should be covered Federally. This is for the purchase of a shotgun!

18. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Two different Arizona FFL holders whom I have personally known for 25+ years have emailed me concerning this. One sent copies of Arizona regs with their email. Both say that they can legally sell an Idaho resident a trap gun without a waiting period. However, a trap gun which still has 100 Straights in its barrel cost a little more and there is no guarantee that the 100 Straights will show up without a waiting period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

arizona gun sale to out of staters

az out of state gun sale

gun purchase buy out of state citizen