1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Where to Sell a Ladies Fox Fur Coat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Easystreet, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I need some advice here. My wife has a fox fur coat (about hip length) that she has had for about 25 to 30 years. This is real fur, not imitation stuff. I doubt that the coat has been worn 10 to 12 times in that 25-30 years. We would occasionally go to a Christmas party where my wife would wear it. Other than that, it just hung in a garment bag in the closet.

Now that we have lived in Florida for the past 9 years, the coat isn't being worn at all. She suggested to me today that we should sell it. My question is how do I go about selling it? I know nothing about selling anything on Ebay. I've never bought or sold anything there.

So what would be the best way to sell it for a reasonable price? Thanks for any help.

Easystreet

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Ebay store or list it on one of the traditional muzzle loader sites for someone to break it down into individual pieces and use it for authentic costume trim, etc.

rm

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Real fur coats are not very PC these days. A 30 year old fox fur coat would be somewhat out of style in any case. See what you can do with local thrift shops that buy used clothing or do an online search for used fur coats and hope for the best.

Eric

4. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

You could try selling it on Craigslist ....... it free! and this would be a good time of the year to try and sell your wifes coat. Don't forget to post a picture with it ..... that always helps.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

5. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Try an add in the Fairbanks, AK local paper.

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

If there is a furrier in your town, try taking it there and see if they'd buy it or put it on consignment.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Craigslist is the way to go. My wife give me a list of stuff of her's to sell today and it all gone.......... she is $1800.00 ahead tonight.

She has a diamond dinner ring she may want me to post tomorrow. The ring I give her 35 years ago when we frist meet and I don't think she hasn't had it on a dozen time........ I paid big bucks for this ring to. She did tell me if I sold it I could use that money for a new trap gun.

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

outside a peta convention?

9. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Selling a diamond ring on Craig's List got a father murdered here in the Pacific Northwest when the "buyers" showed up at his home. There are better ways.

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If you have a Macy's by you, you may want to see if they have a fur store. Furs need to stored and cleaned properly. My wife has two of them. They are stored in the summer in a cold storage at the Macy's furrier here in Novi. 1 is a gray fox and the other is a brown mink. Over time the mink pelts become loose and needs to be repaired. Cleaning of smoke, pollution etc...

I would try in your local paper first. If you sell it on Craigslist, make sure you don't sell anything from your home and bring someone with you for the transaction. People around here in MI has been ripped off during transactions. Especially with jewelry.

See the above link...

Jerbear

11. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Yes don't sell anything from your home, always meet in places where there are a lot of people like the mall ........... plus I always carry my glock with me just in case things would get ugle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.