1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

out house accomidations. 25 degrees. and dropping,

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

so to speak.
    do you guys heat the house or just suffer the tradition of the house? i'm pushing, so to speak, my club to invest in a simple propane heater to make the event, simply, more humane. any thoughts, for or against, a single blue flame in the house? thanks

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

We used to keep a couple of toilet seats behind the wood stove to take with us when we went.... Always warm.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

We are fortunate to have electricity at our cabin, and we use a small electric space heater. I should think a propane heater would be OK.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Iam about to build one on the wife and I's place. It will be as I remember growing up, no heat. We'll see how long that lasts...LOL

5. 22hornet

Is it gonna be a 2 holer? That's what we had. You didn't hang around in there very long in the winter, that's for sure. Remember to keep a bucket of powdered lime handy to keep the atmosphere livable!

6. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Buddy had a good one in Alaska, He had a switch in his house that controoled the power to the outhouse. The outhouse had a fan down below to rid it of stench. a light inside and outside and a heater. Feel the urge, hit the switch, and by the time you are dressed and out to the can, the place is warm bright and stink free

Styrofoam or pinkboard makes a fine seat if you have no heat.

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

22Hornet, Duplex or two story?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

8. 22hornet

Just a regular ole 2 holer.

9. Lou Braun

Lou Braun TS Supporters TS Supporters

An outhouse in the winter is cold by definition. A heater will just make things smell worse without adding any real comfort.

Years ago, a Sears catalog was the only accessory needed for the outhouse. Maybe a phone book would be a good subsitute?

Our club has a room temperature outhouse. The room temperature equals outdoor temperature.... We are looking at indoor plumbing and a real bathroom as an upgrade to attract more gals to our sport.

Lou Braun

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

yep. you guys know how to attract the ladies! good luck with that one

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

This story is regarding smoking in or near an out house.

First, let me say that my favorite Ray-O-Vac Sportsman three cell wide angle flashlight has been at the bottom of a two "holer" in Gun Lake, Michigan ever since my brother dropped it into an open hole in 1968.

Second, the largest wasp nest I ever saw was when I looked up while seated on a one hole outhouse near Lexington, KY when I was eight years old. It literally scared the s*** out of me as it was well over 12" across and was covered with wasps.

Now, to my story.

My dad was stationed in Iran during WWII in an area controlled by the British. He told me this story several times and each time there was a smile on his face.

The local Iranians had built a thirty-two hole all stone "facility" that experienced heavy use due to the 50,000 or so Allied troops in the area. It was surrounded by a stone wall and had over it a metal roof that did not come down to the stone wall. This resulted in about a two foot gap all around.

Each day, the Brits would pour five gallons of "petrol" into the facility for sanitation purposes. The average daytime temperature was about 115 degrees.

The "facility" in the Iranian manner did not have a seat but instead had carved out spots for a persons heels so as to properly position a persons body when they squatted to use the facility. After a meal, it was common for all holes to be in use with a waiting line outside.

Despite ample warnings about smoking, a British major is supposed to have lit his pipe while making use of the facility and the gasoline vapors ignited almost as soon as he struck the match. The resulting explosion blew the roof off, knocked down a portion of one wall and sent thirty-two a**es into low earth orbit. Many people were badly burned in very sensitive places.

The incident was both humorous and tragic due to the number and severity of injuries.

Ed Ward

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

"Spooks in the privy" is a humorous tale about a prankster who installed a speaker at the bottom of a two hole outhouse.

The author was Richard M Gunn.

I cannot repeat the whole story word for word but a summary goes something like this.

After installing the speaker and hiding in the nearby bushes, the prankster would wait until one or two ladies were seated. Then he would say something like "Hey watch out! We are painting down here!" or make a noise like a wild animal and watch the embarrassed ladies run for the house.

The author of Spooks in the Privy, Richard M. "Pek" Gunn, was Poet Laureate of Tennessee.

