1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT** Who else is a Levergun Enthusiast ????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CalvinMD, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Who else here in the trapshooting world loves shooting and hunting with your granpas guns?? I personally am a big fan of pre-Remington original Marlins and certain model Winchesters...what do you have thats a favorite and tell us if you have any cool hunting stories or pix of your guns or of outings with them....My favorite Marlin is my 375Winchester caliber ..it shoots phenomenoly great (it has a K4 Weaver on it now) and has knocked over a truckload of deer and pigs...my other favorite is the 35Rem..with heavy cast bullets of course
    calvinmd_2008_030397.jpg

calvinmd_2008_030398.jpg

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've got a 336 Marlin 30-30, an 1894 Marlin in 44 mag, it could be a 1895, I can't remember, a 39A golden, and their centenial 39 in .22, with a broken stock, I guess it was a Kodak moment, about 5 years ago I had been having a few brewskis, the gun was leaning on our bedroom wall, I was trying to get my jeans off for bed, they got wrapped around my ankles, and I kinda did a head dive into the wall/gun broke my heart, not my friggin bone head though

I like to shoot the lever guns too, along with all the others

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a Marlin 336 w/open sights in 30-30 and a Marlin 39A in .22 caliber w/Weaver Scope. I wouldn't term myself as a Levergun Enthusiast but i love shooting mine. My 39A gets a round or two thru it everyday(birds). I wouldn't part with either for anything. The 336 model i have is not mint and not worth much but that sucker groups pretty darn nice at 100 yrds with good ammo.

Matt

grntitan_2009_250332.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503214.jpg

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My first big game rifle was a Marlin 336 30/30. Bought new on sale at K-Mart for $76 in 1972. Man I thought I had a real powerful long range shooter! That rifle was a joy to pack (even for a then 12 year old) and it put a decent 4x4 South Dakota whitetail down with one shot authority on that first season's hunt. By the following year I had discovered reloading and was rolling my own shells for it. I had a great time shooting that gun and upgraded to a Williams reciever sight for greater accuracy. I remember plinking with that rifle and being able to consistently hit pop cans at 100 yards or so. Amazing accuracy to me at the time.

It didn't take long until I convinced myself that I really needed a scoped bolt action and I saved my money up for a M700 Remington 7MM mag. Now that was a rifle that made me forget all about the 336 Marlin.

Fast forward a few decades, the old 336 is still in my collection and is in pretty good shape. Every so often I take it out for a plinking session and run a box or two of shells through it. It is still a viable choice for deer hunting even in wide open NV but I have so many other great deer rifles that it is unlikely that I will use my old favorite for that purpose. Who knows though, I tend to do a lot of things just for the fun of it, one more hunt with the 336 doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

5. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I am. I reach for a Winchester Model 94 first, but I also have other Winchesters, Marlins and even a Stevens lever action rifle to choose from. Welcome to the past.

6. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Hi, Calvin! I guess I qualify. I still have the Marlin in .356 Win. I also have 64 Win. in 30/30, a 94 Win. in 38/55, a Win. 9422M in 22 mag and several Win 73's(Ubertis) in 45 Colt. My wife (Miss Cubbie) and I (Gunstock Smith) shoot Cowboy Action. The 73's get quite a workout and are a blast to shoot. I use the 38/55 in cowboy action too in a class we call Cody/Dixon. In it , the rifle targets are at 85 to 125 yds. and must be shot offhand.

Ken Rucker

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Never met my Grandpas, but I do like lever guns. I'm always looking for a good deal on a nice Marlin 39 Mountie (straight grip carbine version). The regular ones like Matt's pictured above are sweet too. Same basic gun Annie Oakley shot.

-Gary

8. grntitan

Gary---What is the Mountie version? I'm not real educated on the different Models of Marlin lever guns. My Grandpa has a Marlin 39A with octagon barrel but other than some fancy engraved 39A's i have seen thats all i know about.

Matt

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I currently own two Marlin 336's in .35 Remington (a 1968 336 RC and a 2000 336 C) and a 39AS. All of the Marlins wear Leupold scopes. The 336's are set up with Leupold Vari-X II's in 2x7 power and the 39 AS wears a Leupold 4x Rim fire Special. I have given away another older 336, also set up with a Leupold Vari-X II 2x7, in .35 Remington to my brother in law.

For deer, no matter how large, under 125 yards, the .35 Remington drops them with one shot. Big holes let in lots of air and let out lots of blood. Over the years, my brother in law and I took well over 30 deer with many of them being 8 pointers or better.

I have other bolt guns and often used a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06, but I love the feel of carrying a 336 in the field.

Ed Ward

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Matt:

This is a Mountie version...

gw22_2008_030319.jpg

Some have a squared-off lever.

11. grntitan

Gary--I'm sorry but i honestly can't see the difference between that one and mine. Is it the stock drop or barrel length?? Sorry for being a dummy but i can't tell.

Matt

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Matt:

Straight grip, not pistol grip.

20" barrel, not 24".

For hunting, I'd rather have yours. It's just that the Mountie is a little more collectible.

-Gary

13. grntitan

Thank you Gary. I can see it now that you pointed them out. My 39A is a squirrel wacking machine(i'm not aways though). Does a heck of a job on Blackbirds too. That is my daily target practice with my favorite CCI CB Longs. I use the same ammo for squirrel hunting as well.

