1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Vote with your checkbook

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by schutzemgud, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Wouldn't it be interesting when we fill out our tax returns to have a selection of box's we could check stating where our individual tax money could be spent.

For instance

A box for health care.

A box for military.

A box for education.

A box for welfare.

When the government processed our returns the money would be diverted to the accounts we want to support. I think this would change the dynamics of today's politics a lot because it is mostly about the "money."

I know it will never happen but what a nice thought. All those liberal money hole's would dry up in short order. What box would you like to see there?

Mike Sudz
  2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Before anyone answers...how many supposedly "Conservative Christian Men" took advantage of Cash For Clunkers?

I know that answer ain't zero...
  3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Buzz-gun ... at least cash for clunkers did get rid of a lot of pro Obama bumper stickers!
  4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Heck buzzy, I bet there was even a few Atheist conservatives who took advantage of cash for clunkers.
  5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998

Who took "advantage" of Cash for Clunkers is a fair question.

I get more personal satisfaction driving my 1994 F-150. Doing so aggravates lib dems that think I should be in a minuscule econobox. My objection is to the very existence of bullsh!t programs like Cssh for Clunkers. However, once they are created, I have no problem with income earning TAXPAYERS participating.

For what it's worth, I draw distinctions. On one hand there are taxpayers who defer or avoid a PORTION of taxes they would otherwise pay by participating in programs such as Cash for Clunkers.

OTOH, there are those individuals who make no meaningful contribution toward funding legimate goverment activities and in many cases contribute NOTHING. To illustrate the point, here's an edited snip from an April 2010 Associated Press article:

'... for nearly half of U.S. households (April 15th a.k.a. tax day) is somebody else's problem.

About 47 percent will pay no federal income taxes at all for 2009. Either their incomes were too low, or they qualified for enough credits, deductions and exemptions to eliminate their liability. That's according to projections by the Tax Policy Center, a Washington research organization.

In recent years, credits for low- and middle-income families have grown so much that a family of four making as much as $50,000 will owe no federal income tax for 2009, as long as there are two children younger than 17, according to a separate analysis by the consulting firm Deloitte Tax.'

I have a problem with nearly half of all households contributing NOTHING.

Here's a few more numbers... In tax year 2008 someone with an adjusted gross income of $67,280 was in the top 25% of income earners. Someone making $50k is well into the upper 50% of income earners. I would humbly submit that people making $50k a year should be paying at least some taxes.

If I were schutzemgud, I'd consider categories like "health care for illegals" and "education for illegals". While we're at it, how about "food, housing, and medical care for physically capable Americans that have - by choice - never worked and never intend to work"?

As a working taxpayer, what exactly do I and others like me, owe any of these slackers??

I want to see meaningful budget cuts to start getting our federal financial house in order. I believe EVERYTHING needs to be on the table. I have no problem cutting benefits for illegals and welfare bums but I include corporate welfare, various bailouts, and the multi-billions paid in ag subsidies. I'm a big supporter of national defense but I wouldn't exempt military expenditures either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.