1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - What food processor??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by MX/MT, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

I need to get a food processor and was wondering if there is a brand and/or model that is generally considered the best?

I don't mind paying for quality, but don't want to spend more if it's not necessary.

I just need it to chop, puree, etc. Normal food processor stuff. What I don't need is blender attachments and other unrelated attachments. I have a Blend-tec blender that does an unbelievable job for it's intended purpose. I am looking for a little more control for veggies, nuts, etc. as well as a smaller container than a blender.

Thanks for any info!

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

About 8 years ago the wife and I were shopping for food processors....We narrowed the choice down to a Kitchen-aid or a Cuisinart. We chose the Kitchen-aid because it looked like it would be easier to clean. Mistake...the safety system in the handle of the work bowl is plastic junk. You can't buy the parts separately you have to buy the whole work bowl. $34.00. We are on our second work bowl, and its starting to fall apart.......Should have bought the Cuisinart.

Wayne

3. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Thanks for the info Wayne.

I remember that Cuisinart used to be the one that all others were compared to. I don't keep up with that sort of thing so I thought there might be another brand that is preferred these days.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Cuisinart is decent, provide you opt for the heavier duty models with real metal parts. Hamilton Beach once made some great stuff. I had a commercial unit that was great. I'm not sure about their current line.

5. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

We have had several of the smaller units. The kitchen-Aid is the best one that we have ever had. Not cheap but very powerful and well built. We use it alot. Neil Swenson

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Always bought Quisinart until two years ago. Bought a Kitchenaid and it has been fabulous. Not sure what Wayne is speaking of about the handle? We just love ours and the day she got it she said it was better than her last by far?? The previous was the Quisinart. We do have a mini Quisi and it is fine

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lou, MX/MT, like I said it was 8 years ago. The Kitchenaid was $130.00 and the Cuisinart was $140, money was not an issue. The Kitchenaid at the time had a plastic plunger and a spring inside the the handle. There is a safety switch on the top-front of the processor, the unit won't turn on if the work bowl, or the top isn't in place, the plunger in the handle pushes on the safety switch.

The plastic inside the the handle will eventually break, and the spring and plunger become useless. I see on their web-site the handle has been redesigned.

I still think the Kitchenaid stand mixers are the best you can buy for home use, and they are made by Hobart in Troy Ohio. The processors are made in France. My wife is a chef and I get to see and use a lot of kitchen equipment.

Wayne

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

DeLonghi DFP880. It has a 12 cup and a smaller 4 cup container. Very quiet, and really fast. I had a Cuisinart before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.