1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: "WinAntivirusPro" a bad computer virus....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Delbert, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

OT:

I'm sure some goonball will pipe up and suggest that you buy a MAC- count on it.

2. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

OT:

Google "SmitFraud", if it's what I think it is. There is a special tool called SmitFraudFix that will get rid of most of it and Spybot Search & Destroy will get rid of the rest of it.

Turn off system restore, download the two files, reboot in safe mode, and run the two tools. A couple iterations may be needed. Don't forget to turn system restore back on when you're all done.

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

OT:

Recently learned a pretty good trick from a local computer "guru". If you take the hard drive out of your computer, and put it into another computer as a slave drive, you can run a scan with some kind of anti-virus on that drive and that should be able to kill it since it won't be actively running on the slave. Then, delete all of your system recovery files, replace the hard drive back into your computer, and you should be good. Of course this solution takes a little more skills than just hitting "delete" but it's cheaper than taking it to a computer shop.

Oh, and MAC's are no longer "virus-proof", there has recently been a virus discovered that can attack the hard drive of a MAC and kill it dead. Hope this helps, Josh.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

OT:

I would go to Trendmicro.com and use Housecall, should kill it.

So far no virus has licked that technique, and it's free.

HM

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

OT:

try 'Blink' from e-eye.

It's free and very robust.

6. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

OT:

Guys, it's Smitfraud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware_Quake
    http://www.pchell.com/support/smitfraud.shtml

7. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

OT:

Sportshot

I operate a computer business and deal with these issues quite a bit. I can try advising you on what to ask for if you can afford a 80-100 repair bill. This will get it done right. Just re-loading your os doesn't fix the issue when you have other programs and data to concern with. If it is messed up bad a re-load will only be the alternative. E-mail me with more info as to when you 1st got it and what symptoms you have. I'll try to help a fellow shooter. Help the boy out of a jam. nhcs1957@yahoo.com

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

OT:

My experience has been that computer shops aren't all that expensive. The computer I'm using right now locked up on me about six months ago. I took it to a repair shop where the primary 250GB hard drive was pronounced dead. They retrieved every file but one photo from the failed drive and copied them onto my backup 250GB drive for $100. I thought it was $100 VERY well spent!

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.