1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT WTB scope w/target external adj. knobs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trw, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trw

trw Member

I have been trying to find a good used externally adjustable scope for use on a silhouette rifle. Would prefer a Weaver 'T' series in 12, 16 or 24 power, but open to what may be available as long as it has a solid repeatable returnable adjustment system. If you have such an animal please let me know.

I am also looking for any older Lyman fixed power scopes high or low powered for some other projects.

Dot & post reticles are OK. Thanks all, and hope that your holiday is a good one!

2. REA

REA TS Member

The only externally adjustable scopes that I know of were made by Unertl, or the Lyman targetspots. Weavers are internal.

I have seen posts about converting scopes to external adjustments but I don't know what they are talking about. Maybe you can tell me.

3. trw

trw Member

Poor wording on my part. I am looking for internal adjusting scope with target knobs that are external e.g., Weaver 'T' series.

To perhaps answer your question there were some external target knobs [adapters, really] that were aftermarket made and sold by StoneyPoint. They could be attached to some of the internally adjustable scopes after removing the scopes caps. I have no personal experience with them. They were expensive and they did not fit everything out there, but they did fit a number of scopes. I think there were three dif versions [thread & dia.]

There were numerous externally adjusted scopes, B & L made them for years in small hunting models as did others. In target other scope makes there was Fecker, B&L, Winchester & others. I'm not an expert on the older scopes, but I have seen, owned and used several of them through the years. It may also be posible for someone to fix as in glue the internal adjustments in a scope and then mount it in an externally adjusting mount. Perhaps that is what you saw being ref'd to?

BTW, thanks for the correction, my description didn't read very well at all.

4. REA

REA TS Member

That's what it sounds like. Freeze the internals and use an external mount. Except for mounting on the barrel, they might as well start making Unertl's again. Good systems are hard to keep down. Plenty of adjustment so sloping bases and 30mm tubes aren't needed. I'm not an expert on the subject either. I wouldn't like to pay $800 for a Leupold, glue it shut, etc. and so forth.

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Try this number.... 817-346-9633 This is from the Gun Digest/Gun List. This guy advertises for B&L 6x24, Unertls, Lyman Target, and Weavers. Sounds like he might have what you need.

AJ100

6. trw

trw Member

Thanks, I'll give the # a call

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Buy a good used Leupold with target knobs. Lifetime warranty even if you're not the original owner. In fact, for a reasonable price, Leupold can install target knobs on their scopes. I've bought used Leupolds and sent them back for target knob and/or different reticles. Fast turnaround and a fair price. Try that with, say, a B&L or a Nikon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.