1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT --WLS in Chicago

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flinter58, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

As a teenager in the south during the late 60’s – early 70’s , when the winter nights were cold and clear, we used to enjoy listening to an AM station out of Chicago that went by the call letters WLS. As the nights get cold my memory goes back to that enjoyable time…great music …. the news was the Jeffery Hendrix report…..I can remember the weather reports talking about the wind and the chill factor (really bad) and on Saturday night there was a program that started about 10:00 or 11:00 called (I think) Beaker Street ----my memory is fuzzy here ----but the DJ that did that program spoke in a real quite – strung out voice and he would have somewhat psycho music in the back ground -----Anyone know anything about WSL in Chicago? Waht is the dial # - I forgot - I remember it was on the left hand side of the dial......
    Pappa

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

With Larry lujack in the morning and animal stories. I remember that from growing up in Chicago. Steve dahl and the insane coho lips... Goood times. Jeff

3. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

WLS is 890 on AM but they don't play music anymore and haven't for quite awhile. Its all talk radio and news. Rush Limbaugh etc.

Steve

4. mizzou

mizzou TS Member

The "wild" guy at night in the early 60's was Dick Biondi..WLS..other than that, I have no recollection..Mizzou

5. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Actually, Dick Biondi is making a comeback on 94.7 FM, 9PM-midnight together with John Landecker, 3PM-7PM

Lujack & Little Tommy were on 1600 AM until a few months ago when the station closed up shop

Bill Radwan

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ahhhh, the wild man Dick Biondi, remember him well ... He used to live or at least stay at Lake Point Towers (505 N. Lakeshore Drive) a lot, a Buddy of mine lived there and introduced me to him ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

When listening to Biondi today, you would think he just stepped out of a time warp. He has not changed in 40 years. You can listen to him over the internet off the 94.7 website.

Bill Radwan

8. Kynoch

Kynoch TS Member

That's "Little Snot Nosed Tommy" to you Jeff. High point of the day at 6:45 AM before a shift in the factory. Gave one something to smile about off and on for part of the day. Tried not to miss it.

9. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

KAAY 1240 AM Little Rock and WHB 710 AM Kansas City The Wolfman started here! And WBT 1010 AM Charlotte

10. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

When I was in the US Navy there was a station with call letters AWOL.

AWOL coming to you from over the hill on forty strands of barb wire.

11. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

As a kid gowing up I too listen to WLS and the Silver Dollar Survey. It was the best show around. I even had it on my transistor radio to listen on Sunday nights when I was on break at the local radio station that I worked at.
    Check out the listed web site. It has some info that you should like.

Cheers!

12. KRE

KRE TS Member

As a young man just out of the military in 1967, at the age of 21 I recall listening to WLS every night. The summers were great in Northern Indiana, while tooling around in a new (to me) 1966 Chevelle SS with a 425hp 396. The tunes WLS were playing then, are known as oldes now, but I enjoy them just as much now as back then. I can still smell the nights, recall many wild nights on back roads racing, or just in the rear seat with the flavor of the night.

I recall what got Dick Biondi canned, something to the effect,... if the skirts got any shorter, the girls would have two more cheeks to powder, and more hair to comb. He was gone shortly there after.

Thanks for bringing back great times,

Kenneth

13. t-bar

t-bar Member

WLS and Little Snot Nosed Tommy made my drive to work on those cold Indiana mornings a lot more fun. GW11 thanks for the web site, fun to take a trip down memory lane.

tbar

14. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

I'm a native of Pittsburgh, PA and KQV was our rock 'n roll station. At night, if we were lucky, we might pick up WABC (NY), WBZ (Boston) or WLS (Chicago). FYI, Dick Biondi is still on the radio here in Chicago. The station is WZZN-FM 94.7 and is a 24/7 oldies channel. The above link is a recent article in the Sun Times about Dick Biondi.

If you cut and paste the following link, you can listen on the Internet.

http://www.947thezone.com/

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

15. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

I remember fiddlin' with the dial to keep KMOX commin' in just to hear Harry Caray callin' the Cardinal's games out of old Sportsman Park in St. Louis.

16. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

What I remember about WLS were those great advertisements from Union Grove Dragway and Mr Norms Grand Spaulding Dodge. I wish I had all those great cars I had while listening to WLS.

17. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

How about Sunday, Sunday, Sunday at smokin' US 30 dragstrip!!! Try the link above for a trip back to your youth!!

Steve

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Wasn't whailing (wailing??) US 30 drag strip? I remeber going to that drag strip with my dad and brother as a kid and my old man poining out the blacks betting on the drag races.This would have been about 1976 or so. Jeff

19. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

For you young guys, How many remember the WLS Barn Dance...Lulla Belle and Scotty..................Roger

20. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

You guys are killing me!

I remember the Grand Spaulding Dodge ads and Mr. Norm.
    I believe their sponsored driver was Gary_____ something.
    Help me out.

We are talking heavy stuff here, Dick Biondi, Mr. Norm, all a part of my youth and unrealized aspirations.

Never got the hemi, but thinking about the current one.
    Just afraid I couldn't feed it.

Didn't get the corvette either.

ed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.