1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Out of Red Dot considering Promo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

I only have a couple of pounds of Red Dot left and was planning to switch to Promo. The cost savings is attractive. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Don in PA

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Promo will not ignite well in cold conditions. Some on here will dispute that but I've seen it firsthand. Bill

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Red Dot is hard to beat. Used it since the 50's, went to Solo 1000 for a while, came back to Red Dot.

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I went from Red Dot to Clay Dot, and will never go back. Mark

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I went from red dot to 700x just looking for a little more speed with the same powder drop. The switch worked well for me. Bill

6. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I've used promo in place of Red Dot can't tell any difference, admittedly I have no cold weather experience with it. Jim in Florida??

7. dls guide

dls guide Member

I bought 16 lb of it to try and probably won't buy again. It is pretty dirty, especially if you use lighter loads. I have been loading heavier 1 oz loads lately, and have not had any problems shooting them in the Montana Winter. I really like Clay dot and may go back to that. Promo is ok, but not great.

8. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

Promo is grain-for-grain equivalent to Red Dot BUT it is denser than Red Dot SO make sure to weigh your powder charge to get the same results from Promo as you get from Red Dot.

9. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

Don:

There is simply nothing as good as the aroma of a freshly fired Red Dot Federal Paper Hull on a Saturday morning.

Smells make memories and that is one of mine!

Cheers, Dusty

10. missemucho

missemucho Member

I've used Red Dot, Promo and now use Claydot. I'd never go back to either of the others; JMHO.
    John

11. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I changed from 700X to promo about 3 years ago, I like it. I clean my guns after shooting and truly don't feel that it is dirty. If you can break a target with red dot, 700X, clays, green dot, solo or whatever you can break it with promo for less money. All powder varies a little so always check weights promo may vary a little more, however in 3 years I haven't seen it change enough to be a problem. I would suggest buy or borrow a little and try it.

12. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I've been using Promo for years and don't see any difference from red dot except it's cheaper,we shoot in sub zero conditions and have never had any ignition problems.Jerry

13. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Promo dirty? If you are not shooting gas guns, so what? I clean every 300 rounds whether the Ljutic needs it or not. I've on my fourth jug of Promo now.

I am admittedly cheap and cannot rationalize spending more $ for the same results. Same reason I use one ounce of good clean reclaimed shot for singles and my short yardage 'caps. I can't discern any difference in my scores and it allows more shooting. More shooting may allow me to shoot from longer yardage and then I'll think about ounce and an eight of better quality shot for 'caps.

YMMV,

HBT

14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Never tried Clay Dot but switched from Red Dot to Promo long ago. Works great for me.

15. oz

oz Active Member

clays

16. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I tried 8lbs of Promo and went back to Red Dot.
    Powder drops seemed inconsistent and it was kind of dirtier.
    But it did work well with the el-cheapo primers and reclaimed shot that I used with it. I haven't loaded shells that cheaply in years.

And yes Red Dot goes with paper hulls and paper basewads like peanut butter goes with jelly.

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

one word for promo = DIRTY

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Don, consider using e3. Alliant reduced the price to that charged for Red Dot, and you use less of it. For 7/8, 1 and light 1 1/8oz loads it is the best of the Red Dot, Promo, Clay Dot, Extra Lite, e3 bunch. I also like it better than Clays, which I will use up for 45 ACP loads.

19. C-Money

C-Money Member

I have been loading clay dot for a few years. I am getting down to only a few pounds left. Yesterday I bought two jugs of promo to try. I really like clay dot but I went with promo because it is suppost to be more dense. I have a bunch of claybuster fig 8 wads I want to use up. They are longer than the Remington fig 8 I have been useing with clay dot. I was not getting good crimps using 17.7 grains of clay dot, sts hulls and the 1 1/8oz claybuster fig 8 wad. So, I figured I would try promo cause it takes up a little less room. Everyone I spoke to that has used promo have been very happy with it.

20. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Im with "Old Texas Marine" best bang for the $$
    I have not experienced any cold weather problems
    30-40' ,thats cold here

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.