1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT_Long..Precious Memories....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

My Best Christmas...EVER...

I was 6 years old in 1942 and we had snow and it was very cold. We had opened our presents early and my mom was finishing cooking things to take to my grandparents, my dad's. He had already left to help them as all his brothers and sisters were coming save one uncle who had joined the Navy. My dad was a farmer and ran a little general store with a post office, our farm connected with his parents small farm. There were 11 kids in my dad's family and they loved getting together but usually it was only once a year, Christmas.

My mom finished getting everything together and told me and my two sisters were were going to stop by Mrs. Simpsons house she was taking her something as it was Christmas. I was very afraid of this woman and when I would see her walking to my dad's store I would run and hide. Children in that community said she was a witch and to be honest to me she looked that way and walked with a long pole for a cane and was all stooped over wearing so many clothes that all you could see was her very aged face. I wasn't the only child who was afraid of her as the other kids only said things about her when she wasn't around, saying she could turn you into an animal. She had no relatives and lived alone in an old, old house that was falling down up a holler off the road. My mother was probably the only person who respected and was as good to her as if she were family. She would buy blackberries and walnut kernels from her as she was subsisting on a Civil War Widows pension check, mom always paid her more for them than the going price. My mom would explain to my dad that she wasn't buying them, she was paying for a value of something that can't be bought.

My sister next to me in age asked my mom if she could give Mrs. Simpson a gift of a small throw pillow she had been making and my mom said that would be great. My oldest sister asked if she could give her a pair of house shoes out of my dad's store, so we walked across the road to the store and as my sisters were wrapping their presents I looked on and felt maybe I should do something also. I didn't know what to give someone that old or someone I was scared of, but I happened to look in one of the cases and saw a 10 cent tube of lipstick. I asked my mom if I could give that, to which my oldest sister told me how dumb that was, as Mrs. Simpson didn't even wear lipstick to which my mom supported me by saying "All women like to look pretty!" So I wrapped it the best I could without any help from anybody.

My mom got us all in the back seat of the car with each of us holding our gifts and we went down the road. Twinges of fear increased when we turned off the road and went about 50 feet to where the road was too over grown to go any farther. My mother carried a tray of food with additiomal small things like packages of coffee, sugar, jams(made from the blackberries), and other things that I didn't recognize while I carried my gift and the larger package my mother was giving. All the time we were walking I was thinking I would have to throw the packages I was carrying away if I had to turn and run; but knowing you can't outrun a witch!

I had never seen this house or any house that looked as scary as this one in my whole life since. The roof was black and sagging in the middle and almost falling down on one end and the house itself looked as if ithad never been painted. We stepped upon the porch stamping the snow from our feet careful not to step through the many holes from the rotting planks as my mother knocked on the door calling her name. It took awhile for her to come to the door and she looked surprised as we all said Merry Christmas, she seemed a little grumpy as she wasn't expecting anyone to come to her house and probably very rarely anyone had ever visited. Mom gave her the tray and said "Merry Christmas, this is for you"; she took the tray and sat it on an old tub which was on the porch saying "I just can't believe this!" When she turned around she was crying and hugged my mother and for some reason I wasn't afraid of her anymore. We all gave her our presents and she hugged my sisters and when it came my time she picked me up, I don't know how she did but it was the most wonderful feeling hug I have ever received. My mom's present to her was warm wool sweated and a pair of warm gloves and they were both crying with her saying she had nothing to give us to which my mom said "You have given us a blessing we will always remember." And I have. It started snowing again as we started walking back to the car and we all were singing Jingle Bells.

Mrs. Simpson passed away sometime during the next year.

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Biff, thanks for the wonderful story!

Best, and Merry Christmas

Dennis

3. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Thanks Biff. Great Story!! Have a Wonderful Hollidays!! Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What a great story my friend!! That's what Christmas is all about, giving, sharing and caring!! Thanks buddy! Hap

5. Pukey Stagg

Pukey Stagg TS Member

Thank you, Biff. Hard to keep the tear glands from kickin' in when reading your story. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Pukey Stagg

6. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

What Pukey said! Thanks Biff. Merry Christmas.

7. snapshot

snapshot TS Member

I am so blessed. I got to hear this story in the first person on Sunday morning over breakfast. Biff's story should make us all stop during the "hustle and bustle" and realize as Hap said, the true meaning of the season.

To our friends in "trap nation"...May the light of Christmas shine brightly in your lives all year long.

8. TC

TC TS Member

Thank you Biff, wonderfull story. Tony

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Thank You Biff, for makeing my evening!! I second Pukey as well. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours. May the North Star shine on you all the year. Break=em all. Jeff

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

Thanks for sharing such a memorable moment in your life. You ought to consider writing,as it seems your just as good at that as shooting.

Jim

11. The Stive

The Stive Member

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas. John

12. biff

biff Active Member

Thanks everyone and I wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas!

Times were much simpler back then, there was a war going on in two fronts. Times got tougher over the next few years with rationing of many things we now take for granted. Shells were hard to come by and I guess this is when my dad must have given up for good the trapshooting which he did at times before the war. We were more fortunate than others in our little community, but it seemed as if hard times brought people together more and there were good times when things were the worst.

I attended a one room school heated with a potbelly wood stove for all 8 grades. Several times during the winter the teacher would cook "community" soup(where the students would bring in the vegetables) and we'd all get a bowl of hot soup, this was better than the steady diet of "biscuits and jam" that we brought daily. I can still smell the delicious smell of that soup cooking on top of the stove while I was trying to concentrate on my lessons! Looking back, it seems we had some of the coldest winters on record or so it seemed to me back then as I walked over a mile each day to school! These are Precious Memories, just like the memories each of you are having from shooting trap; the friends you make, the joys of competing, the agonies of missing, and just being at all the different places where you've been. I know these times are special to me!

My dad told me the reason we think more ofthe past is because we have spent more time there than in the present. Here's to my wish, to meet more of TS.Com. people this year! Biff

13. Cray

Cray Member

biff: Great story. Happy Holiday's to you and youres!
    What state do you live in? Cray

14. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Thank you biff, that made my day. Merry Christmas. GOOD LUCK

15. biff

biff Active Member

Cray, I now live in Bowling Green, Ky where the Chevy Corvette is made! Back then I lived in Rockcastle County Kentucky. Biff

16. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

You are quite a talent sir.

Merry Christmas.

Terry.

17. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Biff's story just gives us the real meaning of Christmas (other than Christ's birth) is that it is much better to give than to recieve.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.