1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ What is best electrical parts cleaner for auto

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

my Ford Sport Track is stalling, and I have to clean the IAC valve. What is the best NON-RESIDUE electric parts cleaner to use, and where do I buy it? Auto Zone?

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

If you are trying to clean the carbon off of the inside use Carb and Choke cleaner. If you are trying to clean the electrical contacts use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Devi, a good carb cleanere will clean the throttle body making sure that it cleans goods where the throttleplate closes the body. Be sure to keep the rpms up while spraying. After cleaning disconnect the battery for five minutes and let the computer learn how to idle again. Get a can of Seafoam and put in your gas tank and this will also help to clean things up.

But you should not use solvent/carb cleaners on the IAC valve. This will probably get some response from the Ford guys but take a scredwriver and rap the valve several times with the vehicle running if you can safely do so.(Seriously) This has cured many a vehicle. Jackie B.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Devi, a good carb cleanere will clean the throttle body making sure that it cleans goods where the throttleplate closes the body. Be sure to keep the rpms up while spraying. After cleaning disconnect the battery for five minutes and let the computer learn how to idle again. Get a can of Seafoam and put in your gas tank and this will also help to clean things up.

But you should not use solvent/carb cleaners on the IAC valve. This will probably get some response from the Ford guys but take a scredwriver and rap the valve several times with the vehicle running if you can safely do so.(Seriously) This has cured many a vehicle. Jackie B.

5. recurvyarcher

Thanks, Jackie...I'll try to tapping thing. Martin told me to take it off and blow it out with air, but I don't have a compressor. If the tapping doesn't work, I'll go buy a can of air today and try that next.

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

some of the iac motors can be unscrewed easily and then you can clean the seat .

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

straight99 gave good advice but he forgot to mention that both products are acetone. You can get a gallon of acetone for +-$8.00 at a paint store. What you don't use on the IAC valve is great for cleaning barrels. Martin could blow out the valve. I will not mention anything about hot air.

Pat Ireland

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Buy a carry tank for air, Auto Zone sells them for around 18.00.

Very handy thing to have around. You need a couple fittings and a blow gun in addition to the tire inflator. Then you can go to the gas station and get all the air you want.

I think you can get a lot of blow gun duty out of a 3-5 gallon tank.

Or you can use scuba stuff, too. then you will have more air but initial investment will be higher. when I was racing several guys had scuba tanks for tire changes.

HM

HM

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Shooting Jack was on the money if you can tapp the IAC valve when the vehicle is running.

10. recurvyarcher

Well, guys...I fixed it. Me, being the curious person that I am (and the CHEAP person that I am), I wanted to see if I could fix it myself.

I am also a scientist, so I had to experiment. I first made sure the car would still not idle by starting it twice. Each time it still stalled. Then, because I was by myself and I didn't want to call any friends to come over, I tapped the IAC while the car was off, just to see what it would do. Light tap-tap with a hammer. Started right up, and continued to start up every time. Because I thought it make sense to loosen some of the dust while it was running (so the filter could catch it), I tapped a couple more times before shutting the car off and re-installing the cover.

Zero dollars. Hmmm...I think I'll go out and buy myself some reloading supplies with the money that I saved by not taking it to the garage. :)

And, Pat...NO self-respecting woman would waste nail polish remover on a GUN...sheesh!!!

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You should still have air around for all the things you can do with it.

I just bought a very nifty small compressor, I can carry it easily, with a 2 gallon tank, 1 horsepower. I paid 80 bucks in Sears' refurb department in back of the store, same guarantee as a new one.

My big one goes unused now.

HM

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

CRC "Throttle Body and Air Intake Cleaner". The IAC is easily removed with an 8mm socket wrench. Remove the two bolts and wire connector and you are good to go. Once it is off, clean it with the CRC spray. Then just shake ot out and hope for the best. If the gasket is damaged, replace it. Most often the gasket comes off intact and can actually be reused. Quite often, the IAC will require replacement. Get an original Ford part or one from Motorcraft. There have been even more issues with the aftermarket replacements. I would also recommend cleaning the throttle plates, since that could also be part of the problem. Spray some in, let it sit, then wipe it off with a shop towel and repeat.

The CRC cleaner is available at most Walmarts, Autozone, and Advance auto parts stores. Some cleaners will attack the electrical insulation in the IAC. Acetone is therefore NOT recommended. Plain electrical motor cleaner or brakeclean will also work, but not quite as well.

In any event DO NOT USE any products that contain SILICONE!

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

recurvy- Yes, acetone + glycerine = finger nail polish remover. You did a fine job tapping the IAC. I am pleased to see ladies looking under the hood of their automobiles. Under the hood has for too long been a mans world. Recurvy, someday would you show me where the IAC is and what it does?
    Quack Shot let me know it has electrical insulation and certainly acetone would damage it.

My computer has been stalling a little lately and I see the air intake grill is dirty. I think I will use the recurvy hammer technique. A few light hammer taps after I spray in a little acetone should change things for me.

Pat Ireland

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

FORD IAC valves, try cleaning the port, but really the windings in the IAC motor are junk, while your under there find all the ground conections you can, clean and makesure they are tight. Taping leads to replacement. Do many many IAC motors on all cars. I dont know about you guys but carbon build up is not much of an issue as it once was. Unless vehicle is abused and not maintained. On the newer cars beware idle learn can be a PITA, some require restting PCM with dealer scan tool. fly by wire especially, also Readiness for the I/M testing in your state can be affected so do not attempt a relearn prior to inspection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is the best electrical parts cleaner