1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Walther PPK or PPKS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GoDawgs, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Any past or current owners of the Walther PPK or PPKS that can give me their opinion of this handgun? I've never shot one but I handled one in the store the other day for the first time and it fit my hand nicely. I'm just not familiar with it mechanically or from a reliability standpoint. Basically, I'm in the market for a very small carry gun for the summer.

2. BT99

BT99 Member

I carried a PPKS for a number years for "soft Clothes" duty. I qualified twice a year for a number of years. Never had a malfunction, and it shoots at the point of aim. Several times scored 100% on the qualification course.
    If it was good enough for James Bond, then its good enough for me. Since retirement, I still stick it in my pocket when going out.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I carry an older model in .32 it has the fuhrers signature all over it. I also bought my daughter, who is in the Air Force, a stainless model in 380 and neither of us had any problems with misfires, stovepipes, or other problems. The double action is nice. Bulge.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've had several. The .380 is a borderline defense cartridge, as far as I'm concerned. The original "Walthers" were pretty good. There have been some variations in manufacture that may or may not be an advantage, depending on your opinions. I'd rather look for something like the Kel-Tec PF-9. It's a full 9MM, lightweight, compact, reliable, and inexpensive.

5. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Thanks for the comments Guys. Do you guys know what the actual difference is between the PPK and PPKS? I can't seem to figure that out from their website.

Seems that the PPKS has a slightly longer barrel but I figured there must be more to the story.......

6. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

PPKS has a better beavertail. The PPK has been known to leave bloody tracks on the back of larger hands due to the slide-bite. If you got big meaty hands, I'd go with the PPKS. The PPKS is SLIGHTLY taller due to having to meet arbitrary U.S. Govt. regs pertaining to importation of firearms. Both guns are nice and small, but heavy for their size compared to some of the modern (tupperware) weapons. This can be good thing, better for recoil absorption, worse for pocket/purse carry.

Jeff

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The originals were the PP (Polizei-Pistole), and the smaller PPK (Polizei-Pistole-Kriminal, what we'd call a "Detective's Special"). The former was typically for belt holster carry by uniformed police. The latter was generally for plainclothes officers.

The PP has a backstrap on the lower frame, with grips on both sides. The PPK also has two grips, but they wrap around the back and cover the mainspring, since there is no backstrap. The grip frame is also shorter and it holds fewer rounds in its magazine.

The 1968 Gun Control Act championed by Charleton Heston declared the Walther PPK a "cheap, inaccurate Saturday Night Special", which is about as far from the truth as you can possibly get. It was thus banned from importation.

The larger Walther PP had enough points to be able to be imported.

To get around the ban, Walther took the PP frame, and replaced the PP slide with the shorter PPK slide. They then called this gun the PPK/S (PPK/Special). This gave a shorter barrel and slide, but the longer grip frame to get around the import ban.

Note that the PPK has been made in the USA by Interarms, and then by S&W. Domestic made guns are not subject to the import ban, though there have been attempts in congress to pass bans stating that if a gun is banned from import it cannot be made here. (This would allow a bureaucrat to ban guns at the stroke of a pen, and must be guarded against.)

BTW, here's my Walther PPK/L. It's an aluminum frame version in 22 LR, made in 1964. Utterly reliable and very accurate.

[​IMG]

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Brian--You make me envious. Seems like every gun discussed here you have a nice example of. Once again you didn't disappoint. Nice looking old .22 Walther. You must have quite the collection.

9. Brian in Oregon

In my previous life (before children) I had lots of disposable income. Was buying a couple of guns a month. Had an open account at a local gunshop. Fill out the 4473 and take the gun, see ya next paycheck.

Now I'm older with responsibilities. And less money. What a pain. But I wouldn't trade it for the world.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

A couple a month? What happened to one gun a month? Joking!! LOL

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

PPK/S is a PP with PPK upper.

If you never shot a PPK, I suggest you try it first. It's one of the most uncomfortable pistol I've ever fired.

James Bond is "James Bond". He can do a lot of things we can't. His one shot stopping power is non-matchable even with his original .25 ACP Beretta.

12. Brian in Oregon

I never had any problem shooting a 32 or 380 PPK. But then I also used to pack a 3" Model 29.

13. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I was going to purchase a ppk/s a couple of years ago. The salesman suggested I look at the then new PPS in 9mm. The guns have the same overall dimensions but the pps is actually a little thinner. I ended up getting a pps in 40 S&W. It weighs a couple of ounces more but shoots really well and is super accurate for a small pocket pistol. No malfunctions in two years.6+1 40 is plenty of power. I love it.

14. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Second for the PPS,I've carried both.

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Yes, PPS is the best. If you compare PPS with PPK, it's hard to see any reason to buy a PPK. It's lighter and thinner than PPK, but lot more effective than PPK.

16. Loyac

Loyac Member

If you're stuck on the .380, take a good look at the SIG 232. As good in quality and reliability as the PPK/S, but with a more comfortable grip. John

17. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I hated shooting the PPK. I left bleeding every time I shot it. On the other hand, my Sig P230 is a joy to shoot and never any bite. I HIGH recommend checking out the Sig.

18. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Well, guys, thanks for all the comments. I did end up going with a Sig. Yesterday, I bought a P238 (with the Sig laser). Should be a great carry piece for summer clothing. I still might get the PPK/S just because they look like a neat gun (can't have too many, right).

19. dirk

dirk Member

I have owned and carried most every small gun as a back-up and concealed off duty. the Walthers did not equal the functional reliability that I needed. I recently purchased a Ruger LPC 380 and a LP 9mm. The 380 is small and all dbl action. With over 200 rounds and no malfunctions I have settled on that one as a warm weather carry. The LC 9 is slightly larger and also all dbl action. Again, over 200 rounds without a malfunction. I carry the larger pistols in colder weather, including a Kahr 9mm and a Glock #36 45 cal. Each of these guns were fired over 200 rounds with various types of ammo BEFORE I considered carrying them.

20. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I used to carry a .380 until I discovered the Kahr CW-40. It is a single stack 7 shot. It is the same size (fits in the same holster) as my Bersa Thunder .380 which is about the same size as a Walther PPK.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.