1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT WEST POINT GRADS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by break25, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. break25

break25 TS Member

There must be a TS member who is a West Point Graduate who can answer USMA
    History questions. Since the Academy was established, how many years must a cadet attend before graduation? At present it is 4? If a cadet fails a subject, is he dropped or does stay in that year?

Watched John Wayne in Rio Grande and this question was brought to mind.

The USMA graduates have always done a great service to their Country and the academy

DUTY HONOR COUNTRY

CHAZZ

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Four years. If you fail a subject in your final year you go to summer school. You could also be required to do an extra semester to make up any deficiencies. HMB

3. break25

break25 TS Member

Thanks, How about the early years in the days Of Bendict Arnold, civil war etc?

I could not find any information on Google.

Chazz

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

" My last conscious thoughts will be the Corps,and the Corps, and the Corps!".........know who said that? Thats right, the same guy that got relieved by Truman!

5. break25

break25 TS Member

At last count, 274 hits and NOBODY knows the answers?

.WHAT HAPPENED TO TS USMA GRADUATES?

6. GrumpyGramps

GrumpyGramps TS Member

I am not a USMA Grad, but my son did graduate from West Point so I did pick up some insights into USMA. The normal number of years is four, but it is not automatic that a cadet is let go due to academic deficiencies. One of my son's roommates took five years to graduate. Getting accepted to West Point means that cadets have to have excellent academic potential, so the approach is taken to provide as much academic help as necessary. Remember that West Point is very structured so there is little choice in not putting in the effort and time needed to succeed academically (no parties or other extracurricular activities to interfere). Some cadets do leave because of academics, but I think most of them leave by choice rather than being dismissed. The academy puts quite an investment into each cadet, so failure is not taken lightly. My son said there was a saying that a West Point education was worth $250,000 shoved up your posterior a nickel at a time.

I think that some of the early classes at West Point may have been graduated in only two years, and during WWI and WWII there were some classes that were graduated early in three years, but I think the four class system has been standard for most of the history of West Point.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The program is a 4 year program with training in the summer and classes on Saturday. Only rarely have classes graduated in less than 4 years.

Some Sundays during the academic year, are set aside now for military training.

Days typically start about 5 in the morning and for many cadets go until early into the next morning.

Fifty years ago if you failed a subject- you were essentially out with few exceptions--- now there are a lot more exceptions but it is not automatic that you get to stay if you fail one class. You could even fail more than one class and get to stay. Everything situation is evaluated case by case.

They used to grade most classes on a bell shaped curve- which meant that people always failed. That is no longer the case.

It’s a tough program. You are admitted not only on academics but on a whole person concept. The young men and women that attend now already know where they will be going after graduation. They are truly great Americans.

8. break25

break25 TS Member

GN7777777 & Grumpy Gramps

Thanks. I think you both have answered all my questions.

CHAZZ

9. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Ducks,

Actually Charles Mason graduated 1st in the Class of 1829 with R.E. Lee second.

Van

10. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

MR...the final historical opinion on MacArthur is still to be decided. For your consideration...

There is a new book "The Coldest Winter" by David Habersham (sp?)just out regarding the (forgotten) Korean war. Getting great reviews.

I previously thought Doug walked on water. Now, not so much. The more I read there about Doug, the less impressed I, and others, become with him. Book covers the fighting in both Korea, China, Russia and Washington.

BTW, while Mac was at the Point, his (widowed) mother stayed all four years nearby in a rented hotel room just off the post. Keeping track of him.

11. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

MacAuthur was a legend in his own mind. Yes, he was not bad as a CG during WWII but no one has found the hard copy of the order from the President telling him to leave the Phillipines but leave he did. We cannot forget the "I shall return" speech which he did return but how many takes did it take to get that final version of him wading ashore. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions in the Phillipines. Following is the citation:
    MacARTHUR, DOUGLAS

Rank and organization: General, U.S. Army, commanding U.S. Army Forces in the Far East. Place and date: Bataan Peninsula, Philippine Islands. Entered service at: Ashland, Wis. Birth: Little Rock, Ark. G.O. No.: 16, 1 April 1942. Citation: For conspicuous leadership in preparing the Philippine Islands to resist conquest, for gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against invading Japanese forces, and for the heroic conduct of defensive and offensive operations on the Bataan Peninsula. He mobilized, trained, and led an army which has received world acclaim for its gallant defense against a tremendous superiority of enemy forces in men and arms. His utter disregard of personal danger under heavy fire and aerial bombardment, his calm judgment in each crisis, inspired his troops, galvanized the spirit of resistance of the Filipino people, and confirmed the faith of the American people in their Armed Forces.

Does it really qualify for the Medal? Did he beyond the "call of duty", don't think so but he got it anyway.

Van

12. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Is it still a FIVE year active duty commitment after graduation/commissioning?

I almost went to USMA in 1984. I got as far as being nominated but not appointed. (I was one of five candidates nominated from CT in 1983 and they took two of the five) So instead, I did the 4-year Army ROTC program back when you could do 2 yrs non-contracted and 2 yrs contracted and finished with a recommendation for regular army, active duty commission in 1988.

I did get my Class-A uniform for commissioning from West Point, however and I understand they still have an active trap club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.