1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Viet Nam Statistics OT

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe G. NJ, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe G. NJ

Joe G. NJ TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Maybe some of you guys saw this already but there are some interesting stats related to Viet Nam Vets and the WALL.

Viet Nam Veteran Statistics
    A little history most people will never know.

Interesting Veterans Statistics off the Vietnam Memorial Wall

"Carved on these walls is the story of America , of a continuing quest to preserve both Democracy and decency, and to protect a national treasure that we call the American dream." ~President George Bush

SOMETHING to think about - Most of the surviving Parents are now Deceased.

There are 58,267 names now listed on that polished black wall, including those added in 2010.

The names are arranged in the order in which they were taken from us by date and within each date the names are alphabetized. It is hard to believe it is 36 years since the last casualties.

Beginning at the apex on panel 1E and going out to the end of the East wall, appearing to recede into the earth (numbered 70E - May 25, 1968), then resuming at the end of the West wall, as the wall emerges from the earth (numbered 70W - continuing May 25, 1968) and ending with a date in 1975. Thus the war's beginning and end meet. The war is complete, coming full circle, yet broken by the earth that bounds the angle's open side and contained within the earth itself.

The first known casualty was Richard B. Fitzgibbon, of North Weymouth , Mass. Listed by the U.S. Department of Defense as having been killed on June 8, 1956. His name is listed on the Wall with that of his son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Richard B. Fitzgibbon III, who was killed on Sept. 7, 1965.

· There are three sets of fathers and sons on the Wall.

· 39,996 on the Wall were just 22 or younger.

· 8,283 were just 19 years old.

The largest age group, 33,103 were 18 years old.

· 12 soldiers on the Wall were 17 years old.

· 5 soldiers on the Wall were 16 years old.

· One soldier, PFC Dan Bullock was 15 years old.

· 997 soldiers were killed on their first day in Vietnam .

· 1,448 soldiers were killed on their last day in Vietnam .

· 31 sets of brothers are on the Wall.

· Thirty one sets of parents lost two of their sons.

· 54 soldiers on attended Thomas Edison High School in Philadelphia . I wonder why so many from one school.

· 8 Women are on the Wall. Nursing the wounded.

· 244 soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War; 153 of them are on the Wall.

· Beallsville, Ohio with a population of 475 lost 6 of her sons.

· West Virginia had the highest casualty rate per capita in the nation. There are 711 West Virginians on the Wall.

· The Marines of Morenci - They led some of the scrappiest high school football and basketball teams that the little Arizona copper town of Morenci (pop. 5,058) had ever known and cheered. They enjoyed roaring beer busts. In quieter moments, they rode horses along the Coronado Trail, stalked deer in the Apache National Forest . And in the patriotic camaraderie typical of Morenci's mining families, the nine graduates of Morenci High enlisted as a group in the Marine Corps. Their service began on Independence Day, 1966. Only 3 returned home.

· The Buddies of Midvale - LeRoy Tafoya, Jimmy Martinez, Tom Gonzales were all boyhood friends and lived on three consecutive streets in Midvale, Utah on Fifth, Sixth and Seventh avenues. They lived only a few yards apart. They played ball at the adjacent sandlot ball field. And they all went to Vietnam . In a span of 16 dark days in late 1967, all three would be killed. LeRoy was killed on Wednesday, Nov. 22, the fourth anniversary of John F. Kennedy’s assassination. Jimmy died less than 24 hours later on Thanksgiving Day. Tom was shot dead assaulting the enemy on Dec. 7, Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

· The most casualty deaths for a single day was on January 31, 1968 ~ 245 deaths.

· The most casualty deaths for a single month was May 1968 - 2,415 casualties were incurred.

For most Americans who read this they will only see the numbers that the Vietnam War created. To those of us who survived the war, and to the families of those who did not, we see the faces, we feel the pain that these numbers created. We are, until we too pass away, haunted with these numbers, because they were our friends, fathers, husbands, wives, sons and daughters. There are no noble wars, just noble warriors.

Please pass this on to those who served during this time, and those who DO Care.
  2. rumseyplum

rumseyplum TS Member

Feb 3, 2007
    God bless them...Thank God for them...Bob F. 716th MP...In country Jan. 18, 1967...Jan 18, 1968...
  3. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Feb 26, 2009
    God bless them our country and the rest of us.
    Big Red One 67-68

4. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Heartbreaking statistics - so many young kids. Even after all this time and 23 years on active duty (1966-1989) I am still so bitter over it. So, I will say God bless everyone of those names and the families who suffered through it all; and God damn the ones who sent them there.