Here is one of his poems called Frettin.

Frettin

I'se been frettin' 'bout the future

And de things dat I'se been told,

'Bout what happens to us folkses

When we starts to gittin' old.

But I took a little journey

To de Eastern part of state;

Gazed at all dat pretty scenery

'Til de time was gittin' late.

Sakes alive what gorgeous colors;

Like de rainbow in de sky;

I just cain't explain my feelin's

But I couldn't help but cry.

As I stared at dem big mountains

Trees and flowers everywhere;

From my heart there welled up praises

'Cause my Lord had put 'em there.

Now, I'se ain't frettin' any longer

For there's one thing dat I see;

If my good Lord made dem mountains

He can shore take care of me.

Ed Ward

13. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I learned something about outhouses a few years ago that I found very handy. I was hunting out of a ranch in northern British Columbia, beautiful clear cool weather in the mid 30s, and Saturday night the temperature plummetted to about 30-35 below zero. I was dreading the trip out on Sunday morning, but was told it wouldn't be too bad out there. I just HAD to go, so off I went.
    Trying to keep your pants up as high as possible, without them getting in the way, is just a matter of experience. What is really shocking is the temperature of the seat on your warm flesh. I'm not sure if I was warm enough to warm up the seat in very short order, or the nerves in my rear end and thighs just gave up trying to send messages about how cold they were, but it wasn't too bad after the first 30 seconds or so.
    Returning to the ranchhouse, I was queried about how I left the seat. It turns out that if you leave the seat up, it gets cold, but doesn't get frost on it. I know from experience that the feeling of cold is temporary, but I was told in no uncertain terms to go back out and make sure that the seat was left upfor the next person, because they claimed it took all day to warm up from sitting on a frosty seat. I had no desire to alienate my hosts or hunting partner, so I did as I was told, and never did have to find out how long it took to warm up after sitting on a frosty seat.

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

It appears the Yoopers are different. LOL. True story: There is an old 4 or 5 story historical wooden building on the edge of the Merrimac River that was famous for building boats many years ago. Their toilet facilities were, and still exist, a one holer that is cantelevered out over the river. Each floor has their own one holer. Quite a sight from the river, I can only imagine what it looked like when there were a couple of hundred people working there and they were in full use. Bob

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Get rid of the seat and just leave a hole/slit in the flat floor to squat over.

Install a vertical backboard that those with bad balance or XXXL guts can lean against.

No need to sit, no reason to keep a warm seat, unisex and no need to cover a seat.

Encourages expedited use.

(Women will still complain that men are bad shots)

MK

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Well my post got deleted because it had sh-- in it. SORRY!

Anyway it went like this. You can't build 2 hole out houses in the U.P. because the Finns put a leg in each hole and crap in their pants.

I hope the word crap does not offend anybody. If it does I suppose I could change it to deficate although some might think it pertains to hearing aids or something. Bill Grill

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I would much rather do the cold outside versus the outdoor facilities that were common in Vietnam...whew, those things stunk. I felt bad for the guys that had to pull out the droppings container and burn it. My guess is they were working off their Article 15's.....

Curt

18. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

get some fan fold its the stuff used behind sideing cut hole and put your name on it works till you have a bad egg day but it washes off

19. dhip

dhip Active Member

Haven't done it yet,but a friend ran an electric cord to his and put a heat lamp in it.When you left to go to it you flipped a switch which turned lamp on.Just warm enough to make frost leave but not too comfy to want to stay long.

Doug H.

20. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Take a Coleman lantern with a spark lighter attachment, leave it in the outhouse. When you have the need, light the lantern, put the bail up and drape a "wet/dry" towlette over the bail. Some heat from the lantern and a nice warm wipe when you're done.

Or go out when you think you might need to go, light the lantern, then go back and wait til your buddies say, "jeez, can't you take care of that somewhere else" and go out to a warm privy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

small propane heater for outhouse