1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Next President

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by birdogs, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Bill Cunnigham is the man who made that speech for John McCain in which he said Obama's middle name numerous times. Cunningham claims that it was overwhelmingly approved by McCain's campaign staff. Later, McCain disavowed the speech.

I heard Cunningham on Sunday night say that he hoped that Obama or Clinton won the Presidency. He likened it to 1976 when Ford lost to Carter. Cunningham claimed that the disaterous Carter administration is what brought Reagan and the Conservatives to the fore. If Ford had won, the "moderates" would have blunted the conservative thrust and the USSR might still exist as well as East Germany et al.

Obviously, Cunningham believes that either Hillary or Obama would be so disasterous that they would only serve one term and the country would recoil into the arms of the Conservatives.

This is an interesting idea - short term pain for long term gain. What do you thin? Is it true? Is it possible? Is it worth doing?

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The only reason A Hillary or an Obamma is on the table is because of the pain inflicted by the current President.

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I "thin" we should all go out and shoot some trap.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If the current President had not inflicted such pain the war would be in the United States as opposed to in the deserts of Afganistan, Iraq and the middle east ... Support the Troops by supporting their mission ...
    Elect Hildabeast or Obama and get a free Turban and Taco ...
    McCain slipped up the other day in one of his boring azz speaches and claimed to be a Liberal Republican and caught himself and said Conservative Republican ... This election appears to be a no win situation for the American people ... God PLEASE watch over us ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The SCOTUS appointments of Obama or Hillary would last far longer than a 4 year term. People who think a liberal presidency would be good for conservatives are fools.

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Following is one reason conservative voters might NOT want to sit this election out.

One of the checks and balances provided by the Constitution is the requirement for re-election to remain in office. Incumbent senators must run every six years and representatives every two years. The president is limited to two four year terms.

Clearly, this is not a classic check or balance used by one branch of government to reign in another. Rather, it provides the electorate a definitive check on the behavior of incumbents.

The classic system of checks and balances along with the re-election requirement for incumbents provides an effective limit to how much mischief - more accurately “damage” – any particular politician can do. Most unwise decisions can be reversed by a subsequent administration or Congress. Therefore, the legacy and long term influence of a president or member of Congress is determined by how strong and how long his/her beliefs resonate with the electorate.

The odd duck out is the Supreme Court. Appointed for life, its’ members have no term limit other than their individual mortality. With rare exceptions, their decisions either follow established precedent or in the absence of existing precedent, create one. Ill considered decisions are instantly entrenched and are rarely overturned. As a result, there is almost no limit to the damage an activist court can cause by ‘creative’ Constitutional interpretations and legislating from the bench .

My point? It is likely that the next president (whoever that might be) will have the opportunity to appoint one or more Supreme Court Justice. Even one new member is critical since most recent decisions of consequence have been 5-4 splits. It should be noted liberals and so called independents generally vote as a block. So… one additional liberal and those decisions would have been 5-4 in the other direction. Even if the balance doesn’t shift, a young liberal appointed in the next four years will be around to haunt us all for a long damn time.

The following data will give you home gamers, an idea of the current makeup of the court and who is potentially “on deck” for replacement.

Formatting isn't my strong suit. I don’t know if what follows will work or not. If the formatting gets jumbled when I hit the submit button, I'll try to fix it but...

Ok, the formatting has me stumped. However, I've listed the member name, followed by the president that made the appointment, the year he/she was appointed, age, and political orientation.

Your court reporter,

sissy

John Roberts (1), Bush 2, 2005, 53, Conservative

John Paul Stevens, Ford, 1975, 88, Independent

Antonin Scalia, Reagan, 1986, 72, Conservative

Anthony Kennedy, Reagan, 1988, 72, Conservative

David Souter, Bush 1, 1990, 69, Independent

Clarence Thomas, Bush 1, 1991, 60, Conservative

Ruth Bader, Ginsberg, Clinton, 1993, 75, Liberal

Stephen Breyer, Clinton, 1994, 70, Liberal

Samuel Alito, Bush 2, 2006, 58, Conservative

* age at the start of the next president’s term

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Once large government programs are put in place you will never get rid of them. They tend to grow and grow like a cancer. If Democrats control all branches of government they will take full advantage with new multi billion dollar government programs while destroying our military. I don't think we could ever recover. We have finally reached the point where more people have their hands out and are willing to give up their freedom to have the government take care of them. We all knew that the day would come when those riding in the wagon outnumbered those wanting to pull it. We are there.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Waterhouselake:

Who are you working for, Hillary or Barack?

