1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Other causes of a flinch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a problem that just happens maybe once or twice per 100 if even that often. I remember this somewhat being discussed here a long time ago and thought maybe you guys could offer some hints. I will occasionally experience a flinch or what i call a double pump flinch. My gun is a Beretta 682 Gold E top single. It has a Rad II installed by Greg Hissem and was fitted to me by him. I use light loads always even for caps. This happens so rarely that i've had a hard time figuring out the cause. It doesn't always result in a miss but has cost me plenty. Can you guys offer any help. I have used a release trigger before but don't currently have one and don't really want to go that route unless absolutely needed. Please give me some things to try.---Matt

2. grntitan

I do read my hits but was always told it was a good thing to evaluate your hits and adjust. Hell, i'll try anything.....almost anything.--Matt

3. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Does you flinch seem to be a horizontal flinch?

4. grntitan

Not necessarily any rhyme or reason to it so far that i've been able to uncover. That is what makes it so difficult for me. It can happen with hard rights, hard lefts, straight aways, the first shot, 50th, last or not at all in a round. I keep thinking it has to do with my gun fitment if possible. When i had my BT100 with release i used it because i liked the trigger. I never had the flinch but the gun fit me well. I've had this Beretta for 1 1/2 years now and the past 6 months it has really started to happen. I haven't changed anything with my gun to my knowledge.---Matt

5. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I have heard that if you think or read about a "flinch" you just might flinch.

Thats why I read these threads with my good eye closed.

Just a helpful thought.

Kenny Uhlbeck

6. crackshot

crackshot Member

Grntitan , I have a problem that sounds like yours. I believe mine may be a timming thing. It's like I have a timer in my head and if I'm not on the bird when my brain says shoot I raise my head then pull the trigger. Sometimes I can save it and still break the bird but most times it is a loss. I do it about 1 out of 50 or 75. It is very frustrating...Dave

7. grntitan

Dave --Wow that sounds very much like my problem. I am a somewhat fast shooter and it does seem that when i fail to get on the bird fast enough this happens. I think you may have a least touched on the cause. That will at least give me something to work with. Thanks for your input---Matt

8. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

When you flinch, does the gun seem to move horizontally?

9. grntitan

longshooter---Not necessarily or at least i can't say that for sure. Can you give me a reason why you ask?

10. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

It has been my experience, on a horizontal jerk, that it can be caused by an eye floater, or some other dominance problem. For me, it's an eye floater, causing the other eye to take over, momentarily taking me six feet off the target, in the horizontal plane. The subconscious mind tries to instantaneously correct for this, hence the horiz jerk. Many times, a flinch is not caused by felt recoil.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, I have a bad habit of anticipating the target and starting the gun moving before the target appears. Among other ill effects this seems to promote an occasional flinch. When I tell myself to just hold the gun still until I see and read the target, FOCUS on the target and then just make a smooth move for it........I never flinch.

John C. Saubak

12. grntitan

That makes sense longshooter and something else to consider. Thanks

13. grntitan

John--that has always been an issue with me as well but i never noticed the flinch until the recent past. Being the fast shooter i am its probably at least something to consider.--Thanks

14. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

I have had a simular problem from time to time. I finaly figured out that if, for who knows what reason, I don't pull my trigger with just the pad of my finger and put it to the first nuckel it in some way messes with my brain trigger finger connection. I helped this by putting a little strip of scate board tape on my trigger face. Man I hope this makes since to someone besides myself.
    Carey

15. grntitan

Carey--LOL not sure if it makes sense but i will tell you i have always pulled the trigger with the crease behind my first knuckle on my trigger finger. Heck i'll work on that as well. Seems i'm all screwed up according to you guys. Every damn issue named i can relate too. GEEZ-----Matt

16. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

There are several kinds of flinches, yours sounds like a visual flinch to me. I think that because you said you're a fast shooter. If you think of yourself as a fast shooter maybe you have a time limit in your head that the shot has to be fired by. If you don't see the bird well on some particular shot for whatever reason, possibly you shot without a good visual on the bird to stay on time. You could be trying to make a last second correction that feels like a flinch. After you flinch try to think of what the bird looked like on that shot, you might find your answer. All I know for certain is there are a lot of bad habits to fall into in this game no matter which method you're using.

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Last year I got a new gun and almost instantly started flinching. A friend of mine watched me shoot and he said my pistol grip was cut to far back and I barley could reach the trigger. Sometimes my shooting finger would slide off the trigger and I was pulling on the side of the trigger without my knowledge. I used velcro on my pistol grip to get me closer to the trigger by 1 1/16 inches. I have now shot 3,000 targets without a flinch. In my opinion these are the reasons shooters flinch. Recoil, fear of missing, sight picture is not correct when pulling the trigger, trigger finger not placed on the trigger properly, excessive intensity, moving the gun before the target appears.
    Steve Balistreri

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

When you try everything above, it will be time to go to a release trigger..............

Or, you could just go to a release trigger now and stop flinching.

The choice is yours.

Hauxfan!

19. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

I found myself pushing the gun off my face towards the target. I did not turn properly with the body. I get too fast and arm shoot which causes me to flinch because I couldn't see the target.

Joe

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

A flinch is a learned reflex that was first explained about 1890 by Pavlov with the help of his dog. Many different stimuli can cause a flinch and trigger a flinch. Usually when a flinch develops, it gradually becomes worse.

Not seeing the target well can trigger the reflex. But, if you eliminate that trigger by seeing the targets well, another stimulus will typically develop and you will begin flinching again.

This learned reflex has been financially helpful to a few gunsmiths who have developed release triggers. There release triggers have helped many of us counteract the reflex. Almost all shooters who resist changing to a release trigger continue to suffer from the flinch problem.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.