1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: What do you remember?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by atashooter, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atashooter

atashooter Member

Remember the days of growing up.....

Hopping on your Huffy with the banana seat with a sissy bar...playing cards stuck in the spokes with clothespins..

Eating half of you Trick or Treat candy before you got home without having to it Xray'd...

Getting into a fist fight and not having to worry about getting a knife in you or shot, then in 5 minutes playing ball with that same person and still be friends...

Getting a whole dollar which got 100 pcs of penny candy at the Ben Franklin dime store...

Picking up pop bottles off the side of the road to turn in for cash...

A ballistics test consisted of whether or not a Daisy red ryder would put a hole all the way thru a Pepsi can...

A pair of canvas Chuck Taylor All-Stars were the stuff...

Farrah in a swimsuit poster always greeted you to your room with a smile...

And Jeannie ( Barbara Eden ) was smokin hot...

When it was not too violent or politicaly incorrect for Yosimite Sam to knock the hell out of Bugs Bunny...

what's Yours?

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"Transformers...More than meets the eye!
    Transformers...Robots in disguse."

Those were the coolest toys!

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a
    methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''
    I replied: I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for
    weddings and funerals.I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, or told a lie,or brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.
    I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word. I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and
    cockleburs out of dad's fields. I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

4. Hanktheduece

Hanktheduece TS Member

Big Heap, Theres still a few kids like that left. I had a kid show up at our club a few weeks back. 6'7 295 pounds. Wanted to try shooting. After he nearly broke my hand with the handshake I showed him the ropes. After every guestion it was "yes sir and no sir". He shows up nearly every day we are open now. Shoots 22's and 23's pretty consistantly. He will be a senior in high school this fall and has a full ride to play tackle at the University of Tennessee. I invited him to come and shoot with our junior program. It might rub off on some of the other kids.
    Duece

5. vanman

vanman TS Member

I like this OT

Sounds like a few of us are close in age----except recurvyarcher, just a kid still.

Hey Big Heap, mind if I use a little of your concept of a drug habbit in some of my classes? That was pretty good and some of the kids get a kick out of a twist on things.

Van

6. pattycake

pattycake TS Member

playing hide and go seek until it was to dark to find anyone.walking or riding your bike to a friends house not getting a ride from mom or dad.
    Bell bottom jeans that covered your whole foot.
    Never had a key to my parents house until 1983 we always kept the doors unlocked.
    running home after school to watch kimba the white lion and speed racer on t.v.

7. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Playing "Kick the Can", playing ball all day long, sled rideing in the woods, ice skateing in the yard, laying in the ditch watching the stars at night, or the Grand Passage by day, siting on the front poarch in the evening listening to stories told by my Dad and old Tom who lived down the street, I do miss thoes things.......Roger

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Hanging my ball glove on the handlebars and playing ball all day without parents and coaches...just make sure your home in time for supper..bring a friend or two for supper if you like..they were always welcome with their Mother's permission of course..I think you heard much more Yes Sir, No sir, & Thank you's than you hear today. When Dad had time to spend with you it was a special occassion..I think he worked seven days a week to keep everything afloat. Don't remember him ever having less than two jobs at a time. The family transportation for many years was an old panel truck he bought from one of his employers. Had a ball in that old truck! Local double feature + serial for fifteen cents on Sat. afternoon. Teachers that demanded you learn times tables and that you spelled words correctly. But, I also remember her putting my shotgun in her locker for the day so I could hunt my way back home after school. A pocket knife was a tool and every boy over the age of seven had one in his pocket. To this day, I still have one in my pocket. Ah, memories!

Big Jack

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I remember my dad taking me fishing and learning patience by untangling the line in my bait casting reel.

I remember when the Mitchell 300 spinning reel came out and how it turned the fishing world on its ear with its ease of use and clear, mono-filament line.

I remember riding my bicycle everywhere without fear of being abducted or hurt.

I remember the first color televisions and seeing green grass in a televised baseball game.

I remember the first rabbit I killed with a Marlin 81DL .22 bolt action. I shot the rabbit on the run at about 50 yards with a single shot.

I remember television news with professional newscasters who only reported the news without putting a spin on it.

I remember living without air conditioning and drinking tap water or water out of a hose. Kool Aid was a Sunday treat

I remember a nation at peace and when people respected one another. Growing up in the 1950’s was wonderful.

10. JRW

JRW Member

Myself and friends use to shoot BB guns at 12ga shells primer end. We did this through garage window with shell propted up in back yard. (only when dads were at work) Walking down the street with shotguns and dog to go hunting at end of street.
    Being drug to the farm in the summer to bale hay,mom figured it would keep me out of trouble. It was a thrill when I got to drive tractor around barn yard. Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end. Jerry

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

ok, so you guys are older than me, but I bet you would be surprised to know that, because I spent a lot of time with my great grandma, I also remember:

Learning to do the Charleston.

Churning butter with a churn.

Making lye soap.

Washing clothes on a scrub board.

A wringer washer that my grandma gave to my mom (my sister got her hand caught in it).

I learned a lot from them my great grandma and my grandma, and am still learning from my grand dad.

