1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Wal-Mart's decline

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Could not happen to a nicer group of people. I, for one, can live without them. Yes some items are less expensive, shells for instance, but I am sick of having to settle or what they have instead of what I really want, Less than intellegent clerks, don't give a crap attitude, Clothing sizes that fit only "average" size people (look for an x-small t-shirt or even a small for that matter). And I have to settle for less than acceptable because they have run the small retailers out of business--not always because of price either--if you really give your local guy a chance, he will sometimes beat the price or get close and he GIVES A RIP about your business.
    R.I.P. oh mighty one!

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

I hate to see that.

I think I am going to go shopping at Wal-Mart tonight and purchase all I can and because of there low prices I will be able to purchase more than I could at other stores and since I can get all I want at one stop it will also help me save time and money from having to drive all over town just to get this and that.

Yep ... I'm going to help get Wal-Mart back in running!

3. sam952

sam952 TS Member

I have not seen one person chained to a register, forced to work there, forced to shop there or forced to do anything there.
    I have puchased bookoo(LOTS)of Fed 1oz 8's there for 3.88 and will continue to do so (if they stay at that price a while). Yes it is a pain to deal with them because of personnel turnovers.
    Wal mart is a prime example of the free enterprise system working. Think of it, an Older man ( Sam Walton, deceased) decides to have everything in one place for 60% of the people at reasonable prices. Heck of an idea I think and apparently so does about 60 to 65% of the US population.

Do I enjoy going in there? NO. Do I have to go in there? NO. Are they convienant? Yes. Is there price the lowest always? NO.

BTW,
    Sam Walton was an avid Quail Hunter, it is said that is the reason he lived in the part of Arkansas that boardered three other states was so he could go from one to the other easly when the Quail season opened in each.

4. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

For everything there is a season.

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

No bashing here, I agree with you. If I remember correctly Walmart used to advertise "Made In America" now you would be lucky to find one item there with that label. I've been in a couple of them and fortunately there isn't anything there that I need.

Bill

6. laura!

laura! Member

Jerry, don't know much about Sam Walton, but I agree with the made for Walmart comment. It is actually a good barometer for quality. Once a manufacturer starts selling to Walmart their quality usually goes down in all their products. and, yes, the devil made them do it!

7. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

Funny how you always get the Wal-Mart bashers. Wal-Mart this Wal-mart that. But what it comes down to is the ones that are always mad at them are the ones who have not figured out how to make any money from them. Or have had there ass fired from the company for being a fence post that could not show up for work. Yet though they will never admit are the first ones there when there is a sale trying to get someting for nothing. Buying the cheap shells and the kids school stuff. And I bet Ya anything if Wal-mart was sellins AA's at $1.96 a box ole skeet2day would be asshole's and elbows down there to get them. If not he would send his wife. Or perhaps he would by them from his good ole boy gunshop for $4.50 a box. Course the good ole boy gun shop knows a good deal and buys all he can at $1.96 a box. And as he is leaving the store he trips over the small business man rag head buying up the tobacco at the Wal-mart price to sell in his store. Along with soda and everything else. They all scream MADE IN AMERICA unless it is my high dollar trap or skeet gun. Then they dont scream as loud. Point I guess should know what you are bashing before you bash it. Thanks,Tim

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Tell me its not so! Wally World is like Disneyland! An American tradition.......screw the consumer and make 'em think they're getting a good deal at a cheaper price! What we gonna do without Wally World?

9. ken a

ken a Member

Dream on Walmart haters!!! However you cut it, the businesses that survive are usualy service oriented and have good products not carried by Walmart.

10. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Amazing how dense some of the WM haters are...WM has done more for the economy of this country than probably any corporation in terms of size: hundreds of thousands of jobs, and YES you union lovers, they have medical/dental/vision/401k benefits too. Maybe a good reason why there are no unions in WM...as in employees reject the union. Sorry, my bias is showing as I worked with many unions and was disgusted with the corruption. Oh, and skeetie, those so called "independent businesses" that WM ruined...it's called Capitalism. WM has created JOBS with BENEFITS that the little independents did not offer. Go check out your local independent hardware store and let us know how many employees there are and what benefits they have...answer: part time help=no benefits, very few full time positions, and benefits are rare. Last spring when WM opened a store in N. California, there were 3,000 lined up to fill out applications for jobs. Maybe you should find some WM employees and tell them just how bad WM is. Also check out the tens of millions that WM gives out every year to public schools too. Sam Walton paved the way to China? Wrong. You need to stop believing the union mantra of WM bad...union good. Skeetie, WM is no different than any other large corporation that sells China made stuff: Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, Best Buy, Target, hell, every mom/pop store in the US sells China made stuff. I try to avoid buying China stuff, but it's almost impossible. Way too fun to see some of the union leaders I worked with shopping WM...they act like they were spotted walking out of the X-rated video store...lol. Laura!Now don't you be buying those inferior products that WM carries...like: Sony, Nikon, Canon, IBM,Goodyear, Michelin,any of your name brand cosmetics, rx drugs, etc., well you get the point.

