1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Steve W, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

"O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?" "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, 1592

A name is, A name. No matter how you call it, you are still you. :)

I respect what you believed to keep your father's original name and proud of it.

Many great names has been Americanized, some famous name like "Henry Steinway" the founder of well known German piano maker, was originally "Heinrich Steinweg", he changed his name to American when he came to the U.S. at age 53.

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Your teacher should be teaching science, instead of English, Shakespeare wasn't a text book writer, his beautiful words and stories are not to be used for scientific proof. Your teacher lost what's important about the beauty of English through Shakespeare. :)

Anyway, my teacher look like this, so I tend to believe her interpretation of Shakespearte,

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> teacher.png </a>

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    When my great grandparents on my grandmother's side came over from Norway, the officials changed their name because "Johnson" was too common. They were asked what town they came from, and that became their new last name - Feland.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

My real name is Stefanu Antonio Balistreri. When I was a kid living in Milwaukee, the mob boss of Milwaukee had the same last name as myself and family. One day I came home from school after my younger brother and I were being taunted that my relatives were all in the mob etc. I asked my dad if I could please change my name and he said" why would you want to change your name? Stefanu is a beautiful name". I told him that I wanted to change my last name and he got really offended and angry. Growing up all my friends in my old neighborhood called me Stephie. To make things easier in trapshooting I just told people to call me Steve.
    Steve Balistreri

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

When my Granddad and my Grand? Uncle went into the Swedeish army their name was Pearson, the army told them there were too many Pearsons, so they needed to change their names, when they were younger, they went to Germany and stayed in a hotel named Waldstein, they liked that so they changed their name to it and we are still Waldsteins

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I always had a hard (sic) time with English.

Curt

[​IMG]

7. pdq

pdq Member

Frank:

Talk about names, I had a client who's last name was Little and hsi parents named him Richard, and everyone called him Dick. Worst was when he had to fill out forms, last name first.

Gal I knew from college married a fellow whose last name was Thomas. Guess what his parents named him -- obviously, Thomas. So, he was Tommy Thomas.

2 or 3 more I could relate, but makes you wonder what parents are thinking when they come up with names.

Pete

8. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

In high school a kid's last name was Hoff.
    Everyone called him Jack.(even the teachers)

Arnie

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

This thread is very interesting and I am also confused at both names in my family history . Looked at some old paperwork and saw that my fathers birth certificate from 1911 has his name as Robert Terry Hughes with Juhas in parenthesis with a question mark next to it . He joined the Coast Guard and used his fathers name of John ? Why I have no idea because he never saw his father . As I grew up and the question was asked what my mothers "maiden name" was I would say Zero for Clara Zero (Polish) but I later found out they would write down 0 ?? She also changed her name only thru her teen school years to Claire Zyra . My Uncle legally changed his to Zera so now on all head stones it is carved Zero and Zera in the family plot side by side . Just found out from a Polish fellow Sunday that the Z may have had an slash above it in the spelling ??

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

In high school one of the girls had a last name of Barr. Parents named her Candy. We also had a gal with the last name of Chrsitmas, and you guessed it, parents named her Mary. Nothing but problems for both of these girls in high school.
    Steve

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We had a secratary once her name was Candi Cane

The name fit her good, she wasn't bent, but she sure was sweet

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No BS, I met this gal with the first name of Ima last name Fagg. Really must suck being her.

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have observed this thread since it started and I have different slant on your name.

As a youth my mother gave me a gift and asked me to read what it said and think about what it means and do the right thing. Here is what it said it is a poem of sorts

It is a wall plaque and it has across the top my last name is says.

You got it from your farther, it was all he had to give.

So it is your to use and cherish, for as long as you may live.

If you loose the watch he gave you, it can always be replaced.

But a black mark on your name, son, can never be erased.

It was clean the day you took it, and a worthy name to bear.

When he got it from his father , there was no dishonor there.

So make sure you guard it wisely, after all is said and done.

You will be glad the name is spotless, when you give it to your son.

Well they are both gone now but these words have always stuck with me. No one can take my name from me and I would never change it for any reason.

I guess it all depends on how you look at things and what they mean to you. Some of what has been said here i agree with and some of it I don't but I won't go any farther than that in an explanation.

Bob Lawless

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

A friend taught in a school with the Lear family....King, Chrystal Chanda, and Gaye Cava.

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Girls have had to change their last names for centuries. You guys have it good.

16. shelly

shelly TS Member

Had to change their last name???? What law is that?

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Shelly, it's not a law, as you well know. It's a Christian tradition. I happened to keep my last name when I married Martin, but he gets angry at me every time one of his friends asks why I have a different last name.

That's now. In older times, if the woman wanted to insure inheritance (for her and her future children) upon her husband's death, then she took his last name upon marriage. That was another reason, besides the biblical one, that this has become a tradition.

18. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

If I had a digital camera and knew how to post pictures on this web site, I would show you a mail box just outside Odon, IN. There is extensive family in these parts whose name is Long. On the mail box is Harden Long. I swear that is the honest truth, and if anyone is in this area, I would be glad to show you that mail box. Herb Roach

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Devi.. I'm not up to date on name changes in different faiths.. But in Italy.. the woman keeps her last name..Regardless of what faith they are..even the youngsters.. when they get married.. I.. on the other hand have no last name over there.. I'm Mike.. Betty's husband..LOL.. and the Mike is new..I'm usually addressed as Betty's husband..the gun guy..

20. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Where I grew up, the town had nothing newsworthy to print in the local paper. So there were days when the headlines would read "Little Jimmy Whitted steals homemade pie"! When I left home my Dad said, "you may have pulled a lot of B... s... in your time, but, you never brought dishonor to the name. Which isn't a hard thing to do, in this town".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.