1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Otis Gun Cleaning Systems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnhefley, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning my Les Baer .204 Ruger Super Varmint AR-15.

I was using my Otis Technology Elite cleaning system from Brownells. This system is basically a breech-to-muzzle pull-through system that uses a plastic coated steel cable to pull a patch or brush through the barrel.

I'm a reasonably new user of the system, and mistakenly pulled an "all caliber" patch into the barrel.

Long story short, the patch jammed in the barrel, and I was completely unable to pull it through.

Ultimately, I shot a crazy quantity of Rem oil down both ends of the barrel to lubricate the patch, hoping that it would free itself.

No Dice.

In the end, I clipped the fitting off the cable, looped it, and secured the loop using a couple of brass ferrules.

At this stage, it was quite late at night. But, determined, I went outside with the upper, laid on on my back on the ground behind my truck, looped the cable around my hitch ball, and pulled against the apparatus like my life depended on it.

The cable (patch intact) pulled through! But I had destroyed the cable by clipping the fitting off the end.

I called Otis Technology to buy a replacement cable. I spoke with Kim, the Customer Service Manager. I told her the story, and we shared a bit of a laugh about it. It turns out that Otis' "all caliber" patches are not meant for anything less than .30 caliber (I should have known this, just by observing its size), and they have re-named that product.

She insisted on replacing the cable free of charge. I mentioned that during the ordeal I had also bent (and therefore weakened) the brass T-Handle Bar used for pulling the cable. "No problem. We'll replace that, too." she replied.

In fact, she offered to send me a bottle of Utra Bore Solvent and a resupply of 2" patches as well - all free of charge.

Last night I arrived home to find a UPS delivery from Otis Technology on my porch. That box included all of the above items, a very nice letter from Kim, and an Otis Technology hat.

I guess the bottom line is this: If you're looking for a high quality American made gun cleaning system with a lifetime guarantee, 100% commitment to customer satisfaction, and that (properly used, unlike my efforts) won't damage your firearms, Otis is definitely worth a look.

jh

2. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

made up north in new york - been by the plant going to the adirondack mtn.

good people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.