Just about every post you make tends to advocate voting for a third party candidate which directly supports the Democratic nominee. Do you prefer a Democrat in the White House?

As to Tom Tancredo, he is not running for the Presidency or the House of Representatives. One of Tancredo's positions, as I recall it, was that the US should bomb Mecca in event of another terrorist attack. That is a pretty strong comment for anyone in public office.

If you prefer Hillary or Barack, just say so.

Please give my regards to Ellen.

Ed Ward

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would bomb Mecca. Also tehran. And any hard targets in the whole area.

Give me the button. I'm tired of all the crap.

HM

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Short term pain? Yeah, if you're a gun owner.

11. School Teacher

Waterhouselake:

Thank you for responding, your post says it all.

I sense a lot of anger and frustration at the far right not having a candidate that you can support, either in California or the presidential election. The far right has had its way for a long time but the string seems to have run out.

I support President Bush but he could have been a better listener and could have selected better advisors. Secretary of State Colin Powell advised against attacking Iraq but he did not listen. He then compounded the problem by not sending enough troops to get the job done quickly. IMO, he can thank former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld for that.

John McCain and others called for Rumsfeld‘s replacement after the Republican’s lost control of both houses of Congress in the 2006 election. President Bush then finally listened to the new Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, and the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the Armed Services and increased the troop levels and initiated the “surge” that has so far been successful in bringing stability to Iraq. Given more time, I believe that Iraq will be stabilized.

John McCain stood alone in his support of the surge among major candidates and we can be proud of this stand. He has also indicated that he will retain Robert Gates as secretary of defense if elected.

The Republican Party is a lot more than the far right. If you consider yourself to be a Republican, you need to support your party’s candidate. If you can’t do this, please find a party that reflects your views.

You may be surprised but John McCain may win California. He will win with a combination of moderate republicans and conservative democrats. Former President Reagan would not have won without the support of the so called Reagan Democrats. Hopefully, some of the far right will go along but he can win without them.

Control of immigration is a key issue. As there are a multitude of legal Latino voters, it will have to be a bipartisan solution. Nobody will be completely happy. Employers want cheap labor and the illegals are willing to risk their lives to come here and work. It is like trying to stop water flowing down hill. We need some type of dam and a generator to make power from the force behind the dam. I do not have any answers.

My main concern in this election is national security. John McCain is the only candidate left standing that has pledged to stay the course, even if it takes 100 years. Other concerns are retaining our current health care system, reducing government spending and not increasing taxes. I am also pro life and will proudly vote for John McCain.

As a gun owner, I am deeply concerned about the makeup of the Supreme Court. I believe that John McCain will appoint conservative judges.

I hope that every gun owner votes for John McCain as he is clearly the best choice over Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Bombing Mecca in Saudi Arabia could cause a global depression of considerable proportions as the Saudi’s withdraw their oil from the world market. It could cause a wave of terrorist activity in the United States not unlike the Intefada in Israel.

I would appreciate it if you keep your off color language to yourself. To me, it is juvenile and low class.

Have a good day as I plan to shoot a little practice trap if it quits raining. Otherwise, I will clean the plastic out of a choke and load a few shells.

Ed Ward

PS Brian, it could be a very long term pain for gun owners if the Supreme Court
    takes a shift to the left. What has happened in the past is done. We can only change the future. The many recent shootings in schools, malls, restaurants, apartment complexes and private homes gives the anti gun forces more ammunition
    to press for additional firearms control.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

As usual, most respondents wandered off the subject. Let's get back to the subject.

The subject is: Short-term pain for long-term gain! Remember the Ford/Carter/ Reagan analogy.

