1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Well, it looks like I may have to shoot him!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

I've got this woodpecker that keeps banging away at my house. I've repainted and filled everything and I can't understand why he keeps coming back. I see no signs what so ever of insect infestation, and I can't figure him out. Maybe there's something wrong with him, I don't know, but I didn't want to have to consider this.

Any ideas??

Tron

2. Tron

Yeah, you aint kidding Jerry. It sounds like a machine gun and he's right on time every morning at 7:00 am. I hate him, but I don't want to shoot him if there's a simple solution.

3. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Had the same problem. Find the spot where he works the most and hand a suet feeder. He will stop hitting your house!

4. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I had the same problem several years ago. Ended up having to shoot him. He was tearin the house to pieces. I would try to sneak up on him with the pellet gun, but he would have none of that. So, one morning I lined him up with the Win. 42, shot thru some apple tree branches to dissapate the shot, because he was near a window.
    It was like military manuevers...I had to crawl on the ground to sneak up on the bugger. But that was the end of that, no damage to the house either.
    Good luck, puablo

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

What does animal control say. Maybe they can help and you won't have to kill him.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

what does a woodpecker trap look like? Boggles the mind.

HM

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Just shoot the little sob and be done with it.

edit: It's not like he's the last woodpecker on the planet.

Jim

8. DONNE

DONNE Member

Believe it or not, he's advertising for a girl friend. When he finds one , it should stop ............... maybe !

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

He's trying to drum up a date. Aluminum gutter makes a sound that really carries (as you know). He's hoping the ladies will hear it. Better get out the pellet gun or wait 'til after mating season.

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Donne has it right. He's tryiong to find a mate and your house makes a good sounding board.

ec90t

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Be careful not to read too much into your situation there Tron, although it is getting pretty funny.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tron,
    Try shooting the offending bird with a sling shot with the rubber pelts and after a few of those he should leave.
    Bruce

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Had the same thing a few years ago. Noisy!

He eventually left. Didn't last too long. Days, not weeks.

14. Tron

Kitty is also running off at the mouth and saying that I should just shoot him. I told him that if he was any self respecting Cat, that I wouldn't even be in this prediciment....that shut him up.

Tron

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Do you have these conversations with your cat often, Joe?

16. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

Tron, If you shoot him, don't mention it to anyone. You might end up on the next COPS series being hauled off in cuffs by the animal control police.
    Snookassassin, AKA Clif Adams

17. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Animal Control advised me that woodies are protected birds and that they couldn't shoot them. That being said, he advised me that the birds do this to make noise and establish a territory and that if it really bothered me, the best thing I could do was shoot them. (Oh, they also said that if I would swear an affidavit that the birds were damaging property, they could legally be shot by AC)

Morgan

18. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

What kind of wood pecker is it? You may be in a difficult situation if he's one of those rare types.

19. 25100

25100 TS Member

To get rid of the woodpecker just hang a shiny ribbon, red one side and silver on the other. Or just red or silver 1/2 or 3/4 inches, christmas or birthday ribbon they think that it is a fire and will stay away. I have used this for 6 years. It should be about 3 to 4 feet long and blow in the wind..Try it you will like it..

20. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Tron - you are lucky it is a local woopecker

A few years ago we had a woodpecker fly all the way from Washington state to here in Central Arkansas

Darn thing started pecking on a tree so hard that he knocked the top out of a tree and it fell on our house. It was like dynamite had exploded in the top of the tree

I went outside and there he laid - all covered in dust and debris

And I said "Man - that was something !"

And he said "Yeah, it's amazing how hard me pecker gets when I get away from home"

Never will forget it

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.