1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Our 21 Year Record has come to an End

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dennis DeVault, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Well it is a sad day at DeVault Industries I had a customer call and stop in today with a MachOne. He stated that the trigger was working but the shells were not firing. I took the gun apart and there to my sadness was a broken firing pin. It had sheared off at the shoulder near the larger diameter. The pin had been modified but none the less it is official we have broken our first ever firing pin in 21 years. I am very sad but all good things must come to an end. We installed a new firing pin and sent him on his way. No charge for the repair and it was done while he waited. Thank you and have a wonderful week.

Dennis DeVault

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Damn! There go my bragging rights too. Mach One #83. Fred

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Sounds like a firing pin recall is in the offering. ;-))

Eric

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dennis, that's quite an accomplishment for any firing pin shooting clay targets!! The MachOne, a real tank of a great shotgun with the industry's fastest lock time!

Hap

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Modified firing pin? Why

GB
    DLS

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ha! My Perazzi went 52 weeks before the hammer spring went!!

oh. You said years!!!

7. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I herd of a new book coming out "FIRING PINS, UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED' by Ralph Nader

8. Dennis DeVault

Up until 10 years ago we never had an issue with firing oins but with the new steel base and steel primers coming out the pins had to be extended about .020 to make sure the primers went off and did not miss-fire. This is common on guns like ours that do not have a rebound hammer.

Dennis DeVault

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The firing pin in my Ljutic has never been changed. I bought the gun barely used 25 years ago.

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

21 years now that's impressive, I'll bet there are a lot of other gun builders that wish they had that kind of track record. Have had the pleasure of shooting a couple of your fine guns VERY NICE wish I could afford one. Congratulations--Ross Puls

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

My 1970 BT 99 has gone 41 years on same firing pin. Had Browning install new springs and tighten it up at the Grand this year. 1st time for any maintenance.Never been to a gunsmith. Now it will probably break down.Clyde

12. missed some

missed some TS Member

you guys are comparing one gun, don't know how many shots all the machs have fired, lots i am sure. pretty impressive, even for a guy who shoots a seitz. mark crist

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

There will always be examples of people who've had guns that lasted longer than the average. 21 years without a broken pin on ANY gun is remarkable. It shows the quality built in at the time of design and manufacture.

I've never had a firing pin break in any gun I've owned. But, I only have about 70K total through all my guns put together. I'll bet the gentleman with this gun has more than that on this gun alone.

14. Dennis DeVault

Rastoff,

The person that owns the gun now bought it used in june this year but it had been shot plenty prior to that by the original owner. I inspected the old pin this afternoon and it looks like the heat treat was off and it was too hard. I checked the rockwell and it was at 68 Rc with was a tad bit to hard. Oh well, time to start over on a new record.

Dennis DeVault

15. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I was once chief engineer for the most prominant injection/blow mold entity in the world (Imco Container Co). Few mechnical devices require more exacting tolorances than an injection mold. Have placed tooling for Plough/Maybelline, Helene Curtis, Becton Dickinson, Mary Kay, Prang Water Color (American Crayon), Avon and many other major entities. I've had the privilage of talking tooling, theory and advanced tooling techniques with Dennis over the years. No one, IMO approaches his knowledge of how to perfect mechnical device. Many great ones out there, and I knew Tom Seitz personally. Dennis is an advanced thinker and settles for nothing short of the very best...period! His past record with major contractors is impeccable.

Just my opinion, but an educated one.

milt

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Dennis,

It is one of my goals to own one of your guns one day. I hope it doesn't take too long.

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dennis, Who modified this firing pin, and why??? Sorry about your record!!! break em all Jeff

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My Dad told me I could tear up an anvil.

19. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

George Bush broke it!

20. Dennis DeVault

No it wasn't George Bush I don't think but I could blame him and why not. The pin was modified as described above and we did the modification. What I found was a tool mark in the corner and the radius was not as smooth as it should haver been it was also a little too sharp of a corner. If you have tool marks in sharp corners it will set up a stress riser and that can become the reason for a failure. Thank you for the question.

Dennis Devault

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.