12. atashooter

atashooter Member

Curvy, feel good you have us on youth... It justs means we are gonna die sooner than you !! hahahaha

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Big Heap,

I figure it was a lot better than any of us thought it was at the time ... Thanks for the memorys, man do I miss them and the people who cared enough to make us what we are today and instill the values many of us still live by ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. bkms

bkms Member

5 cent coke machine at grandmas work, playing jumpjacks, pick up sticks, setting up army men and equipment and pretending to do battle,watching girls hula hoop and jumprope, riding the original goodyear blimp in middleton, rhode island , walking to school, getting paddled for acting up at school, saying yes sir and no mam, respecting everyone, respecting others belongings, going to church, winchester model 12 pump (ivory) with cutts compensator that was the last one in the factory in ct that dad bought,JFk being shot, watching dad sail off on another ship cruise for the USN, Dad would come home after a long cruise and if we were gone, i could smell the cig smoke when i walked in the door and would run to dad, visiting grandma/pa, fishing with dad catching black bass and striped bass out of newport,R.I., pinball machines, mickey mantle, joe namath and of course Carl the YAZ. Learning to shoot skeet and helping dad run the skeet range in sasebo japan, dad bought me a browning superposed three barrel set but it kicked me so hard so i started shooting 1100's. Buying my first over/under, cheap model 96, shot good ,but had some kick to it.........
    just a few memories that i wont forget

15. bkms

bkms Member

5 cent coke machine at grandmas work, playing jumpjacks, pick up sticks, setting up army men and equipment and pretending to do battle,watching girls hula hoop and jumprope, riding the original goodyear blimp in middleton, rhode island , walking to school, getting paddled for acting up at school, saying yes sir and no mam, respecting everyone, respecting others belongings, going to church, winchester model 12 pump (ivory) with cutts compensator that was the last one in the factory in ct that dad bought,JFk being shot, watching dad sail off on another ship cruise for the USN, Dad would come home after a long cruise and if we were gone, i could smell the cig smoke when i walked in the door and would run to dad, visiting grandma/pa, fishing with dad catching black bass and striped bass out of newport,R.I., pinball machines, mickey mantle, joe namath and of course Carl the YAZ. Learning to shoot skeet and helping dad run the skeet range in sasebo japan, dad bought me a browning superposed three barrel set but it kicked me so hard so i started shooting 1100's. Buying my first over/under, cheap model 96, shot good ,but had some kick to it.........
    just a few memories that i wont forget

16. pattycake

pattycake TS Member

Town club pop(save the bottle to return for more),home made waffles,breakfest,lunch,and dinner at the table with the family. Roller skating every Friday and Saturday night.Going to the dollar show every Tuesday night. Andy Gibb and the bee gees,the bay city rollers,J Giles,The Rockets,E.L.O. Just a few more memories!

17. vanman

vanman TS Member

Some of the guns my Father and Grandpa had when I was a kid. The octigon barrel. The 303 my Grandpa brought back from the war was the first large bore rifle I shot. Dove, Quail and Turkey all around. Spending the summers with Grandpa on his boat-house at Grand Lake. My first very own gun, a bolt action single shot 410. recurvy you mention churning butter, I used to "shake butter". We got whole milk from my Aunt (Saginaw Mo.) in one gallon jars, wait until the cream came to the top and pulled it off, put the cream into a mason jar and all the kids took turns shaken. The best was sweat cream over a cobbler and homemade ice cream. Moved to Diamond Mo. and fire took it all but the memories.

vanman

18. porky

porky TS Member

I remember the family get together that we had on Sundays.On Holidays,people would come from NYC,Conn,Long Island,NY State.On Thanksgiving there was the annual deer hunt.All of us kids were the pushers.We could spread a line of watchers out for a mile it seemed because there were so many of us.I remember the turkey dinner and the tables with folks jammed in.There were tables in the summer kitchen,winter kitchen,the kitchen itself,the dining room and living room.Seemed to be about50 or 60 people at the farm to celebrate the holiday and to enjoy each other's company.I can still remember all the food that was there.People used to enjoy each other.Now we just don't have time because we have allocated out everywhere.They were really great times.

19. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

My dog, Buster, riding on my tricycle with me. Fanner pistols,my first Daisy pump (wooden stock)(kill a full-grown chicken deader than a door nail)Nesbit grape pop,milking 14 cows by hand before getting on the bus for school,getting to carry a single shot 410 for the fist time while hunting with dad and a friend of his(no shells)Captain Kangaroo,Mr. Green Jeans,Howdy Doody, Listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio. Burning cobs for heat, Putting chains on the car so we could get out of the driveway during the winter or after a rain. Sneaking over White Rock creek bank to catch a channel cat before mom knew I was gone, getting paddled by dad when mom had to go to the field and get him, because she thought I had drowned, my first gun(Stevens shingle-shot 410--still have it) hedge rows, pheasants,and quail,bass fishing Kansas farm ponds,57 Chevy,making home-made ice cream ,town doctor making house calls,saying yes sir and no mam,going to town on Sat. nights,selling the pop bottles so i could buy BB's (later on ,Rocket shorts for my 22),having to tell dad I lost his colt woodsman while while riding the horse after the cattle that were in the stock field.Winchester paper Super Targets,gotta quit this,Thanks for the memories. Keep them coming.

20. calilori

calilori TS Member

I remember running around the neighborhood with my friends until bedtime and my parents didn't have to worry.

Going rollerskating at the skating rink EVERY Friday night.

Styx and Journey!!!

Playing with my Barbies whose legs didn't bend.

Making cookies in the Easy Bake Oven.

Thanks for the thread. It is too much fun to remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

suddlersvle skeet club 1969