1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Out of Round Choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DTrykow, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I was tinkering with a bore gauge and I just got a new micrometer for Christmas. I took some fixed choke guns and verified their constrictions and for the most part there what they say they are. I switched to my Rem 1100 Trap with screw chokes. WOW. I found that the Rem Factory chokes are out of round.
    Some have two lumps in them. I am impressed with Briley and Perazzi. Very round, consistant chokes. My question is does that matter? I did a quick search and found no thread related to choke quality and patterns. Dave T.

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Consistancy matters.
    Joe

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

My first Krieghoff (1965) did not look round at the end of the bbl. Only put 92% into a 30" circle @ 40 yards.

4. 870compman

870compman TS Member

A friend had a Mossburg shotgun with a full choke and bought a pointing dog. I told him with that dog and a full choke you are going to make a mess of a pheasant if you can hit it. When he ruined his first pheant he asked me to open the choke on his shotgun.

Being young and short of money we took a wheel cylender hone and WD-40 and tried to open the choke. When we started I checked the choke and it was out of round. The best we could do was true up the choke with the wheel hone. Shotgun chokes are very hard.

What he finally did was buy a new 20ga shotgun with choke tubes and put the Mossburg in the closet. The improved cylender choke with a pointing dog was a better combination for pheasants.

All shotguns are different. He shot his Mossburg fine with an out of round choke barrel but he shot his new choke tubed Browning better.

I have sold good expensive shotguns that don't shoot because of the choke and I keep the better shooting ones.

Dale Wolff

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Pattern it....

It will set you free...

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shotgun chokes are not hard, chrome lined barrels are. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mossburg guns for sale 1965