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    One of those names is listed above.
  6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    interesting dates. We forget it started shortly after the Korean War....
  7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I turned 19 in Vietnam. USMC 2/1 65-66. Some of my friends are on the wall.
  8. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Joe G. NJ.......Thanks for that information.

John G.
    US Army 1966-1968
  9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    How did the 15, 16 and 17yr old kids get there? I thought it was minimum age 18? I know my Grandpa joined the Navy in WWII at age 16 but that was with the signatures of his parents. Did they allow that in Vietnam? Just simply curious.

God bless all who served to preserve our freedom. My father was US Air Force Vietnam vet. Thank the good Lord that my father came home alive and in one piece.
  10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Very, very sad statistics and a human tragedy behind each one. Now we buy clothing and other things which are labeled "Made in Viet Nam"! I don't know which is sadder.
  11. Ron Gillatt

Ron Gillatt Member

Oct 7, 2011
    A very humbling list of people who died in Viet Nam, does the Memorial include people who remain unaccounted for?

Ron Gillatt
    Ex. Brit now Canadian in Canada
  12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    In the Cabana
    You could enlist when you were 17 with your parents signature

I enlisted when I was 17, I forgot to pay attention to the nightly news about the war going on but my recruiter assured me I would never get sent to Viet Nam

He was right I got sent to Thailand, was a tail gunner on a Buff, we flew nightly out of Utapao, to bomb Viet Nam, my plane got shot down on Dec 22 1972, during Linebacker II, when we were bombing the shit out of Hanoi, we made it to the gulf of Siam then all the crew except the AC and I punched out, I blew the explosive bolts on my pod, but when we got hit it messed something up and the pod didn't fall off

The pisser of it was I think we had them beat after that but the bleed hearts made us stop bombing

I've got some friends on the wall too
  13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Do similar stats exist for Korean War vets?

Feb 26, 2010
    1970-1971 US ARMY I was a draftee and did not RUN ! Today I am a much better person for it, I rarely mention it for no other reason than most people do not understand ! I say to all the rest of you that posted here WELCOME HOME BROTHERS !!! We will never forget !
  15. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    They have a mobile wall that came to Lejune when I was there and it was a real tear jerker and eye opener. Touched me so much that I went to see the real one several times. God bless all the people who are on the wall and the ones who aren't. Thank you
  16. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Las vegas
    God Bless them.! 39th Engr. Battalion (Combat) 64-66
  17. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

Nov 15, 2009
    NW PA
    The Wall is almost a must see for any American. RK Miller Co C 2/34th Armor 25th Inf Div Jan 69-Jan 70 US Army Aug 63-Feb 72
  18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    It's a difficult place to visit.

Curt 5th SFG Airborne 1966-1967
  19. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    A lot of bad memories! Seems like a thousand years ago now.! I work at Ft. Rucker now and with a lot of heros! Lost several friends in that war! Today Vietnam is accient History to the kids today who know nothing of it! Too bad many get their info(mostly twisted) from some liberal puke college professor!We didn't LOSE the war! We had beaten them and forced the peace treaty which the North broke after seeing the opportunity with the resigning of Nixon. The liberal congress(contolled by the Democrats) refused to fund the counter attack, forcing tne U.S. to go back on it's word to reengage if the North invaded. Pres. Ford got blamed, but it was the liberal congress who was responsible!With no funds to fight with, Ford had no choice but to order a hastly caotic withdrawl! South Vietnaemese troops,along with men,women and children were slaughterd by the thousands by the invading Communist! Some estimates that the Killing along with Cambodia and Laios ran far into the
    MILLIONS! At any rate it is something this country may never live down! The American service men and women were true! It was their own Government who betrayed them!!----M.E. Brazell USAF Retired 1969-1995
  20. soup

soup Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I wonder if the American people and Veterans Organizations , that if not totally shunned , but more or less ignored ,the returning men and women that served in the Viet Nam War feel any remorse for their actions ??

I'm greatfull that the Veterans returning today from war are greated with thanks and respect . I'm told a lot of the groups welcomming the troops home are actually Veterans of the Viet Nam , that my friends is a class act .

God Bless All of Them .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.