11. JH

JH Well-Known Member

I will go to Walmart tonight to buy as many shells as I can get in my truck. They have the lowest prices in town.

Grow-up Union folks........you need to go to SCHOOL and retrain. You need to MOVE where the jobs are.....you need to stop whinning.....most of us have changed occupations several times over; had to get retrained/go to school and moved where the jobs are.....

Don't blame Walmart for your inability to retrain, move and get a better job....this is not about China, it is about your Union Entitlement Mind-Set....go to school, move to where the jobs are and stop whinning!

12. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I have to laugh at the ignorance when it comes to Wal-Mart bashing. I especially love the Mao-Mart moniker. Why not add Lowes, Home Depot, Target, and all the other retailers that sell Chi-com stuff? They are just as guilty.

Home Depot just moved their vendor and CS to India! My company sells to Wal-Mart, Lowes and HD. Of the 3, Wally World pays us on time according to the contract. Home Depot on the other hand, well let's just say Mr. Patel is a little hard to deal with.

Before Wal-Mart started selling AA's for $4.97 a box, the local gun store was charging $7 a box for the same product. Wal-Mart sold guns to thousands of people who otherwise could never have afforded one.

Bass Pro, Gander, Cabela's, Academy, Dick's the list goes on. They all follow the Wal-Mart business plan.

My father in law worked at Wal-Mart for 4 years after retiring. He loved it. This was 10 years ago, but I think they paid him $7-8/hour and he was treated very well.

Wal-Mart is not the social security system. They exist to make a profit. I think the best thing they do is offer jobs to folks who need them, or can't do anything else. Flame on girls!

13. ithaca4e

ithaca4e TS Member

O.K. Let's start from the top. First of all, the Walton family collectively owns more Walmart stock than anyone else. However, I don't believe they own the majority (look at Yahoo Finance). So, at least, by the numbers, the Waltons don't control Walmart; the rest of us do (all the other stockholders). Nearly 40% of Walmart stock in owned by large U.S. mutual fund companies and institutional retirement plans, where the money that you and I have or hope to have to retire on is made. Lastly, the AA shells for sale at Walmart are made in the same U.S. factories by the same U.S. people as those carried by your local mom and pop store. So, when you buy your AA's at Walmart, you're, for the most part, supporting a store owned by the American public selling a product made by Americans. Does Walmart sell merchandise made in other countries? You bet! So does Ford, GM, Sears, Browning, Remington, General Electric, Budweiser and nearly every other "All American" company. If you own a T.V. that's less than 10 years old, you are buying foreign, regardless of the brand. We don't make T.V.'s here anymore. If you think everything you're buying is made in America, you're either asleep or totally brain dead! Like it or not, we live in a global economy and everyday we become closer to living in a globally governed country. We've brought all of this upon ourselves and continue to do it at an increasing rate. What we still do have if the freedom to make choices. Hopefully, we will not lose that freedom soon. If we choose, as a country, to support foreign companies more than our own, we will be the ones responsible for the demise of our economy. I don't see anyone bad mouthing the countries who purchase our goods and services, but maybe most Americans don't know who they are, much less care. In the meantime, keep buying whereever you want while you still can!

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Wal-Mart rocks ... they beat the livin crap outta the local grocery stores and I cant get me a shotgun shells at the local grocery store either ... Wal-Mart ROCKS!!!

15. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

Yea that's right move to were the jobs are , China, apple pickers , factory workers ,steel mills , deep mines ,two dollars a day.Friggin unions ruined everything in this country and now all the really good paying jobs are in China so keep spending a your local Mao Mart and you to will soon get one of these good paying jobs ,and hell you won;t even have to move.

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

I like rice ... so I should fit right in and Wal-Mart has fantastic pricing on rice as well.

17. likes-to-shoot

When wallyworld used to advertise Made In America they named the towns where the product was made. The materials may not have necessarily been 100% made in America but the factory and employees were. To most people that is the key to what Made In America means.

Bill

18. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

walmart is depressing;hardly anyone knows what they are selling and at check out time there will be about foutteen check out stations with only four in operation. i asked the manager why he did not have more checkers and he said they could not pass the dope test (true story).

19. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

I can't figure out why a union member wouldn't like Wall Mart. There are two Wall Mart stores here in town and union labor played a major roll in there construction. My self I don't shop at Wall Mart I still support the small business shops locally.

20. likes-to-shoot

Whiz......the posts I read are union bashers spewing their hatered, or did I miss where union members said they hated walmart?

I too pefer to shop the mom and pop type shops.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.