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I think School Teacher has said it right . Don`t expect a Democratic leadership to change the course we have been dealt with . Unfortunately for terrorists the United States had to get into fight and thank God it`s being held in other countries than our own . Lighten up on this and for sure we will be having this battle on our turf . I feel comfortable going out to the store , movies or shopping without the fear of that place being bombed or our childrens schools being blown up . Stay the course and keep the Republicans in power . I`d hate to say this in 4-5 years that I told you so . Keep the Faith .

14. School Teacher

Birdogs:

The "Short-term pain for long-term gain analogy - Ford/Carter/ Reagan" dog won't hunt.

First, the analogy is too simplistic.

Second, world conditions have significantly changed with globalization, the rise of Islamic terrorism, energy shortages and the emergence of China, India and Brazil as major economic forces.

Third, there does not seem to be a “Ronald Reagan” on the horizon.

Lastly, the electorate has changed. There are more independent voters and not as many conservatives. There are more moderate voters and, alas, there is no shortage of liberals.

The war in Iraq, the economy, the war on terror and illegal immigration are the current main issues. The sanctity of marriage, abortion, stem cell research, prayer in school and other evangelical “hot button” issues seem to have cooled off.

To me, both political parties have adopted pro gun positions, although the Democrats are at best just luke warm. The Democrats may still desire more gun control but they don’t want the NRA and gun supporters to get too active. Have not all the Democrat candidates claimed to have engaged in some form of hunting? I don’t know about Obama. The only Democrat who I think was a real hunter was Hubert Humphrey and he reminded me of Elmer Fudd.

Anyway, this election, to me, will be decided on the issues as there is a vast difference on several key issues between the two parties.

It will be interesting.

Ed Ward

15. Dave90T

Dave90T TS Member

"The subject is: Short-term pain for long-term gain! Remember the Ford/Carter/ Reagan analogy."

WTH would I want to do that for?? The Reagan admin led to more gun control anyway.

Right now, whatever his record is, McCain is the only candidate who says candidly that he is against gun control.

If Obama gets in, he has a history of wanting to BAN all semi-automatic firearms. Hillary supports the new "assault weapon" ban, which includes the Ruger 10/22 and Rem 1100. HR1022 is already lined up to be sent to the next president...it will be permanent. Short term pain? I think not.

If anything, a Obama/Hillary presidency will devestate our gun rights beyond repair, not to mention our economy. The next president won't overturn what they did. People will be too fat and happy on welfare and socialized everything to see the damage the dems will do. We're in the spot we're in because Bush is an idiot and was never a true conservative.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Our next President?

John McCain---------hopefully.

John C. Saubak

17. School Teacher

Waterhouselake:

Try this Boolean logic. Vote for a third party and either Hillary or Barack wins. Since they have pledged to rescind the Bush tax cuts, the Bush tax cuts will be allowed to expire.

Vote for John McCain and John McCain wins. He has stated that he will retain the Bush tax cuts so they remain.

Now, you and I both know that the Congress will have to approve an extension of the Bush tax cuts so, if you want to retain the Bush tax cuts, vote Republican.

Ed Ward

18. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Any more conservative policy is pain. Short or long term. McCain knows it and is really a moderate, but not moderate enough. If the dems can produce, they have the white house and congress for the next 16 years.

90% of the American public want a change. So who was the conservative idiot who planned a photo session today with W ? Talk about the wrong immage.

Conservatives just do not get it. Just not very smart.

19. School Teacher

Waterhouselake:

You did not show up on this site until recently and then most of your posts were to advocate voting for a third party. My question again is who are you working for: Hillary or Barack? To me, it’s one or the other so I won’t ask again.

It’s sad that you advocate that the NVA or VC should have killed John McCain.

I intend to vote for John McCain. He best represents my values in the coming election. General Norman Schwarzkopf endorsed John McCain in the Florida primary and many vets, including myself, support him.

I hope that you can find a candidate that you have confidence in so that you have peace in your heart when you vote.

Ed Ward

20. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

Waterhouselake,

After reading your remarks I know who the enemy is and he is you. One good thing from your diatribe is that now I fully support Mc Cain. By the way, I was there, lost friends there and never have I or anyone I know and respect wished that any American Serviceman would have died in Vietnam. I doubt if you have ever carried a gun in support of your country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.