1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Whole house on demand hot water heater

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by squirrelkiller, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Anybody have one? How do you like it? I'm a propane user.

Thanks,

Rod

2. Butler

Butler TS Member

I am a plumbing contractor and have been for 30 + years, where I live the on demand units don't work very long because of our water quality in certain area's. If u have good soft water that is soft before treating u will probably be fine, there is a lot of them in use around the country without problems, we just have trouble with them here. Jim.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

jim is right on . I dont know about propane . but if you use alot of water the gas is not cheap and electric is out of the question . Check your water first if you have alot of CA you will need a softner too

4. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Rod,

Check out http://www.noritz.com they are some real nice units.

5. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

anybody have an electric one whats good brand

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I dont know what a whole house on demand heater means but I bought a less than 1 year old home in Ft Wayne before I left and it had hot water pipes in the concrete that went out and back which gave you instant hot water wherever you turned it on and we never ran out. It was awesome and I would like to have another like it. It was gas fired.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you wont be able to pay for electric one . You will need to change service to 400amp 3 phase. unit is around $3000

8. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

From what I found when i checked into one I would have to have another service dedicated just for the whole house on. Too expensive in my book.

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Many German housholds have tankless water heaters. Since they wire 240v everywhere, it is easier to install small single point of use heaters in bathrooms. Two of the players are both German and Bosch. The post above was very informative about the freezing problem. Most of them now quailify for the energy tax credit in 2009. Some families are away from their homes or sleeping 16+ hours per day. To heat the 50 gallons of water for about 5-6 hours may be cheaper with a tankless heater if the water is clean and the tank doesn't freeze. Informative thread! Thanks for sharing.

10. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

One word- "Rinnai". It is the best one out there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.