1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: WHAT DO I NEED FOR LAPTOP WIRELESS WEB CONNEC

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gdbabin, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I have a DELL Latitude 830 and I want to set it up for wireless web connectivity. What do I need hardware, application, and service wise to get it done?

I'd like to have it ready before I leave for Sparta tomorrow if possible. Experts please advise.

Thanks,

Guy Babin

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Jackie,

The device manager says I have a Dell Wireless 1490 Dual Band WLAN Mini-card. If I understand you correctly, all I have to do is be within a wireless service hot spot and it should connect without any configuring?

Thanks,

Guy

3. tuckpa

tuckpa TS Member

Save yourself time and security.Go to your local Verizon store and get an air card.They even have the ones that plug right into the usb port,so you can use it on any computer.They have by far the best coast to coast coverage. you'll be amazed at how fast they are too.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'd suggest pulling into a local Wendy's or such, and trying it out first.

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Understood all. I do hesitate to give Verizon more bucks than I am already and won't need it everyday.

Very helpfull, thanks,

Guy B.

6. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Verizon works great. You almost have to be in the main bldg to use your wireless. Glenn

7. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

With a new dell E 6400 we can log in from the North Loop campgrounds. It's a good mile to the CEB. I use a Ver. MiFi

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

So the difference is with Verizon you are riding their sophisticated nation wide wireless telephone network with a subscription fee.

If not on Verizon (or other wireless provider) you are at the mercy of the quality and your physical displacement from a free to use local wireless server.

Is that an almost correct way to state the difference?

Guy B.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Pretty much... and as you know, it's $60 a month to verizon on a year or two contract to use it....

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I had a renter that had wireless and I tried to get on her service but couldn't. Did some research and because of the walls I have all brick 2 feet thick the signal would not go through them.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Careful about the Wireless plans from providers like Verizon. They usually have limits on how much bandwidth you can use in a month and charge through the "nose" if you go over.

The internal dual band WiFi should do well for you if there is access. You may have to turn the laptop from one side or the other, since the antennas are usually around the display. Sort of like the "rabbit ear" effect from years gone by.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.