1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Other gauges in trap shooting ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have no personal experience in other shotgun shooting sports like Skeet and Sporting Clays, but it is my understanding that they have divisions or classes for gauges other than the 12 gauge.

Has the ever been any interest in the Trap shooting world to try other gauges ?

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

No, only a small minority make this suggestion from time-to-time. This idea hasn't gone very far because it makes the game too complex...(wink)...for most shooters. Best Regards, Ed

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Oldgoat, You a skeet shooter? That "wink" makes us trap shooters leary! Sound like your making a jab at the intelligence level of us trapers at large. LOL

4. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Well I for one have seen our best skeet shooters come over to trap and think that they can shoot great scores with a 410....and guess what...they hit 7...

nuff said....

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There are some gals at my trap club who shoot nothing but 20 ga and do quite well.

I made a 7/8ths scale trapgun out of a Rem 1187 20ga when my left arm lost strength from nerve damage due to a chronic pinched nerve. Shot it until enough strength returned to hold up the heavier 12ga gun. After getting used to it, my scores were the same for singles and doubles. Did not use it for handicap.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

On and off interest from various people in past years using 28 gauge, but never went anywhere. I'm sure there is still a few out there with a 28 gauge tube insert.

A gauge you would have reload because of cost, but works well at the 16 yard line. Never tried it at any handicap yardage.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Since I see a lot of people are shooting 1 oz and 7/8th ounce loads at singles, I guess a 20 gauge is a viable choice. I have an old "sweet sixteen" I like to shoot, but the shells are really hard to find and cost way too much.

8. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have seen 7/8 and 1-oz factory loads in 28 gauge too.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I think it would be fun if Trapshooting switched entirely to .410 Bore. Blasphemy? Sure. But think about it for a second...

Here would be the advantages:

1) Once prices adjusted, we would all save a lot of money on ammo & components.

2) It would be more fun to watch and trapshooting would be less boring as a spectator sport.

3) There would be a bit less lead on the ground for enviro-kooks to cause trouble about.

4) Differences in shooter skills would be more apparent and competition among the best would be more fun.

5) The Club Geezers would be frustrated and embarrassed because their diminishing skills would be even more apparent than they already are, and they would finally hang it up. And our sport would finally stop being hurt by their driving away new shooters.

Now the disadvantages:

1) All our 12ga trapguns would become useless (pretty much as they will be anyway if costs keep going up).

2) The new shooters might get frustrated starting out.

3) Comparisons with respect to shooting records would be invalid (who cares, they're not really 100% valid anyway).

It's just a thought to ponder -- no need to flip out.

-Gary

10. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

One one occasion.

Not repeated.

Could not do it on command.

My youngest son broke five straight from the 27 yard line with a 410 shotgun.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Not bad Hammer not bad, My hats off to your son. Do whatever it takes to keep bring him back. You should have not have any problem untill girls (young ladies) enter the picture. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.