1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Worst Driver Observations

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by OldGoat, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

On another thread I related an example of "worst drivers"...a motorcycle rider who passed me yesterday @ about 50 mph while text messaging on his/her cell phone...(helmet kept me from seeing whether male/female). About a year ago, some woman passed me on I-35 at about 70 mph while eating a bowl of cereal. Yours?

And we live in a dangerous world... Best Regards, Ed

2. KenC

KenC Member

A Colorado State Patrol Sergeant (no less), talking on a cell phone while allowing a (female) motorist, also talking on her cell phone, to pass him and in the process, run through a yellow light, which turned red while she was in the intersection.

He didn't even give her a second look.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I could write a novel on all the crap I've seen in my 34 years of driving.

I think the dumbest was the gal steering with her knees while using a blow drier (!!!) to do her hair on I-84 on the way to work on morning.

The scariest was in the late 1980s while on the way to work on I-84. I was just pulling around a semi-truck in the slow lane when I saw what looked like a car coming right at me. I hit the bakes and jinked my truck behind the semi-trailer, just barely clearing it, as the car went past me in the fast lane. Further up the road there was a convoy of police cars in the eastbound lanes from about a dozen agencies apparently trying to catch up to the errant driver. If I had been only a few feet further up passing the semi, I would not have been able to avoid a collision, because this happened under a bridge, and there was no room to maneuver.

About a month later, an old lady drove the wrong way down I-5, from Longview WA to Portland OR, about 50 miles (!) then had a head on crash on I-405 in downtown Portland. She was driving a late 1950's huge Chrysler painted in a pastel color often referred to as "institutional green". Same exact car that almost hit me.

Apparently she had done this several times, getting on the freeway via exit ramps, and until the crash, had always managed to somehow lose the cops.

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Brian, great examples! Thanks! Ed

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

10 minutes of driving on Hwy. 19 outside of Tampa and you'll see all of these examples plus more (all very scary)....

Curt

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

It sounds bad to admit, but:

Every time I see somebody driving around with one of those "yappy dogs" standing across his lap with its head out the driver's window - I secretly hope the dog spears him in the nuts and runs them both in the ditch (all without hurting anybody innocent, since this is my little fantasy, after all).

7. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

While still in high school a carload of us were driving with one who had just turned 16 and we were on a newly opened stretch of interstate 70 between Brownstown, and Vandalia, Illinois. We had pulled over to look at a pond full of geese and it was twilight. We were getting back in the car when one of the group says "looks like that set of lights coming at us is awfully close to our side of the road." We all looked and stood there and in a few seconds a car passed us with two couples in it all talking to each other and going the wrong way on an interstate highway. They were not paying any attention to us as we all tried to get them to stop. This same thing happend about 15 years later when I was riding to work with two other guys and we had just passed a car and gotten back in our slow lane and a car came out of nowhere running very fast and was just missed by us. Scared the heck out of us. Dan

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I'm going north on the I-5 just past Sylmar Ca when two rice rockets (import street racers for the uninitiated) pull up paralell in lanes 2 and 3. They slow to a dead stop, (it's evening rush hour and traffic was moving at 45 mph) I look to see who these Adam Henrys are and what do you know, it looks like the bloods and crips. Big gap-toothed gansta looking boyz from the hood wearing bandanas, flashing gold teeth etc, the cars are jam-packed with them. And what pray tell are they doing? Why they're having a car to car pow-wow, a shout-out if you will.

Or, just this Am some AH in a Beemer was going 25mph merging onto the I-14 from the Sand Canyon on ramp. He stayed at 25 for almost a quarter mile. Why was he going so slow? Well, he was texting and reading the news paper. Yup, a real multi-tasker.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Years ago on the way to Niagara Falls there was a young woman performing a lewd act on the male driver at highway speeds which could have easily caused a crash. I was pretty annoyed about the risk this shameless girl was causing, but on the way home I gave in and let her do it to me again, LOL.

-Gary

10. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I saw a woman paint her nails while driving last Thursday. Kim

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My pet peeves are "Stop" and "Yield" signs and "left lane loiterers." People seem to think that "Yield" means "take turns." Last week, on the way to a club to shoot, a small SUV came off an entrance ramp, past a "Yield" sign and onto a divided highway right in front of me. That's really nothing unusual but this driver then had the audacity to flash his stop lamps as if to tell me I was tailgating him. Then, as I neared the club, a car came out of a side street through a "Stop" sign right into the path of my car and as I approached, started blowing his horn!

In Pennsylvania, it is illegal to drive in the left or passing lane of a divided highway unless you are passing another vehicle or are about to, yet people come onto highways and dart right over to the passing lane, where they stay for miles - at the speed limit or below it, of course - for no apparent reason. If I politely flash my headlights, they'll speed up a little but won't give up their precious lane for anything. The damned law is not enforced and I've haven't seen signs reminding drivers of the law anywhere but the PA Turnpike.

Okay - rant over.

Ed

12. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

The driver of this car is the worst I have seen in awhile.

Mark

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A couple of years ago I saw two guys in a riceburner get into a fistfight in a car. They were trading blows pretty good, stopping only long enough for the driver to get the car back into rough alignment with the road. Cripes, even rednecks know better than that - at least they'll pull over and get out to have a fistfight.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Every time I think I'm seeing bad drivers, I hearken back to the good old days of driving in Thailand.

Nothing you can throw at me here in the US can compare to the exceptionally bad drivers in Bangkok.

Nothing.

15. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Panama Panama city will give them a run for the worst or at least a close second.Any car with out dents just got there.

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I taught Driver Ed for many years and EVERY year we would see someone driving down the interstate reading a book or newspaper while driving. A buddy and I were eastbound on I 10 from Panama City FL and saw what looked like an airplane on the interstate. Yep, it was an airplane in the westbound lanes doing an emergency landing. Imagine seeing that in your rear view mirror. Good job of driving, he stayed in his lanes and kept up with traffic.

17. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I pulled on to I55 heading north from Cape Girardeau on my way home from a business trip a while back. Both northbound lanes were backed up a ways, going about fifty. The left seemed to be the slower so I settled in the right and finally got up to what was slowing things up. I saw the best example of multitasking/poor driving ever.

A girl (between eighteen and twenty something) driving a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 was driving about fifty, holding a paperback against the steering wheel with one hand, talking on a cell phone scrunched between her ear and shoulder, and holding a large drink (and cigaret) in the other. I honked at her and she added one more thing to her list of tasks, moving the cig to her mouth and then flipping me the bird with the hand holding the drink.

18. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Royce 10

They will get him...it is just a matter of time. And, they will get he rest of these scam artists that are piling on we are seeing everyday. Wait until they prosecute these liars, and all of the sudden I bet the gas pedals stop sticking!

Mark

19. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I used to work at the Bureau of Ingraving in Fort Worth, on the evening shift, and on my way home there was a 4 lane highway, not interstate, that had a place Whiskey Flats, there were a couple of titty bars there but at 12-1 in the morning when I was going home there was often a drunk driving on the wrong side of the road, when I saw them I would just pull over to the shoulder and stop,and hold on, I figured it would be better for them to hit me than for both of to have a head on, kinda reduce the velocity

20. 56007

56007 TS Member

The same drunk driver, two days in a row, at the same time of day, in the same place, driving east in the west bound lane of I-90, on the west edge
    of Austin, Mn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.