1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: What do you call this type of bolt?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hooked, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooked

Hooked Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a specific kind of bolt, but I don't know what it's called. It is like a regular hex head bolt but at the thread end (i.e. the opposite end of the head), there is a allen head socket. It is used in blind-type applications where you can't get at the head and in order to stop the bolt from spinning while you tighten up the nut, you can hold it in place with an allen key.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

2. Joe Si

Joe Si Member

Are you referring to a "machine screw"? or "cap screw"?

They are commonly used in holding molds for injection molding operations together.

They're also used to hold stocks on to the receivers of Kriegoff's, Perrazi's,
    Alfermann's etc. It gives the user a lot more controled torque in tightening and removing the screw.

Joe

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Brian,

I've never seen a bolt made that way, but I've seen, and used, threaded studs made that away. Your local hardware store usually has a good selection of these.

ss

4. Hooked

Hooked Member

Thanks Joe, but I'm not referring to machine or a cap screw. The allen socket is at the other end of the stud - opposite the head with the head.

SS, you know what I'm talking about, I've seen the studs you're referring to and that's probably the route I will go with if I can't figure out what this type of bolt is called. What I'll do is get one of those studs and then weld a nut in place on one end. This will effectively, give me the type of bolt I described in my original post.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Do they look like this(maybe not the pretty colors as these)but the same type design.

They are socket cap screws you would be likely to find them in your adjustable comb hardware. They can be purchased a t hardware store almost every where.

Bob Lawless
    [​IMG]

If these are not the ones click on the web URL above and see if you can see what you want

Bob Lawless

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It's used in the aircraft industry.. I've seen many of those bolts in titanium.. on E-bay..

7. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I don't think you will find the type you describe in big box stores or Ace hardware type stores.

You seem to be describing a bolt that has the socket head recess is in the end of the bolt where the nut would normally go.

8. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

They are socket head cap screws. Our handyman hardware store has them in stock also in stainless. They are a part of the Ace hardware chain. They also have them at Loews,and Home Depot. Hope this helps George

9. Hooked

Hooked Member

Nope, not a socket head cap screw. OldRemFan described it better and more succinctly than I did. It is a bolt that has a regular bolt head and a recess at the opposite end that takes an allen key.

Thanks again everybody for your help and efforts.

Brian

10. Mapper

Mapper Member

Sounds like you may have to go to a fastner type company. That probably will entail a trip to the nearest city. There are a couple of them here in Kalamazoo.

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Honda Element sway bar links use them.

12. Hooked

Hooked Member

Remstar, hahah, that's where I saw the bolt originally - on the sway bar endlinks on my Honda Civic.

BFD, thanks for the link. Those hi-lok fasteners look like they will do the trick although they seem a lot more sophisticated than what I'm looking for, but at least I know have a source.

I tried the local Fastenal outlet, but they didn't have what I was looking for either. Worst case, I will just get one of those exhaust manifold studs that have a recessed allen head and thread a nut onto one end and then just weld it into place.

Regards,

Brian

13. Shooter100

Shooter100 TS Member

Brian

Check this web site. You may find something here you are looking for or can make work. Sounds like a long set screw with a nut on it that you want.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=49kpu9

Harry

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Brian,

Contact Butch Novak (MUZZLEBLAST) he's a fastener god and a great guy... just ask him, he'll tell ya!

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.