1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/Western writers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ajax, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Now that L'amour is long gone. Who are your recommendations as good Western writers?

Thanks,

Ajax

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

McMurty, Lonesome Dove, or anything he has written. The finest Western Novel ever written was Lonesome Dove. L'Amour and Grey are hackers compared to McMurty

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Edward Abbey. Desert solitaire is one of the best books I've ever read.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave, I'll look a couple of those up. Ever get all the fires out on the East Side? I waited until Thursday to come back from Yakima and we had smoke and fires all the way home over White Pass.

I've read Lonesome Dove and thought it was one of the best books I had ever read. Tried a couple others of his and did not think they were at the level of Lonesome Dove, but still thought they were pretty good.

Ajax

5. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

McMurtry, Elmore Leonard,Terry Johnston. Three of my favorites.

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Mel Brooks (Blazing Saddles)

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe, I'll look that one up also.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. Some I was familiar with but some are new to me.

Ajax

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The Big Sky. A.B.Guthrie Jr. author. Jeff

9. Wyoharris

Wyoharris TS Member

Im an Elmer Kelton fan. CJ Box has some good books also. A bit fantastic at times, but fun to read.

10. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

The Big Lonely by Lou Cameron (if you can find one)is a good book. It came out in April 1978.

11. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Check out anything by Elmer Kelton. He wrote,writes about the West (mainly west Texas) as it was changing in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Great stories, a lot of them based on historical events.

HBT

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Who wrote "Cowboys and Aliens"?

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I beg to differ. The finest western novel from the standpoint of command of the English language is Owen Wister's "The Virginian".<br>
    http://www.amazon.com/Virginian-Horseman-Plains-Signet-Classics/dp/0451531574/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352888187&sr=1-3&keywords=the+virginian

Another interesting western book is "The Cherokee Strip" by Marquis James. This is about the section of Oklahoma called the Cherokee Strip which was the biggest land rush in American history. This story is seen through the eyes of a boy who grew up there.<br>
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Cherokee-Strip-Oklahoma-Boyhood/dp/0806135735

If you want something more historic for old west tales, but still in storybook form, get a copy of Owyhee Trails. This is about the almost desolate O-I-N country, where Oregon, Idaho and Nevada meet. And the book will explain where the name Owyhee came from (hint - it's not an indian name).<br>
    http://www.amazon.com/Owyhee-Trails-Wests-Forgotten-Corner/dp/0870042815/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352888383&sr=1-1&keywords=owyhee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.