1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Our new adopted family member!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 700X-user, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I know some of you will try and flame my butt for putting this in the shooting related category but I really don't give a rat's A**! You were the one that opened this thread! Besides he is a gun dog!

I just wanted to share a photo of our new family member. This is Buddy! The wife and I just adopted a 7 year old chocolate lab from a shelter here in NW PA. The dog was probably going to be euthanized in the near future. Not many people are looking to adopt older dogs. It has been almost 2 years since our 14 year old Lab died. The wife and I have really missed having a pet. The heartache of our last lab dying was still too painfully fresh to do anything sooner.

No house training required with this old boy. He is absolutely loving life. If you have ever been in a rescue shelter you know how loud and smelly most of these places are. I would encourage anyone out there to consider rescuing an older dog.

Please share any adoption stories you folks might have!

Thanks for checking out this thread!

Ed

2. rivers

rivers Member

Ed, He looks like a keeper!

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Good looking dog and great choice going with adopting!

They're not adopted but here are my two gun dogs.

rich219_2009_2508107.jpg

4. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

A pair of Derringers I presume? :)

5. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

Beautiful Lab. My pair of Magnums
    loutenant_2010_18107.jpg

6. claykiller

claykiller Member

Good looking dog, noble deed on your part to rescue him.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ed, I have the feeling that Buddy just won a dogs lottery being adopted by your family! Good for all concerned and no one should be negative with such a great story!

UtahYork, that is funny guy!!:)

Hap

8. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Ed, no flaming from me. Bunch of kitties we saved on our front porch when flood waters were approaching. Just couldn't leave them to a horrible death. Now they are our best friends and most seem to know that we hauled them all into our MH to safety and left alot behind when disaster was at our door.

Good looking puppy and he'll love you till death do you part!

milt

9. mtneer88

mtneer88 Member

GREAT DOG!! I have two labs and would NEVER have another dog!! Good for you and your wife for saving him. He is one hell of a good looking dog. Congratulations to you!!

10. gunut54

gunut54 TS Member

nice looking Lab....we have a black Lab that was given to us as a gift from my gun dealer friend.....one of his dogs had a surprise litter just days after our last lab had passed away laying at my feet while I was on the computer early one morning......wife said it was meant to be...
    We also have a mess of indoor cats that look a lot like that last pic....all fixed and front declawed to keep most conflicts bloodless.....I like animals but the wife would be the crazy cat woman if I didnt tell her she cant save the world single handedly .......

11. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

We brought home a 1 1/2 y/o rescue Lab on December 10th. Four days later she tried to bite the 10 y/o Vietnamese neighbor kid's face off completely unprovoked. Two days later she jumped up and bit my 4 y/o in the face as he walked into my office. I injured my hand and foot getting that dog off of him.

*No* more adult rescue dogs for us...we'll stick with pups.

I hope your experience is different from mine.

12. knobcreek

knobcreek Member

We don't have to go to a shelter, the adoptees come to us. We live on a dead end country road. The big fellow below adopted us when I was running with my other two labs one day. He was polite, house broke and pretty much trained. We named him Ford (Found On Road Dumped). That was five years ago. He's the most gentle, sweet, well-mannered fellow and helped raise a puppy last winter.

I really don't understand some folks. Pray for the day when all children, puppies, kittens and trapshooters have loving homes.

knobcreek_2011_09125.jpg

Ed, beautiful chocolate. Good job saving him and put your post anywhere you want.

Sandy

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hi Buddy!!!

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Beautiful Pup Ed ...you have a friend for life!

15. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Looks like he just wants to be loved and taken out to run around the field.

16. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Thanks for all the posts! This dog could not be any more gentle! Talk about hitting the jackpot! This is a win-win situation!

Ed

17. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

To the GOOD life!!!!!!!!!

congrats Ed,

Matt Nicol

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Our 2 furry children...
    ljutic73_2008_030332.jpg

19. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Awesome! For you both!

20. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I'm not one to adopt a shelter dog, but I applaud your generosity in doing so. For one thing, I'm not willing to take risks such as those listed above by SevenMaryThree. If I don't know the dog's disposition, ancestry, or possible history of abuse how can I trust it to be a good citizen? Also, if it is not registered or registry eligible then I can't enter it in competitions. That being said, I hope things work out for you, and your new dog enjoys the balance of his life with you.

The picture above was of my new Chesapeake pup Rocky, my grandson Eli, and me on Rocky's first day home nearly two years ago. The next picture is Rocky and Eli Christmas 2010. The last picture is Rocky with some ducks a few weeks ago. He got another couple today, and still has until next weekend to go, then we resume training for field trials and hunt tests.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.