1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Our First President KNEW - Happy Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by 100straight, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 100straight

100straight Member

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of
    Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits,
    and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Thanksgiving Proclamation, 3 October 1789)

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

2. grammie

grammie TS Member

Yes,,,,,but in the "treaty of tripoli" in he late 1700's,,,America signed that treaty knowing full well that it stated----"america was not and is not a nation founding on christianity".....

That George,,,like our present George did a lot of talking,,,,,but rest assured,,,he did obey the laws of god,,,at least 150 times with his black slaves!!!!!

I wonder,,,,,,I wonder what God thought of slavery,,,and how Washington would have defined it in his own mind,,and how he came to the conclusion that he should "own" some????? Why,,,,,surely he must have been doing what he would call "gods work",,,,huh??????

I guess you have to judge a person by his/her time,,,,,and not his/her actions!!!!

AKA Grammie.............

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Politicians will say anything to get relected!

4. porky

porky TS Member

Back in the late 1800's, the Supreme Court heard argument regarding whether or not the United States of America is a Christian nation. THe Supreme Court reviewed the case for 10 years and declared their findings to be that the United States of America is a Christian nation. You can look it up.

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Grammie, you give me another reason to look forward to the second coming of Christ....and that is to see how many faults you find with how he did it. LOL!

Buz

6. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Odin,

Since you didn't know the man personally, it all depends upon the research you believe. Mash on the link.

7. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

"If there is a God"

"I wonder,,,,,,I wonder what God thought of slavery"

My question is, I wonder what God thinks of the same person that made these two statements.

8. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

grammie:
    If you are going to quote something, get it right.
    Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

I think straightshooter1 has it pretty close. grammie, OTH, is mixing his apples and his whatever to try to make a point that truly is lost in limbo. Words mean things and one can interpret words from long ago in an attempt to try to say that Christianity played no part in the founding of the Nation; a point which is seriously lame and untrue. Equally untrue is the point that some try to make that the US was founded as a Christian Nation. It clearly was not, as Mr. Buckner speaks:

From a speech by Ed Buckner, Ph.D.
    "The pirates of the Barbary coast in general and of Tripoli (in what is now called Libya) in particular were destroying U.S. shipping and holding as prisoners U.S. seamen in the 1790s. It was a serious problem and a series of negotiators were sent to try to put together an agreement to improve it.

On 4 November 1796, near the end of George Washington's second term, a treaty with the "Bey and People of Tripoli" was signed, promising cash and other considerations to Tripoli in exchange for peace. Leading the negotiations for the U.S. at that point was Joel Barlow, a diplomat and poet (he wanted very much to be remembered as America's epic poet). Barlow was a friend of Thomas Jefferson and of Thomas Paine (Paine hurriedly entrusted the manuscript of the first part of the Age of Reason to Barlow when Paine was suddenly arrested by the radicals of the French revolution).

Barlow was very likely by 1796 a deist, though he had served earlier as a military chaplain.

".....in truth the vote they cast was ordinary, routine, normal. It was, in other words, quite well accepted, only a few years after first the Constitution and then the First Amendment were ratified, that "the Government of the United States of America was not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." After a bloody and costly civil war and the passage of the Fourteenth Amendment determined that citizens of the United States cannot have their rights abridged by state or local governments either, religious liberty for all was established. Governmental neutrality in matters of religion remains the enduring basis for that liberty."

It's amazing to me that some people cannot accept that the US can be a Christian Nation without having been founded on the Christian religion. The former implies that the Nation was founded on Christian principles, which it clearly was, while the latter implies that were we founded on the Christian religion, we would see Christianity in the law, in the classroom and everywhere else. We would also see intolerance for any other religion. Not unlike how Islam is seen everywhere in many Islamic countries, and how non-Islamic believers are persecuted.

Being a nation not founded on the Christian religion does not take away from the fact that this nation was founded by deists and the Creator was clearly on the minds of those who wrote our founding documents.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gene- I enjoyed your post.

Grammie- You have grossly misunderstood both the words and actions of Mr. Washington.

Pat Ireland

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

How many of you know that Washington was NOT the first President? Know who he was?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.