1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ What size shot for crows?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I was out today just goofing off really when 3 crows flew right over me at about 35-40 yards. All I had was Winchester universal #8, Shot 3 times without dropping 1. Terrible shooting or too small shot?

2. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

5s always dropped them for me

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Slugs, for the ones around here.

4. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

5. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Federal Super Field 3 1/4, 1 1/4, 7.5 is serious crow medicine.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Wait until they land. Then a 22-250. A beak and two feet is all thats left.

Wayne

7. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

If you are calling them in use 6 or 7 1/2's because they will be within 20 yards most of the time. Just shooting passing crows use #4. I use 2 3/4" gun club hulls with max load of longshot behind 1 1/4 oz. of # 4's. About 1400 fps will reach out to 40-50 yards and knock their beak off. Too bad you can't buy the cheap Johnny Stewart cassettes any more. That Death cry tape brought em in hot and heavy.

I'd say at 35 yards those trap loads didn't have much momentum left. At twenty they would have been dead.

8. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

T-Master,

They are smart and they have really good radar so my guess is that they flew through the holes in your pattern. What Wayne said is fun, but if you want to have some REAL fun, start collecting roadkill and keep it in lockable metal garbage can out behind the shed. Build a brushy blind sort of like a duck blind but smaller and more personalized. Long about October 1, get up at 5:30AM, get dressed, and get 6 icey cold beers and put them in the blind. Go down range about 20 yards and salt the area with some ripe roadkill and then just come back and wait. Use 8s in a 12ga. skeet gun and see how many you can kill with one shot. I don't think they have a section in the Guinness Book yet, but shucks, everything has to start somewhere....what the heck, if you record 6, I'll do my best to up ya' one.

I know there are many varying opinions on the relative merits of 7 1/2s and 8s here at Trapshooters.Com, but you guys are just gonna have to trust me on this one.

PS-Cornstalks make the best backyard crow blinds.

All the best, Kit

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Size 6 shot will do a good job on crows out to around 45 yards or so. I used to shoot them by calling them in with the old cassette tapes which I still have several of. I've also got several predator calling cassette tapes too. Maybe I should put an ad on here and sell them.

Easystreet

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Get the Foxpro CS24 and some Winchester Heavy Game 6's. I kill hundreds a year with these.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I generally set and wait for a good wing shot so I can cripple one. I stake him to the ground and let him do the callin'. I run out of shoulder before running out of birds.

wayneo,

Kinda like hitting one with a 243. Watch it swell up about twice its normal size then turn into a cloud of feathers.

ss

12. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

It kinda slipped my mind, but if you don't like the idea of a crow blind, it's real easy to build a pillbox out of bales of straw. On the third course, you leave a 4 or 5" space between bales and use the course below to rest the gun on. Make sure you direct the opening toward the bait...you know, "clear field of fire," and then crack a beer. The little buggers won't have a clue. Everytime you bust a few, go out and clean up and go back to the pillbox and wait for more.

Crows and seagulls....we call them "Flying Rats."

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

7 1/2s or 8s always worked for me. I just eventually figured out where the gun was shooting and how far 50 yards actually was. I used up a bunch of #6 rabbit loads and never had trouble either. My favorite is a 22 rimfire or 22 Hornet. Quiet and cheap. The 22-250 or Swift comes out when they have desecrated my car, or they have figured out how far 50 yards actually is.

14. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Those 3 crows were just lucky. I've taken lots of them with my "standard" trap load: STS hull, Fiocchi 616 primer, 16.0gr Promo, CB1100 wad, & 1oz #8s, out of my old Win. 1200 30" fixed full-choked gun. If you want to have more fun use a .17HMR or .17HM2 rifle. Hate crows, have seen them gang up on and tear apart a small house wren.

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I've shot lots of them with #8's (chilled shot) in a standard 20 ga. load (1,200 fps) in a SxS on my Aunt and Uncles farm. No Problem at all with them or pigeons, blackbirds. Fun days in my youth. Break-em all. Jeff

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

12 guage-what choke? Full or IM ?

17. nut

nut Member

1 1/4 of 5 shot pushed by 36 grains of long shot powder

turns them in side out at 20 yards

I hate crows but love hunting them

18. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I was using a CompnChoke light full I'm guessing at the distance could have been further or closer. My question is about the shells, The reason I was goofing off with Winchester universal #8's was I had a hard time breaking targets with them and I was'nt the only one at the club that says they won't shoot them.

19. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

A friend and I go crow hunting every week end religously. Last year we got a little over the 40 mark. Have used anything from 9 shot to steel. ^ is what I prefer. Its a great time.

20. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

A friend and I go crow hunting every week end religously. Last year we got a little over the 40 mark. Have used anything from 9 shot to steel. ^ is what I prefer. Its a great time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crow hunt shot size

shot size for crow