1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT What Gas Grill do you recommend and why?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by IM390, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IM390

IM390 Member

Quality, size, use(s). Never had one and father's day is comming.

2. M-16

M-16 TS Member

I like Weber SS but $$ Use them to compare others tripple burner heats evenly, also flavor bars protect burner tubes [Mine 10yr old still good] When you go look at them take a magnet cheap SS it sticks to, and yes cheap SS can rust out.
    Porcilen grates work but they chip and flake with age.
    Charcoal is still your best flavor, but takes longer to get ready and more of a mess.There are many diffrent kinds out there that are good look at their construction/ sturdyness and price. Keeping a grill cleaned out makes them last longer especially in high humidity area's like PA. Grill size figure 50% of the grate used for normal portions, full want to use only 75% avoids flar-ups and leaves room for flipping. I've cleaned the snow off of mine to use it for pies, roasts, bread, ect.

3. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I HAVE A PATIO CADDY . A SMALL ROUND GAS GRILL BY CHARMGLOW. HEATS QUICK

IRON BURNER, CERAMIC GRILL. CHEAP AND ECONOMICAL. USES 1/3 THE PROPANE THEN MY

BIG WEBER WHICH I NOW ONLY USE FOR BIG CROWDS. VERY DURABLE. HAVE ONE 4 YEARS

AND NO RUST. PRICED LIKE A ONE SEASON THROWAWAY SEARS GRILL, BUT MADE TO LAST.

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

When I lived in NJ had a top of the line DUCANE, it was great, lots of so called good stainless parts, well!!---moved to FL. the salt air & humidity destroyed it in less than 2 years--almost all grills besides WEBER are made in China---if you live near salt water & high hummidity--buy the cheapest one you can get away with & trash it every 2-3 years---I got a stainless grill from Lowes, we have replaced it 3 times-under warranty-I get a new grill every eleven months-the fittings, trim & burner rot away in that time---(it looks like a domb on a pedestal) what crap----Phil

5. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Buy the most expensive you can find and help the economy. Also, the most expensive is always the best- I learned that here on ts.com.

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Ducane. Lifetime warranty and I've used it big time. Replaced most of it in the past 15 years.

Company was bought by Webber some time back. Freebies may be over!

7. Bob in Georgia

Bob in Georgia TS Member

Holland Grill. Best grill I've ever owned - eight years and counting. Cooked steak, burgers, hot dogs, pork loins, pork chops, chickens, turkeys, bisquits, rolls, cherry pies, bacon, eggs, potatoes vegetables, all to perfection. You can grill, steam or smoke on it. No flare-ups. Cook by time... close the lid, come back and eat. Their motto... "If you're looking...you're not cooking" . Check out hollandgrill.com

8. Chris

Chris TS Member

Click on the above!

9. famill00

famill00 TS Member

How could you want a gas grill? Is your name Hank Hill and/or are your a propane salesman? Charcoal is the only way to go.

Forrest

10. david

david Member

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Chris gave you a website for Treager. I have one and it is way better than I can put into words. BUT - I really do not like it for steaks or anything that I want seared. There is no direct fire to your meat? With that said, it is without a doubt the best smoker you can possibly want. It uses wood pellets and there are multiple flavors. ( Alder, Cherry, Apple etc) The Treager has two plus's that none other have. You can smoke it perfectly and leave it on and go to bed without worry. It will not burn meat when used as a grill. I personally do not care for it as a grill much but as a smoker it is tops.

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I bought a nice Bakers and Chefs 3 burner gas grill from Sam's Club about 4 years ago. It was around $400 - $500 plus another $150 for accessories I ordered from the manufacturer.

The grill has three large rectangular elements upon which sit ceramic blocks with vent holes to distribute the gas flames. It cooks very well. I also bought a cast iron deep dish Dutch oven style cook pan that, with its heavy top, allows you to bake with the grill and a cast iron griddle that is great for cooking sliced vegetables like summer squash, onions, green peppers, mushrooms and the like.

I have my Bakers and Chefs set up with the Dutch oven over one burner, a grill on the middle burner and a griddle on the third burner. I can simmer baked beans in the Dutch oven, cook 10 chicken breasts on the middle grill and cook flapjack style corn bread and sauté sliced vegetables on the grill.

The biggest drawback with the gas grill is that you cannot use wood chips to get a real smokey flavor. However, the gas grill heats up fast and I can cook for a large group.

For real flavor, I always go back to a 1972 Weber big black round kettle smoker, Kingsford charcoal and hickory chunks. This old Weber looks like it was used in an underground coal mine as it is covered with built up carbon deposits inside and out.

For really intense hickory flavor using the Weber smoker, I melt a stick of butter in a sauce pan and add about 4 oz. of Colgin Liquid Smoke. Brush this on before and during grilling and listen to your guests rave about your food.

Take your time and go easy on the charcoal. A lot of charcoal in a Weber can really get hot.

Ed Ward

13. rrose

rrose TS Member

Weber with 3 burners is the way to go, it is worth every penny for the quality and the taste of food cooked on it can not be compared to a lesser grill.
    randy

14. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Has anybody used a Jenn Air grill? I see them at Lowes and they look to built like a tank. I am tempted to buy one. Todd

15. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

One with cast iron burners, got mine from sears.

16. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

If you want one that will last (even in the saltwater environment) go with PGS.
    See the link below.

http://www.pgscorp.com/bbq/kSeries/index.shtml

Not cheap but, extremely well built.

BR1

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm on my 2nd Ducane.

I bought my first one when they were Ducane and that lasted about 15 years - gave it to my car repair guy and he's still using it for the shop. The 2nd one is now a subsidiary of Weber-Stephens - I bought it year ago, stainless 4-burner, thru Ace Hardware $369 on sale - deal and 1/2!

The newer Ducane uses flavorizer bar technology similar to Weber - which makes sense since they are owned by them now. Flashier design, hope I get 1/2 the life out of this 2nd model, but no comlaints so far.

Jay

18. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Charcoal? Yuk. Do yourself a favor (and enjoy the compliments) when you BBQ next time with mesquite wood. Burns hot, burns long, and gives any meat, poultry, or fish an excellent flavor. I also use old grave vine stumps, hickory chips on the mesquite and almond wood.
    I have a brother in law who swears by his Weber Genesis II and he uses mostly mesquite on one of the side grills.

Brinkman makes an excellent smoker/grill shaped like a barrel cut length ways...about $120. at Home Depot. They were made in Texas, but now likely China.

19. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Weber, three burner, SS, had mine now for 6 years and going strong.
    One thing I did is order it to use natural gas, have it hooked up on my deck and never have to worry about running a tank dry.

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My neighbors ...the gas is way cheaper...and come to think of it so are his steaks....Hey Curt...are you cooking a big spread for the Delaware State Shoot like you did a few years back? Let me know so I can get the campsite next to you there good buddy!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.