1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Watch Winder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by parrothead, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parrothead

parrothead Member

I know this is way off topic but thought someone might be able to offer some advice. I have a couple of automatic watches that never get much wear time because they never have the correct time! So I thought a winder might be a good idea. I have looked on ebay and the internet and there seems to be quite a range in price and promises. Can anyone out there give me some information or steer me in the right direction? brand? battery/electric? etc. Any info will be greatly appreciated. -Dan

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Stay away from any dealings with Nexten. Fred

3. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

A winder is not going to do a thing about the watch not keeping good time. The watch simply needs to be adjusted. Any good jeweler who works on watches can make the adjustment. A winder simply allows the watch to sit and not completely unwind when you are not using/wearing it. Any winder serves this simple purpose. If you're going to buy one, just get one that will last.

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Be cafeful of the cheap ones, some only rotate in one direction. Not all watches wind in the same direction. If all your watches are the same brand the one above should work, I've had mine for about 9 months. The better ones have an automatic reverse so that they will turn in both directions.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I bought a cheap one, looked nice but didn't wind the watches very well and stopped working. Like Big Dave said, get a good one that changes direction.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bridgetofar, I'm sure he means he doesn't wear them because the times wrong because they are not wound!!! That's why my Omega's and Longines sit in the gun vault. They don't tell the correct time!!

Jim

7. Barry

Barry Member

Funny you should mention this as I just bought another one. I have a Rolex sub-mariner and an Omega Seamaster. I use winders on both of them and they do indeed keep better time when kept running all the time.

I bought this one http://www.thewatchprince.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2157/.f?sc=2&category=2476

and am very happy w/ it and the company that sells it. I also bought the Sharper Image watch winder and it is very good. The Sharper Image models have by far the best designed "watch holder".

Both of these can be used on AC or batteries which is very important to me as I often store them in my gun safe. Most of the more expensive German models are AC only. Both models keep both watches well wound at the lowest settings.

If you want to spend more than $150 check Costco on line and Walmart. Both carry the German models and offer a liberal return policy.

8. parrothead

parrothead Member

Gentlemen, thanks for all your imput and advice I am truly getting an education on watch winders! I like the idea of the battery option so that it could go in a safe if needed. The adjustable or programable rotations seems like a good idea as well. decisions...decisions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.