1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Our final day with Leo

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trapwife, Aug 26, 2013.

1. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Today is a calm, beautiful day in Hannibal, MO, a perfect day to shoot some trap, but instead we will be laying Leo to rest.
    For those who are unable to attend, I just wanted to give you some information. Leo lies in state within a pecan wood casket that has the same hand rubbed finish as a fine gunstock, the corners of the casket resemble duck calls. He is ready to take the line, dressed in his usual jeans, Federal T-shirt and Beretta cap. He has a full box of shells hanging from his belt. In his shirt pocket is a deck of cards, just in case he finds a hearts game. Held in his hands are his ear plugs and his first shell out of the box. The family flowers include antique shell boxes, a White Flyer target, a Stock Lock cap and a Leo's Elite cap. Inside the open lid is a corner floral piece that is centered with the pieces of a broken target and also includes some empty hulls. Floral arrangements and plants flank each side and spill over into an adjoining room. Last night nearly 400 family members, friends and fellow shooters from across the country patiently waited in line to file through the receiving line.
    At the funeral home this afternoon, tributes from family and friends will be shared. Then we will proceed to a small, very old country cemetery that is located just across the highway from our daughter's (Laura) home. He will laid down on the crest of a hill, the high point in the small area, surrounded by old cedar trees. A private dinner will be held this evening at a local restaurant, thanks to some very special friends.
    Tomorrow will be another, new day...

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

May God be with you during this day, and the days to come.

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

May God bless you and your family and all of Leo's friends.

RIP, big guy. A job well done.

4. ShotStop

ShotStop Dedicatedto keeping gun clubs open and shooting.

Karla,

Thank you for sharing. May this day bring you and yours some comfort and reflection on a life well lived.

5. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

God bless Karla and best of luck in the coming days.
    Rooferbob
    Bob and Kim McConnell
    Hamilton Ohio

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Karla,

Thank you so very much for a description of Leo's viewing area ...It sounds spectacular and very fitting, probably just the way Leo would of done it no doubt, thanks to you ... The passing of the Big Guy (Leo) will create a void in the world of Trapshooting that may never be filled again ... Best to you, the Family, and all of Leo's friends ... May the Good Lord watch over and guide you as life goes on ... There was some talk about a "Statue" of Leo on the grounds in Sparta, I would be interested in making a donation to it when it happens ... Heart felt sorrow for you in your loss ... WPT ... (YAC) ... Bill Tiedje, Sun City, Arizona ...

7. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the info...
    Our condolences, the entire trapshooting world is a lesser place with Leo's passing.
    Wish I could be there to hear all of the stories this afternoon.

8. guybo_4

guybo_4 Member

Karla, I spoke with you at Leo's clinic at the Grand about Leo's leather case I had tried to get for my grandson. Being a day late, per our emails, I am so saddened that I did not acquire that piece of a Trap Shooting Giant's memorabilia. He impressed us so much, sitting there in his fold-up chair and providing succinct answers to all questions asked at the clinic. I will forever remember that he said always use a full choke. I am so sorry for your and all trap shootings great loss. Bless you and your family!

9. APrice

APrice Active Member

Thanks so much for sharing Karla. You have so many wonderful memories....I hope they provide some comfort.

10. seitz245

seitz245 TS Member

I bet thats the only way he would want it, I am so sorry we could not be there.may god be with you and the rest of the family,

Dave Shaeffer

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"When you feel sad, cry. When the tears stop, life will go on."

Godspeed, Leo. May God bless all of your family.

Bob Falfa

12. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Such tributes by family, friends, and those who wish to be friends, are testaments to a life well lived. We all can hope to be loved that much.

Godspeed to Leo.

Danny

13. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Thank you Karla ,,I will forever cherish my Leo's elite cap Forever ,may god bless you for all you've done for" the Man " MX8Dave

14. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Karla,
    May our Lord be with you and the rest of the family during this trying time. I'm sure the Big Guy would want you to celebrate his life and remember him for all the good times. I hope you don't need 'rain gear' for all the tears that will be shed, and I am sure there will be many smiles of remembrance from all of us who crossed his path.
    Pat

15. Quaint

Quaint Member

Karla, thank you for sharing Leo with us one last time. You are such a strong, courageous, generous woman and I really admire you for your contribution to Leo's career and the sport of Trapshooting. Even though you have lost your husband, your partner, your best friend - you are still taking care of and comforting everybody else. I can see that you have a huge support system in your family and friends, I hope that soon you will be able to sit back and let them take care of you. May Leo "Go Rest High On That Mountain".

Lori Bumsted

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

a beautiful sendoff fit for a king...but then again Leo really was a king..rest well compadre

17. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

I did not know Leo Well but I knew him, and that is a blessing. Played Texas Holdem with him at a hunting place outside of Sparta a few years ago and Shot off against him Once At Mather's Land of Sports in Springfield ILLINOIS many years ago For a few silver Dollars. He kicked my butt both times and smiled and said It was fun. Shook my hand and that's what makes a great man. My son did end up beating him in the Texas holdem game though. Shook his hand too and said It was fun. Leo It really was fun.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

There simply wouldn't have been any other way to do it. He will be ready to Classify, Squad and shoot when he gets there.

May God bless him on his journey and lay his hands on the Harrison family to comfort them. Take comfort in knowing your time apart is only temporary. God has a special place for good folks like you.

19. biff

biff Active Member

Very fitting with all things which were part of his life. Couldn't have sent him off any other way.....hard for me to read with tears flowing down my cheeks.
    John Payne

20. DiFab

DiFab TS Member

karla god bless you,we morn with you.John DiFabio