Matt

14. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Oh yeah.......I forgot Carolyn's Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt and the Browning BL-22

Ken Rucker

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The 39a and the Mountie are both classic 22's...i also have one that was made in 1972 and Its a regular golden 39a with the long barrel and pistol grip...I could sit in the woods all day and never shoot a thing ..that gun just makes me feel good to be out with it...and it don't gripe about being locked in a dark closet once I get home...unlike most women

16. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Not a enthusiast I am more of a collector. I have 5 Remington nylon model 76 lever action 22s. Two are Apace black one all black and two Mohawk Brown.

17. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

1886 win in 45/70, marlin 38/55 with cast bullets, and my favorite a 1 Remington single shot in 40/65. I have hunted antelope with this rifle in WY using a 435 gr cast lead bullet and 62 gr black powder, It is neet to hunt like they did over a hundred years ago. thanks Ronnie

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I love lever guns. My second favorite action type after Winchester 1885 Single Shots.

My first lever gun was a Marlin 336C 30-30. Had three loads for it. 150 grainers for deer. Used to run Remington Accelerators though it (55 grainers in a sabot) for varmints, but these were expensive. Accuracy was OK. You could put one in the chamber and one in the magazine, but no more than one in the mag due to the pointed bullet. Switched to a handload using Speer 100 grain Plinker bullets. These were a round nose with a half-jacket, intended for .30 cal handguns. Worked great for varmints. Had a cheap Bushnell scope on it. The wood was actually pretty decent, with some figure and whatever you call the wavy lines in walnut. Wish I still had this gun.

Have a pair of 22 LR lever guns. An old Marlin 39 I've been reworking. It's early enough that the bolt does not have the strengthening modification for high speed ammo. The Model 39 has an octagon barrel, curved grip, and color case hardened receiver. The mag tube is different. The inner mag tube stays in place, while the outside moves for loading.

The other is a more recent Winchester/USRA 9422 Trapper. It's a limited run (500) with a 16" barrel, straight grip, and color cased receiver. I had wanted a Marlin TD39, but they've not made one in many years, and never found one locally.

Also have a Winchester/USRA in 17 HMR. Quite accurate. My only complaint is the comb is so low that cheek weld is poor when using a scope. Been looking for a custom stock maker but it appears no one does the 9422 series other than replacement stocks.

Winchester 1892 in 25-20. I forget the exact year, but it dates to the 1890s. This one is a takedown rifle, with 24" octagon barrel, full length mag tube, straight grip, tang sight, and a crescent butt stock. It's also quite accurate. Factory ammo is expensive, so I have two loads for it. Soft cast 86 grainers from an antique Lyman mold, and assembled using an antique Winchester handloading tool. These loads use blackpowder. For smokeless, I'm using a jacketed 75 grainer at much higher velocity. The 86 grain blackpowder loads have the same trajectory as a .22 LR, but with a bit over twice the bullet weight. They kill small game and varmints much better.

Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt. This was my cowboy shoot gun to match my pair of Schofield revolvers.

Winchester 1894 in 25-35. This was a beater I picked up, and have been working on it. Someone shortened the barrel to 22". The barrel is half-round, half-octagon. Full length mag tube. Straight grip. Crescent buttplate. It shoots OK, but needs a taller front sight, as it shoots high. Has a tang sight too. The 25-35 is on the light side for deer. I thought I'd use the 75 grain 25-20 bullets in it for varminting and coyoting. Testing has shown these loads have the same trajectory as the 218 Bee, but with not quite twice the bullet weight. I have not hunted with it yet.

Another Winchester 1894, but in 30-30. This is the Legendary Lawmen commemorative. Has a nickeled receiver and a 16" barrel. I've put wear on it, so it's not a collector piece anymore.

Marlin 1895 in 45-70. This is one of the first three years production when Marlin reintroduced the 45-70. Easy to tell because the barrel has conventional rifling, not Microgroove. Supposedly Douglas made the barrels for Marlin. Barrel length is 22". Straight grip. Hard plastic buttplate. Quite accurate. Had a 3x Leupold on it.

Browning 1886 rifle and carbine, both in 45-70. Modified them with tang sights, and original Winchester loading gates. The original Winchester 1886 actions could chamber and cycle the 500 grain Trapdoor loads. They won't get past the Browning loading gates because the scallop in them is too shallow. The original gates are deeper. I mainly shoot the 500 grain Trapdoor loads in these with blackpowder.

Winchester 1895 rifle in 30-06. This gun was made in 1926. It has three rare features. First, it's a takedown. Less than 900 were made in takedown. It has a Lyman receiver sight. Less than 500 were ordered with special sights. It also has a crescent buttplate (by 1926 crescent buttplates had been replaced by shotgun style or rubber pads). Less than 500 had special order buttplates. The number of guns made with three special order features is an even smaller subset of these numbers. When I first got the gun it shot way high with 150 grainers. It was dead on with 220 grainers. My guess is someone used it for elk.

This doesn't count the lever guns I've traded or sold off over the years, nor some squirreled non-functional project guns.

I've been wanting some lever guns in other calibers. Was hoping Marlin would make clones of their 1894 Cowboy guns in 218 Bee and 32-20. That hasn't happened. Haven't found a good 218 Bee locally either. Would like a Marlin trapper length 1894 in 44 Mag as well.

19. capulona

capulona TS Member

I've a Ruger 96/22, discontinued some years ago, but a fun little plinker. Put a cheap scope on it and it looks way cool, sort of a mini-Cowboy gun. The picture is not mine, but it looks exactly like it.
    capulona_2010_28114.jpg

20. grntitan

Hmmm. That lever Ruger looks just like a 10/22 except with a lever thrown on. Had never seen one of those before. Interesting.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lever gun enthusiast